Stationary Turrets(Autocannons) possible?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I remember hearing that it was possible to turn on the AI on ships docked to a normal docking port and effectively turn it in a stationary turret that only fires when the target is in its field of vision.

just tried this out and my stationary turret wasn't firing at a pirate i had spawned. is this a bug? or is it on longer possible?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    I have not tried it in a while, but it use to be possible. You need to make sure that the AI is set to turret as well as turned on.

Reaction score
    I was trying to get this to work on my honor Harrington ship since broadside is their preferred weapons setup but I was couldn't get it to work.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    My old stuff still works.

I had found that only top and side-mounted fixed-turrets would fire in the correct direction when using cannons regardless of weapons computer orientation. Side-mounted when pilot-fired would shoot wrong but controlled by the AI it shoots forwards. Missiles seemed to follow the direction of the weapons computer properly.

Reaction score
    My old stuff still works.

I had found that only top and side-mounted fixed-turrets would fire in the correct direction when using cannons regardless of weapons computer orientation. Side-mounted when pilot-fired would shoot wrong but controlled by the AI it shoots forwards. Missiles seemed to follow the direction of the weapons computer properly.
    I hope this is the case as I was planning to put some fixed AI missile banks along each side of my new build.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I'm trying to figure out have to have docked auto-tracking missile platforms for a ship or station. I want it to work like a turret, but I want it stationary. If this isn't possible, I have another design in mind, but auto-firing missile silos have been very effective in testing.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I'm trying to figure out have to have docked auto-tracking missile platforms for a ship or station. I want it to work like a turret, but I want it stationary. If this isn't possible, I have another design in mind, but auto-firing missile silos have been very effective in testing.
    as far as i can tell you can't have the best of both worlds. you can only have a tracking turret or a stationary one.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    You might be able to make it work with chained docking.
    1. Host ship with a standard docking bay (large docking area)
    2. static docked ship with a turret docking bay inside (medium docking area) This will be the static shell for the real missile turret.
    3. missile turret ship.

The statically-docked shell might need a lot of holes in it to allow weapons through.
    Edit: and you'll want to round-out the corners of the real turret, so that it doesn't show through the shell when it turns around.

Reaction score
    I remember hearing that it was possible to turn on the AI on ships docked to a normal docking port and effectively turn it in a stationary turret that only fires when the target is in its field of vision.

just tried this out and my stationary turret wasn't firing at a pirate i had spawned. is this a bug? or is it on longer possible?
    This absolutely works. I do it all the time. You just have to make sure the AI is on and set to "turret" and to fire at "any" (or selected target, but let's keep this simple for now).