Station Specific Buff(s)

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Brief Suggestion:

Implement a single-block system that buffs stations & planets only, based on Faction Points. Station Security Computer, Defense Mainframe, Faction Mainframe, Installation Protection Grid, Skynet or any number of names would be appropriate.

Suggested Features:

1. A single block that applies a percentage buff to ALL a station or claimed planet's defense related systems (perhaps even power grids?). Shields, turrets, armor HP, structure HP... maybe? Whatever. Meaning at highest levels and depending on server settings all of a faction's stations fitted with this block could enjoy double, triple or even better performance from the shields, weapons, attached turrets and perhaps even armor. At low levels inactive and tiny 1-2 man factions (again depending on server) might only be seeing a 4-5% bonus.

2. An effectiveness for the buff that scales with the faction's relative activity level. I mean taking into account all large and small factions, creating an average from their current FP every faction tick, and using a particular faction's relationship to that average as the basis for their installation defensive buff. So an inactive small faction that's been abandoned will slowly wind down towards 0% performance increase while factions with very active members will enjoy very high levels of station and planet defense.

3. Server-configurable level of buff that can easily be set to as low as 5-10% as high as 500-1,000% or even higher.

Reasoning:

Stations & faction planets are vital. Not only to RP and entire feel of the game, but to controlling territory for mining and defense. They have a very slight mass:firepower edge over ships through lack of need for thrust.

There are several effect blocks that apply to ships only though – movement buffs like Push, Pull, Stop & Explosion in particular. Also Radar Jammer & Cloak are ship-specific abilities. The small difference in eschewing thrusters does NOT balance stations against the mobility & abilities of ships. We can throw ships at a station in waves and should our ship be exhausted we simply respawn at base, order a replacement from the shipyard, and shortly rejoin the siege, but stations have no way to reinforce their strength. They are at their strongest the first moment of an engagement.

Currently options for vulnerable stations are 1) build them cheap and slight for easy replacement and 2) build them as 500K mass behemoths that require a small team to take down, with #2 the most popular of those, in my experience. But let's be honest - such large installations cause performance problems for many sometimes all. Regardless of the fantastic improvements Schine has made in performance recently.

The ability to vastly strengthen bases against ships with a single block drawing its strength from faction activity level (FP) instead of more and more massive swaths of system blocks both improves balance and fun (because people want stations & planets – preferably one's that can hold their own), but also enriches the game dynamics by bringing further elements into play could be a major improvement. It could also provide additional incentive for team building, teamwork, cooperation and joining a proper faction instead of many folks simply making a personal one for the invulnerability protection.

Planets in particular need this. They are big and slow to load already. Add a big complex complete with factory and turrets and it can become a nightmare. Yet shouldn't a planet be an extremely hard target for a ship to take down? Even the Volgons needed a massive fleet to destroy the Earth – just imagine if the planet was shielded and firing massive surface-to-space volleys at attackers! But building all of those systems up to par at normal performance requires building a titan into the planet without some way to buff it.

Such buffing would not render installations invincible, even at very high levels. It would make them less than ideal targets for casual raiding and trolling. They would simply become "bosses", especially those belonging to very large, active factions.

Basing the effects on relative FP seems best, since a conservative faction might amass insane amounts of FP that would unbalance the system. Whereas in a limited relative system you'd be gaining just as much staying active in your smaller faction than joining a larger faction since your activity level would actually reduce the effectiveness of your competition's defenses at the same time it increases yours.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ships can have burst-fire.

Stations need to be prepared to
    1. be trolled by fake-targets
    2. get sniped their turret-fix-points by warheads from invisible ships
    3. suffer the inability to focus all their firepower on the target
    4. and more ....
    Optimally, the first station of a faction
    1. is stronger than any single ship (not stronger than a fleet), because the ships are designed for jumping, thrusting, ...
    2. has private areas for faction-members (which doesn't lose access-ability lost when you get kicked out of it).
    3. Is a very risky target, because it costs less than a ship of similar strength.
    How to archive that:
    1. Make a very cheap armour with very high mass (ships don't want that much mass) - currently it makes it just bigger if you add much more blocks with lower hp
    2. Draw Station-energy from some static micro-singularity and increase mobile-reactors cost by a lot.
    3. Put turrets on a magnetic hook and let them fly around the station.
      • optimally, they are between the station and the ship, intercepting the attackers before the station is in range of their damage.
      • they could have a more efficient evasion (without thrusters) and be supplied by the station before it is actually under attack.
      • ((call it adv. Satellite-technology))

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    No interest at all in stations that can hold their own without magical invincibility in this game, eh?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I certainly have interest in stations that aren't worthless without HB protection. Here's a few ideas I'll regurgitate that would make them better.

- Station's defensive blocks should get a flat buff compared to their use on a ship. Armor values & HP increase, shield capacity increase, shield recharge rate increased. No need for new systems.
    - Passive scanner systems, to reveal cloakers nearby without needing a human faction member being there to manually activate
    - Decrease cost to zero credits, just need a block to start it with.
    - Be able to set them up to buy X sized ships with credits to be called in for defense like pirate reinforcements.
    - MOST IMPORTANT (imo): Some way for them to repair automatically to BP specs. Having your outposts take damage and having to manually repair them is ass. It should be a slow process though so they aren't OP.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like most of what you said BDLS, but I don't know if I agree on zero-cost. Perhaps require 10000 blocks (blueprint) on a station else it expires after a day?
    I'd like stations that automatically purchase new ships, but only if you can't lure them out.
    No interest at all in stations that can hold their own without magical invincibility in this game, eh?
    I have more interest in a limit of how big a single ship can be to attack that station.
    Assaults should require some planing. From 2 smaller ships 1 can die before succeeding, while a big ship may just steamroll one station after another.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sure, I suppose if stations stop sucking the credit cost or block requirement type thing you suggested would be fine.

Not much interest in this thread, thought it would be more popular. Something has gotta be done.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I certainly have interest in stations that aren't worthless without HB protection. Here's a few ideas I'll regurgitate that would make them better.

- Station's defensive blocks should get a flat buff compared to their use on a ship. Armor values & HP increase, shield capacity increase, shield recharge rate increased. No need for new systems.
    - Passive scanner systems, to reveal cloakers nearby without needing a human faction member being there to manually activate
    - Decrease cost to zero credits, just need a block to start it with.
    - Be able to set them up to buy X sized ships with credits to be called in for defense like pirate reinforcements.
    - MOST IMPORTANT (imo): Some way for them to repair automatically to BP specs. Having your outposts take damage and having to manually repair them is ass. It should be a slow process though so they aren't OP.
    You forgot to mention that every station shouldn't show up on everyone's maps the moment they appear at spawn...

I know - I agree with most (not all) of these. Every thread discussing improving stations goes into all these different directions and everyone just gets off on tangents arguing about the huge variety of options & issues.

I was focusing specifically on the idea of a station buff not because I haven't read all these other options but because I wanted to break the station issue down into its parts. I was hoping productive discussion could be had about one aspect of the issue instead of circling about from tangent to tangent.

But yeah - doesn't seem like a very interesting topic for most. Which shouldn't be surprising. I sometimes get the impression that a lot of players not only perfectly love their invulnerable bases (and just use alts to make more) but would really love their ships to be invulnerable too and just do away with all the weapons and armor and shields because it's all too stressful and dangerous ;-)

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Some invulnerable stations around spawn are good for diversity.

But if HQ stations should remain invincible, vulnerable stations elsewhere should give some use. Except on a pure PvE server.