Station Orientation Problems

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've been experiencing some odd problems with stations which I discovered first while working on my default station contest entry, which I will use as an example.

http://starmadedock.net/content/erebus-class-shipyard.1064/

When built, this station was orientated to C, or so I thought. Now, the SMP in which I built this station is long overwritten, and each time I load in a new one, no matter what orientation the station is rotated 90 degrees off of the intended axis.

What makes this most infuriating is that docking modules are all mis-aligned, and since docking modules cannot be orientated at this point, I am left with a completely useless dock.

I'm wondering if I messed up when originally building this station, or if this is a bug somebody else has encountered. Any solutions you can come up with would be fantastic.

Reaction score
    You should be able to rotate docking modules in build mode (using build block). Hold ctrl and look for the rotate arrows.

If you mean that the docked ship faces a different way to what you want, then yeah, it is a problem.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I know what he means and it's not the orientation of the module itself, it's the orientation of the docked entity when its in use.

I have also experienced a similar issue, but for me it wasn't game threatening. so at the time i didn't report it, but now clearly that was a mistake.

I could fix it by moving the module around, but the way his is constructed, I can clearly see the issue more than it was on mine. personally, I think the only real fix, is to configure some way to set the docks docking direction separate from its modules orientation

clearly once again docking, has proved the system and its limitations are at best broken, and at worse, a total failure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yea this is a known problem. When you build a station it spawns facing 90 degrees of the galactic north (the c direction). It was explained somewhere why it does it, but it was never fixed.
    If you build a dock assuming the station is facing the right way it would explain why they dont work as intended

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, I seemed to have missed that whole spiel... It's probably because I've never really spawned in stations until now.

Could anybody use SMedit to do this? Or perhaps theorize whether or not it is possible?

EDIT: It only took me around an hour of dicking around to figure out that while this would be possible in SMedit, I'll have to wait until such a time as the program accepts new BPs.

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    The station takes the orientation you personally have when loading it.
    Same mechanic as with ships, but with stations it can be a irreversible pain, so when trying to load a station you should go into core, and press C and hold it while opening the chat to type the /load command.
    This way you make sure its oriented correctly.

If something went wrong, you can rotate the station by really carefully turning around 90° after pressing C and then spawning it.
    Saving it then, as sector export, creates a usable station for import.
    Didnt try to re-'/save' it yet, but may help to correct it.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Do they actually load in facing the C direction though? Or 90 degrees to it like they do when you originally build it? If its different thats still a big problem

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yes, they load in properly, and I know how to align them to my character or a core.

The problem was when I initially built the station I didn't realize/remember that they are not aligned to "galactic north" as a ship core would be.