Station Discovery

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Unlike some of my previously undoubtedly insightful suggestions, this one is fairly simple.

Let's say that I have scanned a system and I am now going and visiting the stations to discover them. Tell me, exactly how close do I need to get for the station to be discovered? Because it is too close. I'm not even speaking from a perspective of laziness but common sense. My Navigation menu can pick up stations at a reasonable distance, but for some reason that doesn't count as discovered.

So let's say we have a pirate station. This pirate station is shooting at me, I can see the pirate station visually, and my Navigation menu has detected that it is a pirate station. And yet, it is still listed as undiscovered? How? How have I not discovered it? Do I need to ram my ship directly into it to discover it? Because sometimes even that doesn't bloody work.

tl;dr - Station discovery radius is stupidly small.

Reaction score
    Worse, Station Discovery is absurdly slow to update.

I once rammed into a Pirate Eta in singleplayer. Took the game 30 minutes after I jumped away to realize "oh, carp, that's a filthy pirate station"

Both discovery range (needing to be in the station's sector) and the update time need fixing.

Reaction score
    I agree, could we change it so that using scanners nearby a station (maybe a 2-4 sector radius) would automatically force a map update so you could instantly find out what the station is, without having to go to the station. This would be a good addition to the way you can scan the contents of a system to find out what's in it in the first place.

At the moment, it like you have to be either in the same sector as the station or about 1 sector away to pick it up, and even then it takes the map along while to update. This is especially dangerous with hostile stations, because the first indication that you've found a pirate station is that you start seeing red markers in your nav and somebody starts whittling down your shields.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Yeah, this is some kind of update issue. Could be server tick or something. If you linger for a bit even at a distance outside the sector, sometimes that works for me. Except for Pirate Alpha stations with the long range missiles.

Most of the time I use stealth ships with permacloak and jammer.