Station Construction Block

Reaction score
    I thought it would be cool if there was an advanced block to help out with station construction, and came up with the idea of a block where you can save blueprints and deploy station blueprints.

Saving a blueprint

• This block mode is where you place it on a existing station, press R, and save the station it's attached to as a blueprint. The blueprint would be saved in the ship catalog under stations.
    Using saved blueprints

• My idea for this is when you make a new station, you put the station construction block on the first block for the station. You can then press R and find the station blueprint that you're looking for (you could toggle whether you wanted it ghosted or not, see ghosting info further down).

• The rest would be much like the ship blueprint system, supplying the required blocks for build to the station construction block. One difference could be that the station builds itself as it gets the items it needs, so that the person building the station still has somewhere to be safe. The station would be built outwards from the station construction block.

• The placement of the station construction block when saving a blueprint is important, because when you use the blueprint, the block on the blueprint would match up to the one on the new station.
    Using the block as a building guide

• This is where the ghosting function would come in handy. Say when you want to build a shape like a sphere, but don't know how. The ghosting function would be similar to the build helper, but using a larger variety of shapes, allowing better construction capabilities. It would allow you to ghost a shape and build it yourself using any material you have, even when you're in a build block. You could also do this with other blueprints available.
    Offset

• This function would allow the user of the station construction block to offset any blueprints to any existing stations for additions to a station you have. Ghosting would come in handy for offsetting, as you can see the additions before deciding to make them.
    I will try to make some images to help support my ideas at some point soon.

Thanks for looking at my idea

DarkFusion

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I thought it would be cool if there was an advanced block to help out with station construction, and came up with the idea of a block where you can save blueprints and deploy station blueprints.

Saving a blueprint

• This block mode is where you place it on a existing station, press R, and save the station it's attached to as a blueprint. The blueprint would be saved in the ship catalog under stations.
    Using saved blueprints

• My idea for this is when you make a new station, you put the station construction block on the first block for the station. You can then press R and find the station blueprint that you're looking for (you could toggle whether you wanted it ghosted or not, see ghosting info further down).

• The rest would be much like the ship blueprint system, supplying the required blocks for build to the station construction block. One difference could be that the station builds itself as it gets the items it needs, so that the person building the station still has somewhere to be safe. The station would be built outwards from the station construction block.

• The placement of the station construction block when saving a blueprint is important, because when you use the blueprint, the block on the blueprint would match up to the one on the new station.
    Using the block as a building guide

• This is where the ghosting function would come in handy. Say when you want to build a shape like a sphere, but don't know how. The ghosting function would be similar to the build helper, but using a larger variety of shapes, allowing better construction capabilities. It would allow you to ghost a shape and build it yourself using any material you have, even when you're in a build block. You could also do this with other blueprints available.
    Offset

• This function would allow the user of the station construction block to offset any blueprints to any existing stations for additions to a station you have. Ghosting would come in handy for offsetting, as you can see the additions before deciding to make them.
    I will try to make some images to help support my ideas at some point soon.

Thanks for looking at my idea

DarkFusion
    The offsetting might prove next to impossible.
    However, AFAIK the rest is planned.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    This function would allow the user of the station construction block to offset any blueprints to any existing stations for additions to a station you have. Ghosting would come in handy for offsetting, as you can see the additions before deciding to make them.
    You mean, you paste down something you've already saved onto an exisiting structure? We can do that already.