station blocks on ships

Reaction score
    why not remove the restriction of placing certain blocks on other things? if anyone has ever played with the deadulus class remake from stargate, you'd know it's quicker and easier to smash through the ship then to take the numerous levels of stairs...
    or perhaps you've been annoyed with not having a nearby shop?
    maybe you "live" aboard your ship and would rather respawn on it?

I can see why they were locked off initially, but the game has come far from the older days, i'm sure the game can render the plex lift going "up" relative to it's "bottom" block, even aboard a ship...
    the shop storage is actually rather small, link it to plex chests (and lock the chests, and destroy contents if they are destroyed) and we could drastically increase the shop "max", and also allow "small" shops on ships...
    (make the shop available to DOCKED ships, and disable ejection of that dock until the buy menu is closed, basically by pressing "b" it begins a short timer, each time it runs out, it checks if a shop is in range, interacting with the shop also triggers the timer to run out, once a shop is no longer in range, the timer stops reseting, and the client is told there is no longer a shop in range, the dialog is closed.)

as for the respawn, set it to respawn "in front" of it, and we can place it ourselves suitably, upon "spawn" if it's attached to a ship, teleport AND attach them to it's gravity. (also make a 10-15 block distance from the "core" to reduce the people using it to jump back in their overheating core to fire another shot...)

to prevent abuse, limit shops to ONE per ship, and respawners should be locked to one person a spawner, each spawner costing 2x the power... so that by the time you have ten aboard a ship, it's draining a fair amount of power, and if you had one hundred... well... let's say it'll be very big.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    but the things that can only be placed on the stations make so stations
    aren't so bad.

Reaction score
    stations are still useful, you still can't make a faction home a ship for example (although we should be able to track faction members as waypoints, and need to be able to tag things of interest for the faction)
    stations would not incur the respawner penalty for example,
    also note that a ship would have to "dock" to use a shop module onboard another ship,
    a station or planet would still be the only way to trade with non faction members, or even enemies...
    there's also the station ship building system people are pushing for. not to mention, manufacturing, that's still a station thing, and where else are you going to jump to other stations? jump drive is great, but warp gate has no charge up (that i've seen, but last time i played with it was still only just in the release version)
    and covers 16X the distance (default settings),
    the only system i'm suggesting actually gets straight dumped to ships is the plex-lifter...

Reaction score
    This is a balance issue. I really want plex lifts on ships and I think you should be able to respawn of ships in single player but some of these things have balance issues or technical bugs that are difficult to fix/can't be fixed.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Forget plex lifts. I really want stand-alone, enclosed elevator cabs. Pre-made structures that run along a predesigned path within or on the outside of the structure (ship, station, skyscraper, etc.), which might not necessarily need to go just up and down. I would like to see the plex lift block eventually be repurposed as a linear movement block, but I definitely want it replaced as an elevator.

Sadly, I'm not good enough with logic and planning to make a ship-board elevator with the blocks we have now, so I'm looking forward to the movement blocks the devs will develop for us in the future to enable this crazy idea.

Reaction score
    Forget plex lifts. I really want stand-alone, enclosed elevator cabs. Pre-made structures that run along a predesigned path within or on the outside of the structure (ship, station, skyscraper, etc.), which might not necessarily need to go just up and down. I would like to see the plex lift block eventually be repurposed as a linear movement block, but I definitely want it replaced as an elevator.

Sadly, I'm not good enough with logic and planning to make a ship-board elevator with the blocks we have now, so I'm looking forward to the movement blocks the devs will develop for us in the future to enable this crazy idea.
    Make a tunnel in your ship, a ship core with few "seats" (build blocks) and one docking station to each stop of the elevator and you're good to go.

By the way, I am for the Undeathinator (or how it's called) to be buildable on the ships, but something like 30 blocks away from the core and any build block on the ship. Also, being able to place ship-blocks and station-blocks on existing structure would make it a lot easier to have an asteroid ship or a planet station...

Reaction score

thank you jayman38 for this idea,
    devs could borrow large amounts of existing code...
    * turret dock, except remove the mouse aim feature...
    *plex-lift's "path" code (for rail)
    but they'd need some new code, namely, i suggest using the "ship core" as a centre, for a 6-direction control, by placing 6 logic blocks around it (every side), it'll follow the activated direction. clever people could setup complex logic rigs to navigate literal mazes...

i'd not mind another two blocks... "rail" and "cab-dock"
    placing a "cab-dock" on a rail makes that spot a "stop"
    placing one on a "ship" makes that point (whichever way it's facing too) connect to a rail's "cab-dock"
    basically the two "cab-docks" connect directly to eachother. and ONLY eachother. that is the "meeting" point...
    any logic block connected to the cab block makes it moved, but relative to the core (ship core)...
    so you'd have up, down, left, right, forward, and back...
    anytime you hit a rail junction, it'd stop.
    by docking a "cab-dock" to another "cab-dock" on seperate "ships", causes the second to slave... so it'll follow the first "carriage", like a train... note, they will not be "connected" as such, the second would merely repeat any instruction as the first did, so it'd take the same route, and such... but since directions and orientations could change, a physical connection would make it crazy, they'd seperate by a short distance on "launch".

basically it'd ride a rail, until it reached a stop, or a junction.
    a logic block connected to any "stop" calls the "cab" to it...
    a rail's orientation sets the direction for the cab...
    any gravity generator onboard is always activated whilst travelling...
    so if you wanted a flat platform, that happens to do loop the loops... fine... as long as a grav generator is aboard, the player won't fall off...
    or you can make a fancy, enclosed multi-cab train... where each carriage is "magnetically" pulled after the first (lol, BS excuse)
    if you wanted a typical plain elevator. easy...
    if you wanted to ride a titan through the rails... great, so long as there s room to actually "fit" it... (why? the hell...)
    a simple, but incredibly efficient elevator, and then we could ditch the plex-lifts...

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm all for undeathinators onboard ships. Power draw would be the most reasonable way to balance them.

I'd also like to see factories on ships, but with a slight nerf to efficiency (presumably due to vibrations, inertia, and gyroscopic force onboard a ship). I mean, there are plenty of sci-fi works that include a "factory ship." One of my favorite game series, Metroid Prime featured a small gunship with onboard micro-factories to produce ammunition.

As for elevators, I don't mind them being simple platforms like on Metroid Prime, but we really do need something better, and there should be no restriction about placing elevators on ships. That was originally done because of technical issues with ship orientation, which was a poor decision in my opinion.

Reaction score
    I'm all for undeathinators onboard ships. Power draw would be the most reasonable way to balance them.

I'd also like to see factories on ships, but with a slight nerf to efficiency (presumably due to vibrations, inertia, and gyroscopic force onboard a ship). I mean, there are plenty of sci-fi works that include a "factory ship." One of my favorite game series, Metroid Prime featured a small gunship with onboard micro-factories to produce ammunition.

As for elevators, I don't mind them being simple platforms like on Metroid Prime, but we really do need something better, and there should be no restriction about placing elevators on ships. That was originally done because of technical issues with ship orientation, which was a poor decision in my opinion.
    Something like 50k energy for one plexundeatinator and the factory cycle requiring 2 times more power and 2 times more time?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Something like 50k energy for one plexundeatinator and the factory cycle requiring 2 times more power and 2 times more time?
    Something like that, although I think the factory should require slightly more resources as well to further motivate the use of stationary factories. Most people won't be put off at all by double energy and time, so I think there needs to be a resource tradeoff.

Reaction score
    Something like that, although I think the factory should require slightly more resources as well to further motivate the use of stationary factories. Most people won't be put off at all by double energy and time, so I think there needs to be a resource tradeoff.
    So what than?

Reaction score
    What about requiring 10 times the energy and 10 times the time to build the same thing? A good tradeoff if you're far away from any planet, you won/escped the battle but you have no thrusters left whatsoever, as well as no cores and no Jump Drive Computer and/or no Module for it. It will take 10 times the time, or even 50 times the time and 50 times the energy, but it WILL (eventually) make a thruster, so you could use it to actually get into a shop's range and buy more (if it haves in-stock)...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Forget plex lifts. I really want stand-alone, enclosed elevator cabs. Pre-made structures that run along a predesigned path within or on the outside of the structure (ship, station, skyscraper, etc.), which might not necessarily need to go just up and down. ..
    Am I the only one that wants a Wonka-vater now? :D