Static texturepack

Reaction score
    Dear Sirs,
    I am utterly tired of searching for this option, looks like it is not implemented. But still, is there a way to stop the blocks from changing their texture? I mean the shield blocks, engines etc. They swap from one frame to another, making kind of animation, I'd like to switch it off to save fps's.

Reaction score
    I saw in a previous thread that this can be turned off if you configure the individual textures. I believe each block has the property of "animate" which can be set to true or false. It will be a pain to go through them all and change it though. Maybe a texture pack is out with no animation. I haven't seen any though

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    .... I don't think they have a large impact on FPS

You playing on a potato? o_O

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Open up /starmade/data/config/BlockConfig.xml
    Find and replace "<Animated>true</Animated>" with "<Animated>false</Animated>"
    Save, and restart starmade. All animated textures will now stop.

EDIT: this will have to be done for every starmade update, as the blockconfig gets overwritten on updates.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    I'm pretty sure Kupu said a while back that they do in fact have an effect on FPS but it's really small.
    I play on a 6+ year old macbook. Before recent optimisations, i noticed a slight (2-3) frame increase when turning them off. It could of been anecdotal. I notice no difference now, simply due to the game running better.

@linwe talion The texture files them selves are not animated, everything is in a static png. The game will simply assign a new texture on the block every n seconds from a 4 part texture, looping the 4 parts to create a basic animation.

This is controlled in the config individually per block. You can disable them by following these steps;

In your launcher, click the tab labelled 'modding', then block editor.
    You will find a directory list on the left, navigate the folders to find your animated blocks. (power gen, power tank, docking enhancers, lava, shield gen, shield cap, crystal circuits etc)

Click the entry you wish to edit, find the "animated" toggle in the options and set to false.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Titan, :D that method also works if you don't want to use the editor.

Reactions: Titansmasher
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I play on a 6+ year old macbook. Before recent optimisations, i noticed a slight (2-3) frame increase when turning them off. It could of been anecdotal. I notice no difference now, simply due to the game running better.

@linwe talion The texture files them selves are not animated, everything is in a static png. The game will simply assign a new texture on the block every n seconds from a 4 part texture, looping the 4 parts to create a basic animation.

This is controlled in the config individually per block. You can disable them by following these steps;

In your launcher, click the tab labelled 'modding', then block editor.
    You will find a directory list on the left, navigate the folders to find your animated blocks. (power gen, power tank, docking enhancers, lava, shield gen, shield cap, crystal circuits etc)

Click the entry you wish to edit, find the "animated" toggle in the options and set to false.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Titan, :D that method also works if you don't want to use the editor.
    pfft noob, using the inbuilt editor... ;) lol ^^

But kupus method will most likely be easier for individual blocks. To disable all of them, mine will most likely be.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Open up /starmade/data/config/BlockConfig.xml
    Find and replace "<Animated>true</Animated>" with "<Animated>false</Animated>"
    Save, and restart starmade. All animated textures will now stop.

EDIT: this will have to be done for every starmade update, as the blockconfig gets overwritten on updates.
    This works really well when using custom configs. Place that value for every animated block in it, and you'll always have them not animated.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    This works really well when using custom configs. Place that value for every animated block in it, and you'll always have them not animated.
    In the future, yes, that would be the best way. But on the latest release there is a bug with the config injection that will most likely stop it working (although that may only be with new blocks, not 100% on that) worth a try however :)

Reaction score
    thank you all a lot for the informations, it seems very relevant and informative. But I have another dumb question.
    How can I see the changes I made in case I am playing in multiplayer? Seems like my client uses the server-side configs and doesn't let me see any changes when I am inline.
    I am pretty sure that can't be handled, but maybe someone knows stuff about it?

Thank u a lot once again.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    So you're playing on somebody's server? I'm sorry, but I don't think you can switch animations off then. The animation is built into the config, and unless it is one of the things that gets changed with the texture pack, it can't be disabled (and I'm fairly certain it is built into the config).

You could of course try to use a custom config to overwrite the server config. It might not work, but it is worth trying.

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    U could just change your textures .pngs

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Errr.

You go to data/image-resource/blocks and then you pick the tex pack and then the resolution. Then there will a some .PNGs called t100 or something.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Thadius Faran :
    But how do you actually edit the png? And I know I now sound like a noob, but the truth is, when it comes to texture editing I am even worse than a noob. So please help me (?)

Reilly Reese

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    with any photo editing software. Preferably something that saves transparency >_>