Starship Heart of Gold (up for download!)

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd always loved the heart of gold design that was built from a shower head in the 80's hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy:

in addition to this overall, shape, i wanted to build something like that that fit some of the descriptions in the book (e.g. looks like a sleek running shoe, 150 meters long, included sections that made arthur dent feel dizzy).

what's a Heart of Gold without an improbability drive? this ship also functions well as a scouting or exploration craft in starmade, boasting a quick-scan and a jump time of about 6 seconds, which it can comfortably accomplish while radar jammed and traveling at an 85% overdrive speed, making it ideal for outrunning anything on its tail.

other features include:
    • rail animated ceiling
    • rail animated elevator with safety glass
    • rail animated improbability drive
    • logic animated exterior lighting

the completed version of this ship is now available for download:
    http://starmadedock.net/content/starship-heart-of-gold.3406/

additional screenshots from the development of this build are available here
    :
    * screenshots make use of plusnine's fancy starmade effects

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    not quite yet, no. i still have to finish the final interior chambers up front and pimp out the light display on the front end to be more multi-layered as it appears in the show.

i want to do an animated smiling "eddie" computer face panel of some sort, and some other fun hitchhiker's details.

i am still making progress on it, just been distracted working with rails and logic on my pvp map, "Spathi Basin". i promise i will release this ship and have a proper video tour for it when it's finished, though.

thank you for your interest!

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    When can I get this ship? I need it....
    TL;DR: next patch, i hope.

i'm waiting for a few things to stabilize in the rail and wireless systems in the game before i call it "finished".

i did, however, complete the interior and additional systems. it's been a busy month for me at my job, but i'll get a nice feature video done for the upload.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Three words come to mind...
    Gotta. Go. FAST.

My nostalgia thanks you for bringing the shoe to life.

Reaction score
    • Railman
    • Wired for Logic
    thanks for the interest this weekend, folks, here are some screenshots to whet your appetite:

the completed exterior, with three rows of scrolling headlights

as the in-book descriptions of the following are pretty scant (the viewing room described as "the size of a small restaurant" --
    the common room. big green couch, stocked bar for all the pan galactic gargle-blasters you can stomach. there's a working elevator with safety glass that leads to and from the core room at the back there.

a canteen perfect for a chat about life, the universe or anything

ford and arthur's bunks

medical / marvin's charging station

added a cool little pop-top to the rear end for a shuttle dock. fun and easy!

i promise i have not forgotten to release this, just working out the final kinks and details!