Starship Boosts

Reaction score
    So today, during a long car trip, i had the Idea of ship boosts.
    Here's what i have written:

StarMade Boosts

Speed Limit

Boost Limits:

Min Thrust/Mass for Boost

Boost Speed Limit > Actual Boost Speed > SpeedLimit

Boost Speed gets greater the more Thrust/Mass you have, up to Boost Limit

Double tap W and hold for boost (duration described below)

Double tap a/s/q/e for directional boost (one shot boost)

When holding the rotate key a/s boost does a barrel roll in addition to boosting.

Boosts require power

Boosts have a max duration depending on the max amount of power up to a cap.

Boosts may require a sort of thrust controller that the thrusters are connected to. Without a such controller, only standard controlling works.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah I was thinking boosters would be a cool addition. There should be a boost engine type block that would consume one of the many resources in the game as a fuel. The more of them you add to your ship, the more boost speed, and higher your maximum speed would be, but each one would use up fuel when activated.

Reaction score
    Well, i thought boosts shouldn\'t use fuel or at least a renewable fuel. But they can use power. (Also I thought of them as short-distance boosts, like 1-2 seconds)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    If you\'re suggesting an absolute max limit and rather than saying \"me no like\" how would that work exactly considering the trend in ship building? If you\'re suggesting something like a \"soff limit\" that\'s tied into the configuration of your engines I think that could work.

Reaction score
    The speed and boost limit:
    speed limit limits flight speed without boost.
    boost limit limits flight speed with boost.
    this is to keep the engine from overloading as it has to do more physics updates when the flight speed is higher.
    But boost duration should be not too long to stop people from boosting constantly. Maybe have a boost meter that gets depleted through boosting and fills up over time.
    The directional boosts were thought to be a mobility upgrade to help dodge shots. (Mobile ships are cool) the W boost may be used for chasing, so it would be longer, but not infinitely expandable to stop people from flying through sectors ridiculously fast. And also I would like to keep the overall speed limit at around 50. Boosts will make you faster than that of course, but I don\'t want people to constantly boost (because that would destroy the concept of a boost as a small short-time speed upgrade)
    Boosts should in my opinion be only a short-range mobility upgrade and not something like a \"hyperspeed drive\"
    also, I like small trickships like the Arwing from starfox where it\'s not \"stand still and shoot till he dies\", but \"dodge and aim\" and of course: \"do a barrel roll\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    \"But boost duration should be not too long to stop people from boosting constantly. Maybe have a boost meter that gets depleted through boosting and fills up over time.\"
    I like that idea and it makes sense. I was thinking of a kind reversed limit; the bigger the ship the less boost you\'d get which would make them moot on big capital ships.
    \"do a barrel roll\"
    Lol haven\'t played that game in forever!

Reaction score
    It will get less of a benefit, the bigger the ship gets, because with let\'s say a 20 block advantage a small ship will easily dodge shots, while a big one will still be hit.
    But what is still concerning, is the w boost. Big ships can easily fit thrusters anywhere and sometimes have a thrust/mass ratio of 10/1. to make it scale down with size, maybe make the boost benefit scsle with thrust/2mass or thrust/mass squared.

Reaction score
    I am not sure on this. How about a block that only works with ships with less than 100 mass, and allows short boosts forward and quick barrel rolls but has a 10+ sec cooldown each time you do a boost or barrel roll.
    The reason I think it should work only under certain mass is because I don\'t want to see star destroyers doing crazy physics breaking flips or whatever..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it sounds like a good sugestions, but like Nitris said only smaller ships can use maneuvers. big ones could use only boost and have it take a lot of power or something, but not do any evasive manuvers.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I love the boost idea but not so much the arbitrary ship size cap for fancy manuvers. Why not a simple diminishing returns system, where after X number of boosters the increase is reduced. That way if somebody is inclined too they could make a big ship made out of mostly boosters still and do some fancy manuvers, but it needs a significantly higher booster to mass ratio than a smaller ship.

But a big ship with just a few boosters could try to do those fancy manuvers, but they wouldn\'t amount to anything more than maybe a single block hiccup in the direction. A big ship doing a barrel roll with the same ratio of boosters to mass as a smaller ship would quickly roll maybe 10 degrees before saying nope and be out of power.

Kinda like how you can still cloak a big ship if yer willing to make the thing almost completely out of power blocks.