Votes: 12 100.0%
    • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    The purpose of this thread is quite straightforward: I intend to increase community participation with Starmadepedia, in the hopes of bringing it up to a consistent level of quality.

There is not a great deal to say: the fact is that, even after some of the significant article rewrites which I have conducted recently, and the great deal of work Crimson-Artist consistently puts into updating a wide range of block articles, Starmadepedia is not up to date. Some of the broader strokes are there, for sure, but there is still a good deal of work to be done before we have useful documentation for every part of the game.

Ideally, we'd have a sudden influx of brilliant contributions, but this is not realistic. One of the best things which you, the players, can do is to track down pages which are incorrect or inconsistent, and either document them for others to work on or fix them yourselves where possible.

Pages which are found to be lacking can be noted in this thread, with a brief explanation of the issue found, and a link to the page. They can also be added to the Community Portal, under "Wanted Pages" for pages which should exist, but do not, or "Needing Assistance" for those which exist and need updating.

The wiki is open to all, and it takes no prior experience to make simple edits to the body text of an article. Table formatting often makes up a deal of the content on Starmadepedia, as statistics are documented frequently; MediaWiki has a useful help page for this (amongst many other topics).

When editing, be sure to keep both the rules and Manual of Style in mind. Encyclopaedic language (which avoids the use of personal pronouns) is preferable, and pages which do feature personal language will be corrected at a later date. That being said, if the content you are adding is meaningful, it is still welcome, and it is preferred to have content which exists, but is inconsistent in style, than content which does not exist.

I hope that this thread will prove useful for the development of the wiki, and that it will allow players who might not normally contribute directly to have some input as to what areas need attention.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    indeed! the biggest issue currently facing the wiki is that the majority of pages lack even basic information. This is the most time consuming part but one that i feel that with the help of members of the community we can do.

We have some of the best, smartest, and most talented players here. It would really help if anyone reading this could at least take a look at the wiki to see what information you can add. You don't have to be a professional writer, as long as the information is there other contributors like me and heillos can come in and elaborate on it as well as make any needed adjustments to the style in order to conform to manual of style.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Well, you inspired me to add pictures to some wiki pages that needed it. Yay!

Reactions: Heillos
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm one of those odd people who actually enjoys writing. Unfortunately writing for such a Wiki requires that you actually know what you are writing about, and while I have been around Starmade a fair bit, I am hardly an expert on the technical side of things. I have made a few minor edits to the Wiki (I seem to recall), mostly correcting typos. I would do more if I knew more.

That said, if there was a technically expert person who wanted to contribute an article, but who does not for lack of writing skill, I would be happy to take their article as a first draft and clean it up for them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There are bunch of little tricks and methods that new players don't know about, I think it's about time that stuff is made public information to give them a chance.

Gott mitt uns, Harm

Bogdan

Grand Master of OOB
    Reaction score
    Inserted section of faction relations and can include a lot more for content if necessary. I don't have time but it doesn't take long so it is ok.
    I am not aware of how to add images so can you please add these 2 images (someone), so it would assist those reading the guide on faction relations.

Faction - StarMade Wiki

image 1
    image 2

Reactions: Heillos
    Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Inserted section of faction relations and can include a lot more for content if necessary. I don't have time but it doesn't take long so it is ok.
    I am not aware of how to add images so can you please add these 2 images (someone), so it would assist those reading the guide on faction relations.

Faction - StarMade Wiki

image 1
    image 2
    Images uploaded and added to the article, as well as overall tweaks (such as adding hotkey markup to the article). Thank you for your contribution!

I figure it wouldn't hurt to address unfamiliar aspects as they are noted, so that we can gradually collect a useful body of knowledge about how to maintain the wiki.

That being said:

• Images are uploaded via this page (also accessible from the sidebar as "Upload Files", when logged in)
    • The upload page features relevant instructions; make sure to name the file clearly (in the "Destination filename" field), with underscores as spaces, and include the file extension (Starmadepedia accepts .png, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, and .svg).
    • The upload page provides a brief summary of the markup used to add images to a page, and this page from the MediaWiki wiki (the documentation for the platform Starmadepedia uses) is also very helpful. "[[File:File_Name.extension|thumb|right|caption]]" is usually pretty good, I would say.
    • Starmadepedia uses Template:K to add preformatted symbols or phrases to pages, which are used to represent the hotkeys for various operations. The format for this markup is {{K|Key name}}, with the key name being the name listed on the template page alongside the desired output (minus the colon).
    • I'm not confident that this template is fully up-to-date, at present, but most functions are there and haven't changed hotkeys in a while. I may be updating the key-list for this template in future. EDIT: I have now updated Template:K entirely, and ever keybind now matches the game's current defaults. I've also rearranged it to match the game's Controls menu, for easier maintenance.

Last edited:

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Now that the wiki can link to the citizen registry, a lot more forum regulars should be willing to contribute. I remember at least one was waiting for that link, to avoid creating one more account. I'm not sure if that individual is still on the forum. They may have moved on since then.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Now that the wiki can link to the citizen registry, a lot more forum regulars should be willing to contribute. I remember at least one was waiting for that link, to avoid creating one more account. I'm not sure if that individual is still on the forum. They may have moved on since then.
    In other words, I'd be much more inclined to contribute or do a few small fix edits here and there if I wouldn't have to create an account, remember another password (and not mix them up), and remember to log in separately whenever I visit the wiki
    Jan, 2016
    It may sound funny, but the one thing that's holding me back is the need to have to create another account; this is a serious entry barrier for me. I'm still hoping one day there will be a unified login via the registry.
    Jul, 2016
    Again, I have stated repeatedly the one thing holding me back was the need to create yet another account, and I can only speak for myself. I do hope registry integration becomes a thing.
    Probably Valck, who's still here ;)

Reaction score
    Probably Valck, who's still here ;)
    I still am, and I stand by what I said.

I absolutely appreciate that I can now simply fix a typo or broken link, I never said I was going to write entire articles or be a major contributor in any way.
    The thing is, I don't visit the wiki that often; but then I'd like to think you didn't implement that feature for me only... ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    So I got on chat asking how much mass a mass enhancer would compensate for. The numbers in the expanded entity structure didn't quite jive with my memory and I was confused. After some nice people held my hand and walked me through it, I was much more knowledgeable. Figuring I could spare folks the grief of the next noob to ask the same question, I headed over to the Wiki and updated it with my new found expertise!

This is how the Wiki can be improved. Every time we find it lacking in info, that we then track down somehow, make the effort to put the freaking info in the freaking wiki! ;)