StarMade - That's Sandbox.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    So I wanted to share something with you all that I've known for some time, but was really driven home last night. I was playing around with a few people on MushroomFleet when a friend of mine, the venerable @Kycomputer flew up in a giant pokeball which he had built (no Smedit). So I hopped in my falcon (it literally looks like a falcon) and docked inside it. We spent the next half hour or so flying up to people, he'd open the top and I'd come flying out at people.

Random? Yes. Strange? ....Probably. But it's something that just isn't possible in other games, it's part of why I love StarMade so much, we're able to do things in this game that you can't in any other game, or at least the range of things possible is what's unmatched. There are a lot of building games out there, and several space building games, but it's possibilities like this that keep coming back every day.

So what are some things you've done which you've never been able to in any other game? Was it some quickly put together space sport? (Space baseball anyone?) Or some complex activity which took months to plan and build for? I'm curious to see what others have been able to do in this crazy (meta-filled) sandbox game. After all it's your universe, you can play how YOU want.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I built space ships made of blocks. And, well, that's it I think.
    No! Wait! Don't go yet! I have something far better than playing the game. And it is:

Editing a config!

That has got to be my favourite part of the entire game. If you want a different experience, you just create it! Oh, I love this game!

Reaction score
    I think the one things which I haven't done yet (but plan to) is building exact replicas of ships, even down to function. The cannon/damage pusle could make for good turbo lasers which I could emulate most SHUMP fighters using cannon/cannon combos. The weapons systems makes it possible to emulate almost ship and their weapons systems very closely.

Although I do wish I could have SE's inverted corners so I could make a good Big Core. Unless someone knows how to make those inward corners without that sort of block. That'd be cool, too.

Reactions: Ithirahad

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    the ability to not only explore a vast and wondrous universe from the perspective of a humble astronaut (seriously, nothing beats the feeling of walking on the surface of a planet and looking up to not only see a beautiful sky but your massive capital ship floating in orbit) but to design every aspect of your ship down to some of the finest details.

I've been looking for a game like this for along time. that combines the fast twitch based combat of flight sims, a huge open world, as well as Minecraft's limitless creativity and accessibility.

I don't think I've ever been this invested in a game like this before. not even minecraft, and I love minecraft to death.

Schema and the Schine team should really be proud of themselves cuz i can see this game becoming HUGE.

Reactions: Keptick
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    the ability to not only explore a vast and wondrous universe from the perspective of a humble astronaut (seriously, nothing beats the feeling of walking on the surface of a planet and looking up to not only see a beautiful sky but your massive capital ship floating in orbit) but to design every aspect of your ship down to some of the finest details.

I've been looking for a game like this for along time. that combines the fast twitch based combat of flight sims, a huge open world, as well as Minecraft's limitless creativity and accessibility.

I don't think I've ever been this invested in a game like this before. not even minecraft, and I love minecraft to death.

Schema and the Schine team should really be proud of themselves cuz i can see this game becoming HUGE.
    I am just like that! I played Minecraft tons but along with other games. Now I play StarMade, period.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I once made a 350 meter long steamship ark for a nation's back-story/capital in Minecraft. It took months of grueling handwork even with building tools. In the end, it lay incomplete. I still liked that I did that even if it found little use besides bragging rights.
    Now if I didn't care that it's design was... Erm, crappy, I could re-build the entire thing in Starmade only a few hours. Heck, with as many people helping as I had back then I could rebuild it in mere minutes. And then fly off into space like any REAL ark and blow up a planet or something.
    That makes me smile and wonder how I could ever play Minecraft when I could have been somehow finding Schema and saying "Yeah, do it. Just do it. It will be fun."
    *Ahem* Fanboying aside I think the spotlight is on the future of Starmade, not it's present.

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    *Ahem* Fanboying aside I think the spotlight is on the future of Starmade, not it's present.
    Agreed, but that's just the thing, we're already able to do so much with StarMade and as it progresses we'll only be able to do even more. This isn't just a game Schema's building, nor even an engine, it's a genuine universe, where we have the freedom to do whatever we want. We can, quite literally, recreate other games within this one. Nothing else gives you that kind of freedom.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Having the ability to create automated ship functions, we can't even do that in KSP! Here's a good example (automated docked drone rack launches for the epic win):

Reactions: Crimson-Artist