Starmade Survival Elements

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    This small topic focuses on suggesting things to be added to a Survival Game Mode, provided one such game mode is forthcoming in the future. If none such update will come to fruition, let's suggest anyway.

But survival, I believe, is an expected element in sandbox adventure games ever since the popularity of Minecraft. One can't deny how dangerous yet fun it was surviving your first night. You see, Survival in a game where you depend only on the things around you, no predetermined objectives, no generic NPC-issued quests, and forces the player to rely solely on their balls-up wits and anything thrown at them. This, I believe, is what Minecraft has achieved, and I hope Starmade can do the same.

Now, Some of these suggestions are probably covered, but I'll acquaint you with what I believe others would want in a Starmade Survival Game Mode as well:

1. Oxygen, Life Support, Rooms, Medical Stuffs

- WarSong made a cool suggestion about most of this already here, so I you should check it out.

Now, moving on. I'll try not to deviate away from the true essence of the game which is space travel and combat, but survival means using everything you have in your disposal, and my, I hope this disposal includes the following:

2. Fuel

- Being able to harness solar, geothermal, coal, fossil fuel and nuclear energy sounds like a lot of fun and adds more do-tos in the game. You can say it might utilize more advanced forms of mining and not just with the use of salvage blocks, but I find it a lot more fitting to mine certain types of blocks with different tools and such.

3. Farming

- Sounds like a stupid thing to suggest in a game whose planets barely reach a sustainable surface area, but I just like food. They don't necessarily have to abide with the food system Minecraft developed but food can be an alternative for other means of healing. Synthetic crops, drops from dead aliens, others.

4. Variety of Engine Cores/Reactors

- There are power blocks yes, but I think the amount of power needed for ships of varying sizes requiring their respective amounts of thrust would also necessitate different engine cores depending on the requirements and size itself. For this reason, I suggest the following:

Fuel Cell Reactors for fighters, dropships, frigates, etc.; requiring fuel, which may be stored in canisters or some such and placed in a singular or grouped blocks that make up the engine.

Solar Reactors for multi-purpose ships; relies on the power of the Sun to feed the engine energy, requiring solar paneling.

Fusion Reactors would be fitting for large Capital ships and Battlecruisers that need a constant supply of energy to keep moving into battle.

Suggestions for improving this section appreciated.

5. Communications

- I like the idea of being able to set up encrypted connections with another ship which also has a coms system, broadcast transmissions across sectors and being able to store information in logs and emails in-game. Might be impractical but hey, it's survival.

6. Tools

- The current inventory of our astronauts are minimal at best. Like earlier, if ever certain blocks require certain tools to be mined, a variety of tools must be in our disposal, acquired through crafting or possible otherwise. Drills for rock and ores, saws and shears for trees or foliage, hammers for hulls, etc. The salvage cannon probably obviates the need for any of these, but I suppose s workaround such as allowing the salvage cannon to mine only destroyed ships could circumvent this cumbersome suggestion.

7. Weapons

-The fact that there's only one weapon in the game and deals like, 15 dps is kind of unnerving. The ability to craft and use weapons, melee or ranged, is something to be considered and is especially useful in Survival.

That's all I can think of in a Starmade Survival Game Mode, but I'm sure some of you guys have ideas, so suggest away!

Others.

a. Better Door/Hatch/Gate System

- I simply find the current appearing/disappearing plex doors kind of tacky and if possible replace it with a simple 2x2 slide door for interior doors, and with larger doors requiring folding panels and such, because myself I find getting stuck in plex doors quite easily. Just a suggestion.

b. Decorations

- Pimp that ship up, yo. I'm more into interior designing so I can't help suggesting adding Floor tiling, Stairs, Signs, 2x1 doors, Lightbulbs, Chairs, among others.

c. Better lighting

- I hope this suggestion speaks for itself. I understand how space diffuses light as it travels in all directions, but I really hope the saturation of light in the plexlight block itelf can be reduced and light being more evenly distributed when placed in the interior of ships or stations.

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    Great stuff here i totally agree but having these as a "Option" so ingame you can turn them off and on but if its too hard then they can make it so you gotta restart the game. But yes lovely ideas!

+1