Starmade really hits a sweet spot...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi,

I'm a fan of the Kerbal Space Program and have logged quite a few hours building rocket stages. I really wasn't expecting much from Starmade. Being a little under the weather and having a bit of time on my hands, I thought I'd check it out.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but Starmade really hits the sweet spot. After a couple hours of math caculations in KSP to get my Delta-V's, I'm ready to take a break. Starmade kept me going for hours before I realized how much time I had actually sunk into it. There's so much potential with where things are going with this project. Great job, Dev's!

---

I tried to land my first ship on a planet, but I guess my landing gear is going to need a bit more work. Unfortuantely the 15 pirates that showed up in the atmosphere took the guess work out of the way. :eek:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Welcome to the community, and it\'s great to see you are enjoying the game!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Welcome aboard, sailor!

Do watche\' want cause on Starmade you\'re free;

You\'re playin\' Starmade!

Yarhar those AMCs,

Shooting them pirates and schooling them thieves,

Do watche\' want cause on Starmade you\'re free;

You\'re playin\' Starmade!

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You know, it\'s dev. Not plural. It\'s understandable though, we have the hardest-working developer in gaming history and you\'re not the first to misstake him for several people.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i came from playing minecraft for hours on end to sinking nearly the same amount into starmade

Starmade has the one thing that minecraft could never have. creating our own means of transportation and combat.

the limitless ship building potential is what brought me here in the first place what\'s keeping me is anticipation to see this game succeed and to hopefully get as big as minecraft one day.

i believe once they refine the economy and resource gathering this game will take off

oh and welcome to the community

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Kerbal space program + Minecraft = Starmade.

Starmade could be a lot better though. But the devs don\'t care.

Reaction score
    What do you mean the dev\'s don\'t care? You do realize this game is still in development, right?

Reaction score
    Are you looking at the new features coming out?? The devs are working on the coolest update thus far, dont say that. Schema is working his ass off

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Glad you like it here, aside from the rants and trollers, the commuinity is great. Just look at me, I\'m pretty sure not everyone hates me, and thats a start.

Reaction score
    Cares, and you have to bear in mind that he can only do so much as one man, and also , to the OP, I also come from KSP :D

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Not sure what you are talking about. We\'re in alpha, so there are a ton of features in progress.

On top of that, there is only one developer. And he made this entire game! He\'s the best game developer I\'ve ever seen, so your criticism is misplaced.

Mind elaborating what \"could be better\"?

Reaction score
    As modeler and animator (among other things), I\'d like to point out that the game is not being developed by only Schema. He\'s picked up some help along the way. It is still however only being coded by Schema, which pretty much doesn\'t reduce the impressiveness of the original idea at all. As for why he gets so much done, so well and so quickly, it\'s out of pure love and devotion for the project and game. I\'m not sure I\'ve ever worked before with someone as truly devoted and passionate about their creation as Schema.

Part of why things have sped up lately is Schema having a few additional developers, such as myself, to take care of the things that would be a waste of time for him to do himself. By having the artistic side taken care of by someone else, he is free to devote his focus entirely to the core game and coding. In a lot of ways, I feel like a catalyst for Schema; my work allows him to save time and get more done, and my work also allows him to implement new things like NPCs which were always a theoretical possibility, just missing the necessary assets. It\'s not like he was unable to do them, he just needed the window dressing.

So even though there\'s more than one developer, I\'d say it feels more like being a little helper of a greater magical being than just a typical team. And not from any lack of work or dedication! I\'ve been working nearly nonstop for weeks, I just can\'t compare to the incredible results Schema is able to achieve. :)

As for hitting the sweet spot, I felt the same way when I first played StarMade. In the same way Minecraft has a certain something that makes it incredibly addictive, StarMade manages to balance the ship building, flying and fighting in such a way that you don\'t feel over or under-whelmed. And before you know it, it\'s 2 am and you\'ve just sunk half of your day into it. I believe this comes from development philosophy more than anything. When you have your priorities straight, the result is wonderfully balanced in how it engages you. One of the only problems is the interface just isn\'t quite intuitive enough, but that will be fixed.

Also, just so you have an idea, I would say the current StarMade will be a bit like Minecraft Classic. The basics are there, but a lot is missing and it\'s more sandbox than game. If you\'re looking to see StarMade transform into something far beyond anything it is now, don\'t worry. You have no idea what is in store for you, but I promise you\'ll be satisfied. ;)

Oh, final note, I freakin\' love Kerbal Space Program. It\'s a different sort of thing than StarMade, but it also sucked me in for hours. Something about killing countless little green men while you feebly try to overcome the most basic of enemies, physics, is enormously satisfying and hilarious. I\'ve been playing KSP a bit lately for the new campaign stuff, and with the right mods it\'s just glorious.

Oh, and hello! Welcome to the community! :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Considering some of what I\'ve read about Schema\'s past experience with help on StarMade, I\'m happy to hear he\'s latched on to more appreciative talent. I\'m really impressed with some of the contributions others have been making as well -- like the textures.

Thanks to everyone for giving me a intro into what is happening lately. Although, I\'m not sure how I attracted Clockwork13 to my introduction thread. I guess I can be thankful it didn\'t get locked. :P