Starmade Racing League (to be better named yet)

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    [This Thread will be updated once it's all set to go. Still under work]

Following the idea I had on the past, I have decided to bring life to the project of creating a racing track with rules and standard cars. Because sometimes we get a little bored of military operations on the game, and we just want to relax, right ?

For now, I'm making it on the NFD build server, but if there are more servers that wish to host the future events as well, I'm willing to establish there as well, since now we have station blueprints. I'll explain some concepts per topic.

1) The Track.

The track will be roughly a tunnel, that possess hazzards (none deadly, will only slow the unlucky competitor down). I figured out this is the best way since there will be no possibility of skipping. Will take some time to get it all done, but I think it will be worth it.

The shape has been already drafted on paper and on the place itself. It goes on all 3 axis, for increased experience of racing and more difficulty to build.

If anybody is willing to help me getting this ready, just send a PM and I'll send you to the build site and show my (ugly) drafts on paper, for us to work together.

2) The Racing Pod.

I have made a standard pod for usage, but anybody can make their own for using it, following those restrictions :

Exact number of blocks : 50 (5.0 mass)
    Maximum Dimension size : 8 on X/Y/Z
    Exact number of Thruster blocks : 4
    Exact number of Power Capacitor blocks : 2
    Must have one Faction Module

That gives you a remaining number of 42 blocks for hulls/glass/decoration.
    I know that this is a very small pod standard, but if we use a bigger one, the size of the tracks would have to be enourmous, brining annoyances with FPS to some people including myself.

If you already have reached the desired shape using less then said 42 blocks, you will have to use the invisible area blocks from the logic section to place on the ship, in order to reach the exact number of 50 blocks (5.0 mass)

3) The Concept of the race.

You might have noticed that the racing pods does not have a power reactor module, just a capacitor. That makes power to behave like a fuel, which you will have to use wisely. Should one gets low on this "fuel", the competitor have to go for a pitstop where it's power will be slowly recharged by automatic Powersupply beams on the local.

Since all cars have the same stats, the better usage of momentum and skills to evade the hazzards of the track (like moving plates [possible now, thanks to the rails], beams that are firing with stop effect, push pulses that can disable your car for a secound, etcetera) will make the winner.

Last edited:
    Reactions: NeonSturm and kupu

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seems like we need to make some mini micro racers

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    You might have to post a fixed mass or people can build lighter cars to get better acceleration.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    You might have to post a fixed mass or people can build lighter cars to get better acceleration.
    It is already stated that the block count need to be exact

I have built a set of stock racing cars for this league, to allow more variety in the non-custom department.

http://starmadedock.net/content/ion-racer-convertible-pack-for-starmade-racing-league.2696/
    At the time of this post, they're awaiting approval. If you can't access them when you read this, try again later.
    Cool, I'll be waiting for when it's available

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9

We're getting the shape ready. Prototype races (without features, just for testing the track itself) will be possible soon.
    Much thanks to Igel for the help !

Reactions: Nauvran

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This is an amazing idea, but wouldn't it be a better idea to make some track segment templates and place them Trackmania-style to create unique tracks?

Reactions: Thalanor

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    128x128x(multiples of 16) modular trackmania plates, now that is one idea!

Reaction score
    nice idea with the segmets, i like it very much, but at this stage of building it would be hard to change the system. Besides it is just the first prototype to test the idea, we have many ideas for much more stuff but that announcement jorgekorke should do. I think in future tracks it will be normal to work with segments, but to have a nice segment pool we need do define the trackpieces first, like radius of pipes for example.

jorgekorke

bottom text
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Indeed. There's a lot of plans to be revealed, (and your idea might fit perfectly) but for now, we'll try to get this one track up and running.
    Sadly I didn't had the chance to work on it this weekend due to RL stuff.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Sounds like fun, actually.

One thing you might want to consider, with this setup the first thing that came to mind for me was to use those decoration blocks to build a power drain turret. Get myself a little top off from anyone that got too close.

Might want to put something along the lines of "No computer blocks" to completely stop anyone from cheesing.

Reaction score
    i already tried to build a wotking pod with powerdrain for example, power for the ship is decreasing and power of the target is not really getting lower, so it´s not that usefull, butw e have such things in mind and will test them in future in every way and combinition

Reaction score
    I was playing around with the trackpiecesystem...after some sleepless nights i tried out some designs and now i´m building a small primary pool of some trackpieces. The trackpieces are x,y,z=99. They are sorrounded by crystals to easily copy and paste them, with the crystals the box is x,y,z=101. At this stage a pipe with radius 20, straight track is completed (i know, not that amazing as trackpiece but nessesary) and and a quarter torus as curve. just finishing the wedging of the torus today... Already planed are square and octagon pieces, with curves and corners, passages from e.g. pipe to octagon. Normal passages will be able soon, but passages in a curve just take their time...Planned are also special parts like split a pipe into more smaller ones, have some curves with that and then unite again into the big one...hope it doesn´t take too long to build.