StarMade Prebuild 0.09415: Optmized some parts

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello players,

this dev version has some optimizations to eliminate bottlenecks.

get it here: http://files.star-made.org/build/pre/starmade-build_20131011_093740.zip

(as always: "dev" is username/password. The build will be installed onto play.star-made.org:4242 Please be careful with installing the build onto a game server, as pre-builds can contain game breaking bugs.)

Physics optimization:

By developing an algorithm from a combination of these two papers:

Casting rays onto block structures has been vastly improved. While it won't make much difference in a quiet game (doesn't affect block/block collisions), it make a huge difference when things get crowded. Shooting a barrage of from the side through a planet moved (for me) from 2fps when shooting to 140fps. It will especially be valuable in battles of big ships.

Further optimization of block/block physics will also be in focus soon.

Request/IO optimization:

The synchronization of reading blocks from disk was brought to a finer level. I replaced an object wide lock when reading and writing with a file read/write reentrant lock. This basically means that many thready may read from files at once. Should a write occur, the write lock will wait for all current read locks to finish. While writing, no write lock can be acquired until it's finished. This ensures that dirty data is not read, but also multiple threads can do IO at once.

Furthermore a thread pool is now used to distribute the requests for segments. This will give a lot better efficiency for the server handling and answering requests.

The build needs some time to test to make sure, there is no mistake in the IO request, and deadlocks are not happening (I have strict locking order, but you never know)

Thanks for testing,

and thanks for playing StarMade,

- schema

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The request optimization actually makes more impact than I have thought. On the test server (only tested with me on) with going 100km/h to a planet most of the time the planet was fully loaded when I got there (especially when the planet already was generated once). Still need to see if that is still the case with more people on

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Efficient implemenation of algorithms... more beautiful than a perfectly excecuted bicycle kick.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Nice job Robin....I can\'t wait for the big new feature ;)

Reaction score
    I downloaded the new pre-build to test out the optimization changes and I am very impressed how it handles large numbers of ships with docked turrets.

Great work Schema

Reaction score
    Do you have a hidden army of coders and developers you aren\'t telling us about? Because you put out updates at a rate that would make just about any game developing company jealous. Keep up the good work.

Reaction score
    Unzip into the game folder, it is an auto-created folder titled \"Starmade\" created at the location of your starmade starter. Don\'t forget to make a copy of the starmade folder before unzipping.

Reaction score
    On a server I\'m playing on with this build running, most of a ship will load but there are missing chuncks.

You can spawn ship cores in the missing chunks, fly through them, or even shoot through them. When you relog and that portion loads, it will collision test the area and port the stuff out of the chunk.

Reaction score
    parking ship into unloaded area of another ship.
    http://i.imgur.com/LCHhUnB.png

Relogging, and the large ship is still missing chunks, but loaded the area the smaller ship was in
    Leading to the collision thing teleport both ships away from each other.
    http://i.imgur.com/mEQ9oAc.png

Reaction score
    Any sort of lag causes me to lose control of my ship, it spins like a top. I cannot play the game this way. Please fix, I suspect it has something to do with the new turning mechanics because it started with the previous update. If it cannot be fixed right away you should be able to turn it off in server.cfg or just go back to old turning mechanics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    SRSG incorporated in 1997 with a vision to provide the technology of Apple. SRSG is one and half decade old agile and adaptable company dealing with wide spectrum of broadcast IT and media technology products and services.
    ipad service center in delhi
    Macbook air service center in kolkata
    Macbook pro service center in delhi

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    The main goal off Rochester Web Pages is to build you an amazing website, with faster page loads, a great web design that will keep visitors coming back for more.
    Rochester NY SEO service
    Graphic design company Rochester NY