StarMade not running with Nvidia Card.

Reaction score
    I have a laptop with Nvidia Optimus. This means I have two graphics cards, one is built into the cpu, the other is standalone and much more powerful.

I use the standalone one for StarMade.
    Suddenly I can't get it to use it anymore.
    You can force any program to use it in the Nvidia Control Panel. I have it set that way, yet it still refuses to use it.

This causes a 100fps to drop to 40fps.

JavaW (both Java6 and Java7) set to use the High Performance Graphics Card.

Upper Right Corner (GPU not being used even though it is set to be used.)
    Bottom Right Nvidia GPU (Icon should be lit up in a rainbow when it's being used.)

Unfortunately I'm not completely aware when this started, but other games are having the same problem as well.

Has anyone been able to fix this issue? It's hard to play a game when your CPU has to also act as the GPU while being a CPU.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    When I play in a window on my Toshiba notebook (Intel onboard + high powered Nvidia addin), it will always use the card set for the desktop (Intel). Setting and starting the game in fullscreen will make it use the Nvidia card.

What I did to mine is make everything use the Nvidia card, as I always have it running on AC with the battery removed.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Did you maybe install java 64 bit recently, since in the screenshot, you're running starmade 64bit. In the other screenshot it seems like you used the javaw.exe from a java installation in "program files (x86)", which means that this java version is 32bit and probably not used by the game.

Can you check if you have another java installation in "program files"?

Edit: you can find out which javaw.exe the game is using by going into the task manager when the game is running, right clicking javaw.exe in the process tab, and then selecting "open file location"