• I hate this idea to high hell.

Votes: 0 0.0%
    • I'm a cat.

Votes: 3 33.3%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Link to the thread im responding to. http://starmadedock.net/threads/maps.22014/

Ok, time to get to work on a suggestion for how this would work.

First HOW it works

First two copies of the map exist, one for the client and another for the server. The server's map is like we have now and perfectly updated which admins have access to (and players should the config turn off the player mapping function.)

The client map is handled such, first it's handled system by system and the data we currently have is stored for each. Things like station location and planets locations are stored. The data is then dated with the current day (for the server) and is branded "out of date" after a week, with its age counting up each day until then.

Now by default the only information a player has is "is there a star in this system." And nothing else. Upon entering a galaxy the player downloads the star-map for that galaxy containing only stars.

Second its effect on gameplay

Now there is mapping, survey ships have a role. One must use a scanner to create map data for the system, one so we don't constantly have this happening as people travel across the universe and two because the scanner does kind of need an out-of-combat function and this suits it perfectly.

All map data can be traded globally (or at least by galaxy) by selling it to the trade guild, the trade guild also has a map seperate from the server and map data sold to it gives increasingly larger amounts of credits the more out-of-date the guilds map is. Current map data is worth far more than 3 day old data which is worth far more than 6 day old data etc.

One can buy map data as well from the trade guild for the current galaxy for a bulk cost-per system updated. In the future this might help introduce the locations of pirate strongholds or other special areas as a vector for PvE content as well as locate hidden faction bases.

Other Options

Now some things that might want to be server options should this happen, first faction space.
    1. Either have it labelled by default.
    2. Faction ownership discovered on scanning.

Either way if a system is owned by a faction then scanning it should be disallowed for gameplay reasons(again make it a server option.), namely so now you can't instantly locate a faction station without physically visiting the sector and making a note of the location elsewhere. This would give a little safety (albeit short term) for new folks because stations are stationary, even if not marked they'll be found eventually.

This unscannability has two flaws.

X amount of time after war is declared by your faction for the first time it is voided for a week(pick any amount of time) and
    second you can scan the systems of factions you are at war with after Y amount of time.

The first is to discourage excessive warmongering and the second is an amnesty for factions who get into wars for a chance to get together before their stations are revealed.

Oh and I almost forgot this part

So factions sharing map data should be pretty normal, as to how to do it? I guess the same as how the trade guild does in my suggestion or one click and you can check against your faction map for the current galaxy, replace the systems more recently scanned. (Don't bother comparing the actual data, just the days on which they were scanned, or even times if you prefer.)

To make this easier for discussion, if there's something you'd like changed quote it and state what you dislike.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Sounds pretty interesting, although I dont think, that someone should be unable to scan another factions systems. That would just limit the use of "spy"-ships or covert-op troop transporters trying to board a station.
    I do think though, that the owners of the given system should get notification if one of their stations/planets is being scanned, thus making scanning a dangerous task in foreign territory^^

Reactions: MacThule

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Correct me if I understood it wrong:
    • Enter galaxy => get sun positions.
    • Enter system => get planet positions. IDEA: perhaps discover only stations not near a planet/the sun?
    • Enter sector => get station info. IDEA: perhaps discover station positions near a planet/sun if you enter that planet/sun's sector?
    • Scan sector => get detailed info. IDEA: make station-jammers able to hide block types, else they are counted and shown.
    For client data - it can get really quick in low time..
    • IDEA: only store block count of found stations (similar to a blueprint build costs) and the outermost blocks on each plane (+-xy, +-xz, +-yz).
      • this would dramatically decrease planet data size.
    But I dislike big factions trading all map data with each other and small factions have access to nothing of it.
    • Old data should be shared automatically to the trading guild.
    • The trading guild uses income to pay for new maps delivered by players?.
    Also map-costs should be different for systems/sectors depending on details.
    • Position of planets, suns and stations should weight less than actual data about them.
    • Stations which change rarely (from scan to scan) should have a lower interest in new data.
    • Stations enemy to the trade guild should have a high interest, even more if you provide data about the strength (block counts).
    • Trade guilds should pay more the closer the systems are and the more has changed.
      • Of-course, a pilot can claim it is worth more, but see it as average price and the trade guild makes worse(for you) trades when they weren't happy about the last information you gave them, until it paid back what they see as betrayal-value.
    • They should ask for more credits the further away the mapped data is or the more information you demand.
    Details of scans:
    • Block-count (shown similar to blueprint-costs) - scramble it with jammer modules (cheaper on stations?).
    • Blocks in storage - scramble it with cloaker modules (cheaper on stations?).
    • Wormhole/Gate destination
    • Faction info + friend or enemy (to trade guild / neutral)?
    • Activity (when players were active in that system, scan depends on energy-signatures (aka logfiles to devs) )

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Here's A thought: the wormholes on the map don't appear until you stumble into one. when you come out the other side, the line linking the two wormholes connects them. another idea is for trade routes, between factions, and with the trading guild. in the faction block (provided you have a current map) you can link two planets, two stations, or a planet and a station. then you take your freighter (assigned as such in a bobby AI) and it will travel along the route, carrying requested materials back and forth.

Any Good?

Reactions: Valck and NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Create "nodes" of interest (planets, stations, stars, wormholes, ...) or pathes between them is whole different from sorting them into a path-system and make that usable by AI.

I like it Andem, but bobby trading shouldn't produce near infinite income. The active player should be able to get the most in a given time, unless the server-owner decides otherwise (setting). But this thread is not about bobby or pathing systems.

Reaction score
    Create "nodes" of interest (planets, stations, stars, wormholes, ...) or pathes between them is whole different from sorting them into a path-system and make that usable by AI.

I like it Andem, but bobby trading shouldn't produce near infinite income. The active player should be able to get the most in a given time, unless the server-owner decides otherwise (setting). But this thread is not about bobby or pathing systems.
    I know, it just came out of the map idea I had... I should probably find an aproppriate thread for that.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Here's A thought: the wormholes on the map don't appear until you stumble into one. when you come out the other side, the line linking the two wormholes connects them.
    YES. This is good. Currently wormholes are just an awkward galactic tube system... No secret wormhole routes, no sense of discovery, etc.
    Another idea is for trade routes, between factions, and with the trading guild. in the faction block (provided you have a current map) you can link two planets, two stations, or a planet and a station. then you take your freighter (assigned as such in a bobby AI) and it will travel along the route, carrying requested materials back and forth.

Any Good?
    Lots of good, but needs its own topic.

Reaction score
    YES. This is good. Currently wormholes are just an awkward galactic tube system... No secret wormhole routes, no sense of discovery, etc.

Lots of good, but needs its own topic.
    I'm definitely going to look for more appropriate threads for the second idea.