Starmade just got S**t on :/

Reaction score
    SE is not bad (in theory) it has some interesting things i hoped to have in Starmade (like rotor blocks etc).
    But SE is very very far away from being finished, the performance is just awefull, you cant build a big ship like you can do in SM without the savegame becomming corrupt or just overloading your RAM.
    But the physics there are interesting

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But the physics there are interesting

Should be simple to reproduce.

Imagine (for now) every block has 100 structure points.

On crash, the heavier the crash the more, you lose points, but you have an offset (something that substracts from damage).

Now imagine each block forwards ownLost/x to all neighbours - if forwarded to space, just forget these points (don\'t forget that the neighbours also have an offset!).

( It is a bit like 1-radius disintegrators if damage is high enough )

And now convert all blocks which touch 3 Block-neighbours as Penta, touch 2 Bn as Wedge, tough 4+ Bn as Block, ... ... smile!

Except that you may beed 1-3 more block types and need to respect rotation and do some adjusting... you have Space Engineers physics.

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    StarMade is far from dead right now. As all the commenters before me stated, this game has some features Space Engineers lack.

1. Shields - minor but important feature.

2. AI - Starmade universe is actually inhabited, and also allows for the creation of drones and auto-tracking turrets.

3. Well-developed multiplayer. While SE just got multiplayer, it\'s in a really early stage, for example multiplayer chat was only added in the last patch.

4. HUGE ships. Try build something on SE half as big as an average \"Capital ship\" in Starmade. Good luck. I take no responsibility for fried computers and corrupted data resulting from the attempt.

5. Economy and factions - It\'s what really makes the game challenging - building up your wealth and then using your resources to gain military power and/or political influence among the other player-controlled factions.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    5. Economy and factions - It\'s what really makes the game challenging - building up your wealth and then using your resources to gain military power and/or political influence among the other player-controlled factions.

LOL

All others are valid points, but this - starmade has too much economy exploits...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First, my kids have SE. I didn\'t want them to waste their money on it because of the dev rep background, but I believe that a lesson learned is worth the money. So far, SE is a toy. Granted, it now has multiplayer, but it\'s still just a toy. If they can carry it to completion, it might be worth the money, but that\'s a big IF for those guys. At any rate, having watched them play and having played StarMade myself with them, I can safely say the two have almost nothing in common. StarMade is already light years ahead in developmental terms and it\'s free until you want to buy in.. for now. Not so with SE. Shady dudes. I hope they prove us wrong this time.