StarMade Hotfix v0.199.161 Lighting optimizations

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello citizens ~

we just uploaded a small update that will increasy lighting calculation speed by ~30%. That's the time of a recalculation when you place a block, or turn light on/off. The chunk32 update introduced a bit of delay on it since it is doing 8 times the work now. There are more optimizations planned in that regard very soon.

Also, a lighting bug has been fixed. It caused the lighting switch to distance lighting to be a hard edge, so chunks appeared to be suddenly darker when coming closer.

Thanks for playing StarMade,

~ the Schine team

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    So yeah... looks like these are back

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    therimmer96
    oh, i might have one lighting bounding box too small. Can you give me that ship. I have trouble replicating that clearly visible effect.

Reactions: nightrune

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Have my like and treat yourself with some well deserved catnip, o great feline overlord.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    blocks in the build mode orientation preview are black, blue, or white depending on angle, and not the blocks actual color

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    While light bars collide like slabs for players now, they don't seem to play well with elevators. :(

Any chance for a fix?

Reactions: nightrune

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Maybe light bars could have no collision, it doesn't add much value and is rather inconvenient.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I suggest that you use the light Rods as the no clip option. they don't have collisions so use them instead besides it makes sense that a solid looking 3D object would collide with things.

The light bars have psychical dimensions, and they do appear as a solid object so the colliding issues seem logical. they also do not turn off and everyone is bitching about it to no end, but I personally would also suggest that they remain the way they are.

As they are right now they work in a lot of ways as a sort of general Sub light source and that is exactly how I use them. I imagine them not as a florescent light, but as a chemical filled glow lamp. I also imagine would be used as emergency permanent lighting when a structure or entities lights go offline. so I think they mite not necessarily need to turn off. we do have other lighting options that DO so a light source that doesn't isn't that big of a deal. I suggest it mite just be another feature of the game, maybe even offer one with and without the ability to turn off as an option.

Last edited:

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I suggest that you use the light Rods as the no clip option. they don't have collisions so use them instead besides it makes sense that a solid looking 3D object would collide with things.

The light bars have psychical dimensions, and they do appear as a solid object so the colliding issues seem logical. they also do not turn off and everyone is bitching about it to no end, but I personally would also suggest that they remain the way they are.

As they are right now they work in a lot of ways as a sort of general Sub light source and that is exactly how I use them. I imagine them not as a florescent light, but as a chemical filled glow lamp. I also imagine would be used as emergency permanent lighting when a structure or entities lights go offline. so I think they mite not necessarily need to turn off. we do have other lighting options that DO so a light source that doesn't isn't that big of a deal. I suggest it mite just be another feature of the game, maybe even offer one with and without the ability to turn off as an option.
    I respectfully but fully disagree. Both the inability to turn them on/off as well as their property of being able to collide only limit potential design options without adding value like strategic depth. I consider them to be the new generation light rods, the latter being a visibly older asset, same as the block forms of capsules are compared to pipes.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I respectfully but fully disagree. Both the inability to turn them on/off as well as their property of being able to collide only limit potential design options without adding value like strategic depth. I consider them to be the new generation light rods, the latter being a visibly older asset, same as the block forms of capsules are compared to pipes.

Make them logic controllable or with a on/off light controller block but simply dressing. I honestly consider in the future "chairs, plants, maps, screens ..... fill the gaps" as details that can be accessed but do not block the players avatar/ npc ( lots of chair or light block maze on the floor to screw with NPC pathfinding for lols ) or building requirements such as elevators, doors.
    Honestly we are starting to get and use in various ways dressing blocks. they should be that dressing, the icing on the cake.

Yea or nay?