Starmade Forge - Starmade comes to Mobile!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Thanks for the idea. I have played with mobile minecraft's controls. I don't really like them though. Granted I'm not gonna get as good controls as the PC, but I have a few ideas. As far as motion controls those would be non essential controls likely. Since its hard to make sure you are in a correct orientation on a bus/in bed/other places you might try to quick wipe out a ship shape.
    That's why said optionally on the motion control.
    You could use the screen as a pen pad. but then you are left with running a reverse line back to determine where the pointer is hitting the target.
    While that works on a PC the touch accuracy on most mobile devices isn't near that accuracy of a mouse or even my pentab for drawing.
    So you will end up with the placement box bouncing around.

Which is why I said go with the minecraft controls. When it comes to mobile devices they have a lot of quality difference not to mention difference in size.

Honestly, look at it this way. The people building minecraft had to look at the same issues. They didn't just slap a set of controls on and go we are done. The problems they ran into will be the for the most part the same you will.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 4, would be great if there was an option to use the stylus button to place the block. Drag the cursor around with the stylus by touching the screen, then click the stylus button to drop it.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm currently on a Galaxy Note 4, would be great if there was an option to use the stylus button to place the block. Drag the cursor around with the stylus by touching the screen, then click the stylus button to drop it.
    I've got a Note 7, and I've thought about this as well. If unity/android have generic support for it, I would like to attempt this in the future. I think for now I'll be focusing on as many universal options as I can.

Reactions: jayman38

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I've actually got to own a MacBook to develop for Apple... There dev tools only work on OSX unlike all the Android tools.
    Well... you don't need to own any apple device to develop for Apple products. You do have to use OS X.

You could virtualise OS X or dual boot it with whatever other OS you are using, providing the hardware is compatible.

Last edited:

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Well... you don't need to own any apple device to develop for Apple products. You do have to use OS X.

You could virtualise OS X or dual boot it with whatever other OS you are using, providing the hardware is compatible.
    I thought that was outside their terms of service? That OSX must be run on Apple hardware? If things have changed I'd totally do that.

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    I thought that was outside their terms of service? That OSX must be run on Apple hardware? If things have changed I'd totally do that.
    Ah yes, it would breach ToS. However if you owned a OS X device, fair use would most likely cover running it on different hareware.

So you would still need to own a apple device.

I wouldn't bother with apple devices then.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Ah yes, it would breach ToS. However if you owned a OS X device, fair use would most likely cover running it on different hareware.

So you would still need to own a apple device.

I wouldn't bother with apple devices then.
    Not yet at least. Who knows maybe I'll find another dev that's willing to help out.

Reaction score
    Wow, would absolutely love to be able to design while out and about with just a phone!

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Been doing a bit more work on this.

Finally got Chunk32 working.. Was going to internally use chunk32 but it stresses Unity's mesh object too much. Its only possibly to have 65000 vertices in a Unity mesh. I'd need to do the math but I'm betting you could regularly exceed that with any chunk32. So I've gone back to only using chunk16 inside Forge.

That's my mining station that I'm using to test. I've got support for slabs but have yet to integrate it. This is just after I've finally got all of starmade's block orientations mapped to my own internal ones. I'll likely have to either thread or optimize the mesh generation. I think its a bit slow right now. Still lots more work to do. I'm not currently parsing the entity of the blueprint its just hand selected segment data for the time being.

The other odd thing I ran into is the odd iteration semantics of the blueprint segment data, and the fact that the x axis in starmade is flipped from unity. I'd guess its flipped from other programs as well since I don't think starmade follows the right-hand rule then.

Reaction score
    Looking forward to this so much nightrune!
    [doublepost=1480916199,1480915845][/doublepost]
    Thanks for the idea. I have played with mobile minecraft's controls. I don't really like them though. Granted I'm not gonna get as good controls as the PC, but I have a few ideas. As far as motion controls those would be non essential controls likely. Since its hard to make sure you are in a correct orientation on a bus/in bed/other places you might try to quick wipe out a ship shape.
    Pinch to expand the selection/deletion volume on each axis?
    Or failing that, invisible slider bars on three of the screen edges to alter the selection/deletion volume size. (I know a few e-reader apps that use invisible slider bars on screen edges to alter brightness, and font size, so it's certainly feasible)

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Hey followers,

I'm kicking around the idea of doing some sort of patreon/paypal thing. What general thoughts are there on this? I'd love to see Forge done and in the wild but life likes to get in the way. A patreon might help prioritize over other areas I'm working on. Keep in mind I'm self employed currently.

Reactions: MossyStone48

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I could be convinced to toss ya $5.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I am concerned that the Starmade crowd might not support you enough financially. It may be better to run an Android App Kickstarter that promises an Android App that can design voxel spaceships, which just happens to be compatible with Starmade. That way, you aren't just pulling in Starmade supporters, but the general Scifi geeks who have an android device. (I imagine this would greatly expand your audience, increasing donors.) You can always set up Patreon later.

Reaction score
    I am concerned that the Starmade crowd might not support you enough financially. It may be better to run an Android App Kickstarter that promises an Android App that can design voxel spaceships, which just happens to be compatible with Starmade. That way, you aren't just pulling in Starmade supporters, but the general Scifi geeks who have an android device. (I imagine this would greatly expand your audience, increasing donors.) You can always set up Patreon later.

AS LONG AS he doesn't step on Schine's metaphorical, copyrighted feet. I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but you never know. Might want to ask before advertising it/profiting off of it as something other than a SM-based addon.

Reaction score
    AS LONG AS he doesn't step on Schine's metaphorical, copyrighted feet. I wouldn't think that it would be a problem, but you never know. Might want to ask before advertising it/profiting off of it as something other than a SM-based addon.
    Yes, profiting from any content that uses StarMade materials or is related to StarMade is against the End User License Agreement. Selling this app is definitely a big no. Creating a kickstarter would definitely violate the EULA. Creating a Patreon to fund this sort of work would most likely be ok, but Schine GmbH would have all rights to remove this app anywhere it's available if they so wished (which is unlikely to happen, unless he started charging for it). I don't think they're going to grant him permission to do whatever he wants, they'll probably do nothing unless it crosses a line.

As long as this app doesn't cost money or becomes something more than a mobile viewer, it should be fine. Obviously if he recreated StarMade in android, it wouldn't be ok, as it would be in direct competition if they decide to create an android/iOS app themselves. My advice is to put it on GitHub and release it under MIT, that way it's a community owned project, and not something one person takes control of.

Here's relevant information from the EULA:

• If you make something with, or related to StarMade, it has to comply with this EULA and the brand and asset usage guidelines and above all do not make commercial use of anything we have made.
    • You have permission to adapt StarMade for your own personal (non-commercial) use, but you must not distribute your adaptations in any way that is unfair or adversely affects our rights in StarMade. Beyond that, you are not allowed to copy, reverse engineer or de-compile StarMade without permission.
    • Do not make commercial use of anything we've made unless specifically permitted by us, either in our brand and asset usage guidelines or under this EULA. Exceptions are in case the law expressly allows it, such as under a "fair-use" or similar law.
    Re-Destribution and Commercial Use
    One general rule is that you are not permitted to distribute anything made by the creator of StarMade and his partners. You are not allowed to give copies away without permission, make commercial use of, try to make money from, or let people get access to StarMade and its content in a way that is not fair or unreasonable.

This especially includes, but is not limited to, the client and server software of StarMade of official versions, as well as modified versions.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I'm aware of the EULA. This project is likely to stay owned by me for quite awhile. I've not decided if it's to be monetized or not.

I have a few goals but we are aways away from it and may require schines input when the time comes.

Reaction score
    Hey followers,

I'm kicking around the idea of doing some sort of patreon/paypal thing. What general thoughts are there on this? I'd love to see Forge done and in the wild but life likes to get in the way. A patreon might help prioritize over other areas I'm working on. Keep in mind I'm self employed currently.
    [/QUOTE]

I'd be happy to pay something for a working product I could try, or at least see and read about before I bought (I did that for SM - tried the free copy from Steam for a few days, then paid for it) but I have to be honest, I'd be a bit hesitant parting with money ahead of time for essentially an unknown product.

I understand how hard it is to finish projects with life taking up too much time - I have a long legacy of half finished bits of code lying around that I abandoned half way through. I'd really love to see your app finished, but no-one's going to going to blame you if you can't squeeze out enough hours to do it.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    I don't get why SMD stopped notifying me about this...