Starmade Forge - Starmade comes to Mobile!

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Hey citizens,

I've been slowly working on building an application in unity. The plan is to just have a basic renderer first. That way you can deploy it to web/android/ios and view ships in full 3D. Later on I'll be bringing building and editing to it as well.

So a quick teaser!

Its not much yet, but hopefully it will be eventually.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    So what's this supposed to do? Allow you to view ships in 3d wherever?
    Is it going to be capable of reading a .sment file or something?

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    It seems like this would allow you to view and edit w/e you provide it. blueprints, sments, templates, you know anything with all the right data so it doesn't have to assume too much. I'd def use this to edit templates. Go to work, make some basic shapes on down time, get home and slap them together into a hull. Bang. Done.

I already used a boxel sandbox game on android for a while to help me get certain ideas fleshed out.

This is a great idea.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    It seems like this would allow you to view and edit w/e you provide it. blueprints, sments, templates, you know anything with all the right data so it doesn't have to assume too much. I'd def use this to edit templates. Go to work, make some basic shapes on down time, get home and slap them together into a hull. Bang. Done.

I already used a boxel sandbox game on android for a while to help me get certain ideas fleshed out.

This is a great idea.
    This is exactly it. There are some rather large problems I need to solve as well but it'll get there. First to make sure it can render it all correctly.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Once you have a renderer you're happy with the next thing is what and how to feed it without playing with usb cables and directories.

On the PC side of things you can have users sync their google drive or w/e cloud they use to include their blueprints\exported folder and maybe a few others to grab templates and such. As long as the user saves as local they can then pull it from the cloud on their device/browser. W/e they save on android gets sync'd back to their exports where that can easily re-upload the modified version.

I'm working on an idea to integrate PvE/PvP and Build server features into one server. The idea is to let designers and shipwrights build without them going nutty and blowing up the universe. This also allows them to share their designs without having to export and upload to some third party site. Kinda how it used to work before SMD when we could upload straight to star-made.org.

And before anyone asks; Yes. I will be testing this hybrid server idea on NASS.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Once you have a renderer you're happy with the next thing is what and how to feed it without playing with usb cables and directories.
    Exactly, Mobile is a whole different ballgame.

On the PC side of things you can have users sync their google drive or w/e cloud they use to include their blueprints\exported folder and maybe a few others to grab templates and such. As long as the user saves as local they can then pull it from the cloud on their device/browser. W/e they save on android gets sync'd back to their exports where that can easily re-upload the modified version.

I'm working on an idea to integrate PvE/PvP and Build server features into one server. The idea is to let designers and shipwrights build without them going nutty and blowing up the universe. This also allows them to share their designs without having to export and upload to some third party site. Kinda how it used to work before SMD when we could upload straight to star-made.org.

And before anyone asks; Yes. I will be testing this hybrid server idea on NASS.
    Its a good idea, When it comes to downloading from your hybrid server, I'm hoping its easy to allow third parties access to oauth tokens in the registry. That way you could use your registry information to download your blueprints from a server. This would allow a user to connect to multiple servers and use this app.

Reactions: alterintel

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    i like the idea. you'd need to tug on the ear of someone who's got their fingers in the citizen registry pot.

tho you might be able to get around some of that using NASS' shadow script. if the BP is set to public it could be copied by shadow to an FTP directory where anyone can browse it. if the copy grabs the username from the BP metadata and appends that as a part of the file name it'd be easy to find and present to the user. provided they use the same name within the app.

as to the hybrid server; just now i have two CM enabled users that cannot leave their build sector and are protected within it. they are placed so far from the core systems that they are literally in another galaxy. but they can openly share their blueprints and i plan to allow CM users to spawn unfinished ships without needing an admin. we'll see.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    oh very nice.
    If you need a hand on the C# language, PM me.
    So far C# hasn't been a huge deal. I've mainly run into issues with unity's old version of mono. I'll definitely keep that in mind though. Thank you.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Awe-inspiring progress, nightrune. Very, very great. You deserve applause. (At least a golf clap.) Captain Picard approves.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    Designing ships in mobile to import to PC starmade and fly them around?

BRILLIANT

Reaction score
    Genius. Just genius. So, what all do you plan to be able to do with this app?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Genius. Just genius. So, what all do you plan to be able to do with this app?
    We'll see. My imagination is running wild but I have lots of mundane and boring crap to work out first. I really think that controls are going to be my biggest hurdle, and after I work the kinks out of just rendering I'll get started on that.

Reaction score
    Wait wait wait, you don't even know what you're going to be doing yet? Yet you're programming this app that shows ships regardless?

I need a (Sarcastic) "Genius" rating now.

But seriously, what are your basic thoughts? Make app now, decide function later? How does that even work?

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Wait wait wait, you don't even know what you're going to be doing yet? Yet you're programming this app that shows ships regardless?

I need a (Sarcastic) "Genius" rating now.

But seriously, what are your basic thoughts? Make app now, decide function later? How does that even work?
    Rough idea of what I want.
    Version 1) Show Ships on Mobile and use sments to look between multiple ships.
    Version 2) Basic Building, and First Pass at Controls
    Flying around, Block Selection, Traverse Entities
    Version 3) Addition of logic and rail movement.
    Version 4) Advanced Build Tools and possible syncing of files between locations.

2, 3, 4 while likely get all jumbled as I figure out what the dependencies are.

There are other crazier ideas I'll wait for later to see what schine does, and they might also be other apps.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The app is already showing a lot of promise. Keep at it. I'm already trying to clean out old apps on my tablet for whenever you have something testing ready.