Starmade for Kindle,iOs devices and Android

Do you want Starmade for Kindle,iOs and Android?

• No,I only want Starmade for computers.

Votes: 13 72.2%
    • Yes! Starmade for Kindle,iOS and Android would be epic!

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Starmade for Kindle,iOS devices and Android devices,uploaded for even £2.00 (Around $4.50) would make a TON of money. I mean it,a TON! The game everyone on tablet devices are looking for a game like Starmade,in fact,sometimes,I feel really bored but I've got no access to my computer for whatever reason and want to play Starmade or a game like it. There are currently NO games like Starmade,a space sandbox block game. Yes,this would be fairly tricky to make,but the people making Starmade would make a whole set of money and get a ton of fame. I think it would be a great idea.

Thanks for checking on this suggestion.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Starmade is too havy to be run on mobile I think. It also would mean schema had to devide his work, meaning that we will get less updates for this game which ultimately would just make starmade stupid.

Reaction score
    You realize there are technological restriction with mobile devices. The amount of ram and processing power Starmade needs is beyond what mobile phones, at least, can provide.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Once StarMade is released I am sure schema will work on this since it would be so epic. It most likely will be a simpler version and wont happen for a few years.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Simply put

4 decades at least. :p

Current mobiles as stated by funnybunny are far to weak to run any Java game really. Java is extremely memory intensive and current mobiles would not even be able to start the game. (Though to be fair someone somehow managed to legally convert KotOR to be used on the iPad :confused:)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Yeah, this is never happening. At least not for a decade or so when most phones can even run the game. Plus, how would you even control everything? Half the screen would be taken up with buttons.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I voted yes, but with a humongous caveat: super-limited, single-sector creative mode only, with a limited number of no-animation blocks. It would be nice to see how an idea for a 3D layout works and looks in 3D with the real game's own lighting style. All other gameplay elements, including building a working ship will have to wait until I can reach something resembling a gaming machine.

For something similar to what I am talking about, check out the android program "Cube Artist 3D".

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    In actual fact, some mobile devices may be able to run Starmade.
    Like the Xperia Z1 (2gb ram, 2.2ghz quad-core processor)

Currently the only limitation is Android not having a 'real' JRE.

When Ubuntu mobile is released (ROM image for some droid devices!), we may be able to see Starmade on certain mobile devices, if we can install java7 to it.

And the graphics support OpenGL 2.1 of course.

EDIT: iOS devices simply do not have the power for Starmade, as well as no Java support whatsoever.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Current mobiles as stated by funnybunny are far to weak to run any Java game really. Java is extremely memory intensive and current mobiles would not even be able to start the game. (Though to be fair someone somehow managed to legally convert KotOR to be used on the iPad :confused:)
    You do realize that Android apps are written in Java and run on a lightweight virtual machine not too unlike a JVM?

That being said, the issue with voxel games is the sheer number of entities involved, which can put a sizeable strain on even lower end computers. Now, Minecraft managed it somehow, so it's not entirely out of the question, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also it's worth pointing out that there's a much higher barrier of entry for getting stuff put out on iOS devices vs. Android; too high, I think, for it to be realistically feasible for it to be worth the time of a lone indie developer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Minecraft managed it because it only renders the visible sides of the blocks. Anything that isn't visible just doesn't get rendered.

Reaction score
    I've actually given this thought before. I think it shouldn't do everything that starmade does, but only allow you to create and edit blueprints. Basically, build mode, and catalogue. You should be able to exchange blueprints between installations, and your app data somehow.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Starmade is too havy to be run on mobile I think. It also would mean schema had to devide his work, meaning that we will get less updates for this game which ultimately would just make starmade stupid.
    on modern smartphones such as OneplusOne - I can run minecraft on the the highest render distance (which is equivalent of the normal render distance on pc) with 60fps. I am sure starmade could run there to.

However I think that the suggestion to port starmade to ios and android is a bit too early right now. It needs to properly be stable on the pc first, i.e. finished beta. Otherwise I am sure it would be able to run with a slightly lower maxdraw segments, and smaller planets etc. Especially since technology is evolving so quickly and it will be even better by the time starmade finishes beta.[DOUBLEPOST=1413458247,1413458142][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You realize there are technological restriction with mobile devices. The amount of ram and processing power Starmade needs is beyond what mobile phones, at least, can provide.
    no

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    We still haven't really talked about the lack of necessary buttons. More importantly, I see this as less of a "can we?" and more of a "should we?" issue. Should Starmade go on mobile phones? I don't think so. It doesn't seem like the right place for this kind of game. I feel the same about Minecraft for mobile. The main thing I don't like about games like Minecraft on mobile phones is that your fingers are always in the way of the view.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Some form of side app maybe? something that we can have next too us while we play that helps, but isn't required, sort of like Xbox Smartglass. That would work.

A version of the game could run on a mobile devices, Apple a few hours ago launched the iPad Air 2, their second product with a 64-bit processor, and there are several phones on the market that support Ubuntu for Android, where you give it a keyboard and mouse and it runs a proper desktop top operating system.

The issue at this point would be the graphics card, the software and the ram. It wouldn't be the exact same version of the game, but thats not what the OP calls for, a port could work, if done properly. The issue with screen space isnt an issue that much anymore with devices getting bigger, and if that's really such a problem, have a screen size limit. Use something similar to what MC did for the controls for creative mode for the thrust, and have a small joy stick in the corner. The more I think about this, the less silly it seems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I feel that a side app to display basic things like a map of the server you're on, a notepad, and other things that would be fun to have next to you while playing that still need to be added to the game.

I guess the real problem is that starmade is not nearly done yet. We've only just started redoing the wiki, the universe update is in the works currently, the factions still need to be updated, and I could go on and on about what still need sto be added.

Reaction score
    Starmade is an amazing game. But the truth is some computers simply can't run it. For example, my phone can run some games that my computer can't even load. Yes, some phones may not be able to run it too, but like every good game, it can be optimized to allow as many users as possible to play it. I'm aware that it would take some time and work, but I think the increase of players would be worth it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.