Starmade Does it Right

Reaction score
    I hear people griping, and complaining all the time, about how "Starmade did Feature X wrong!", or "Starmade needs Feature Y from Minecraft!", or worse yet "Starmade needs Feature X to be more like feature Y from Minecraft" Well, I have something to say... IT'S NOT MINECRAFT! that's like calling BF4 an unreal clone, it's not! it's different, just because there are voxels, does not mean it's a minecraft clone, I never hear "Minecraft is an Infiniminer clone!" that's because it's not! or Starforge is a Minecraft clone because it uses cubic tiles! this is silly! if you want "Feature Y from Minecraft" Play minecraft, if you want MC in space, there's a mod (Galacticraft), this isn't MC in space! it's Starmade! Schema can do whatever he wants with it, and if he's smart, he won't add any features from Minecraft.

I believed somone had to adress the issue, so I adressed it, Thoughts?

TL:DR Starmade is not Minecraft

Reaction score
    Please dont mention galactic craft... It\'s already overpopular (unnamed youtube starsdid a. Twenty part series as apposed to the 3 episodes they did for this game) besides if your in space or like building screw minecraft... Starmade is voxel gameswith spacepirates thatill kill you faster than any mars creeper, and we dont rely on spending IRL days underground to get enough resaurces to progress the game like minecraft and it\'s mods

Reaction score
    Please dont mention galactic craft... It\'s already overpopular (unnamed youtube starsdid a. Twenty part series as apposed to the 3 episodes they did for this game) besides if your in space or like building screw minecraft... Starmade is voxel gameswith spacepirates thatill kill you faster than any mars creeper, and we dont rely on spending IRL days underground to get enough resaurces to progress the game like minecraft and it\'s mods

Reaction score
    Well there really some features which could be improved through making them more complicated. Like AMC\'s, or AI modules, or ground combat. And there are some stuff in minecraft that really is a good idea, and taking them to starmade would be a clever development move. Like, the Nether could easily be transformed into something like HyperSpace, with distance travelled inside would be multiplied when exiting. Yet, I totaly agree that starmade is not minecraft. I just mean, if schema can do something in the game minecraft style and the game would become better without losin own style, why not?

Reaction score
    I agree with this completly. As example, something like redstone circuitry would certainly add greatly to starmade(though it should be invisible in the background as wires are tiny(similar to terraria were there is a mode to put wires)

Reaction score
    The symmetry features, helps sooooo much with building, wish Minecraft would do the same

This isn\'t any good either! It\'s the same thing I was complaining about inverted! (plus it would be hard to implement, because the blocks are all part of the world, and not seperate objects) Minecraft is good how it is, It doesn\'t need anything from Starmade.

something like redstone circuitry would certainly add greatly to starmade(though it should be invisible in the background as wires are tiny(similar to terraria were there is a mode to put wires)

so, you\'re saying: \"They Should add Feature X from Minecraft, but More like Feature X from terraria\" that is a horrible idea, plus the new inventory system renders that obsolete, I would like to see programmable ship AI though.

Like, the Nether could easily be transformed into something like HyperSpace

How would you get Hyperspace from the nether??? they\'re nothing alike, except distance multipliers! that\'s like saying: \"Hey why don\'t you transform bread into something like cookies!\" it just wouldn\'t work out, I think there are better ways to do HyperSpace. (I\'m still figuring out how I want to present these Ideas, so you\'ll hear more later, but not now)

if schema can do something in the game minecraft style and the game would become better without losin own style, why not?

Because then people would Dismiss the game as a minecraft clone because they would notice the minecraft feature, it would stand out, people would think: \"Wait a minute! this is exactly like Feature X from minecraft\" I want people to stop calling Starmade \"Minecraft in space\", that would make things worse! thankfully schema is going for fully animated characters, instead of blocky, simple animation \"Minecraft\" Creatures. for further departure from Minecraft, and much better for modders.

ground combat

That isn\'t a minecraft exclusive feature. and something from minecraft in the ground combat category would ruin the sci-fi-ness, imagine people running around with stone swords hitting space-ships. (shudders)

Like AMC\'s, or AI modules

I don\'t see how anything from Minecraft is even remoteley related with either of these. so it would be horrible if a minecraft feature was applied to these. (AI modules that hiss and Explode anyone? AMCs that drop porkchop?(okay, that one would be pretty cool)) if you\'re reffering to command blocks, I think it would be better to be able to run multi-line scripts, and to make custom AI scripts, than to make a block that uses an Admin command, because Admins are too lazy. (or it\'s an adventure map(which wouldn\'t work in a space game without a ton of effort anyway(and nobody would play it because it constrains you)))

Do You get my point? however, those are just my opinions, if You want feature X from Minecraft, it\'s not my choice to decide if it goes through.

Starmade is voxel gameswith spacepirates thatill kill you faster than any mars creeper, and we dont rely on spending IRL days underground to get enough resaurces to progress the game like minecraft and it\'s mods

That sort-of agrees with my point, but honestly, I don\'t think Minecraft is a bad game, it is horribly optimized for older computers despite having HORRID graphics.

Reaction score
    Please dont mention galactic craft... It\'s already overpopular (unnamed youtube starsdid a. Twenty part series as apposed to the 3 episodes they did for this game)

That\'s Because the \"unnamed\" youtube stars played Minecraft a lot more, and were more familliar with it, so naturally they would play stuff for it longer than some new game. honestly I think Starmade should have gotten a little more publicity, but I think a mature, respected youtube star should do it, not a bunch of teenagers.

Reaction score
    I don\'t see how anything from Minecraft is even remoteley related with either of these. so it would be horrible if a minecraft feature was applied to these. (AI modules that hiss and Explode anyone? AMCs that drop porkchop?(okay, that one would be pretty cool))

Actually, i was talking about the first part of your post, e.g. \"Starmade did feature X wrong!\". Like, AMC\'s and AI modules are definitely done wrong. Same stuff about ground combat, which is now kinda rudimentary.

How would you get Hyperspace from the nether??? they\'re nothing alike, except distance multipliers!

Having a dimention where distance multiplies is totaly a minecraft idea. Features like that does not have to be copied competely, but some aspects suiting the game would be nice.

I want people to stop calling Starmade \"Minecraft in space\", that would make things worse! thankfully schema is going for fully animated characters, instead of blocky, simple animation \"Minecraft\" Creatures. for further departure from Minecraft, and much better for modders.

While I do agree that StarMade shouldn\'t be called minecraft clone. I just mean schema mustn\'t avoid making an idea just because minecraft has something similar.

P.S. I really do have a lot of fun writing such posts. I\'m looking forward to more discustion on this point! :)

Reaction score
    Actually, i was talking about the first part of your post, e.g. \"Starmade did feature X wrong!\". Like, AMC\'s and AI modules are definitely done wrong. Same stuff about ground combat, which is now kinda rudimentary.

Thank you for clarification, However, i\'m almost certain AI modules are just a placeholder, until something more advanced comes out, I think AMCs are fine mechanics-wise however, I;m pretty sure Schema is just testing different damage/speed/power ratios right now, things will balance out later on.

While I do agree that StarMade shouldn\'t be called minecraft clone. I just mean schema mustn\'t avoid making an idea just because minecraft has something similar.

I agree with that point but it\'s hard to add a Minecraft exclusive feature without alot of people noticing, like adding another dimension.

Off Topic: That\'s a nice avatar, I used to play morrowind alot on the Xbox (original, not 360), the only copy I found was GOTY edition, and right next to Oblivion GOTY, and Skyrim. It costed 10$ more than skyrim, and Oblivion GOTY.

Reaction score
    However, i\'m almost certain AI modules are just a placeholder, until something more advanced comes out, I think AMCs are fine mechanics-wise however, I;m pretty sure Schema is just testing different damage/speed/power ratios right now, things will balance out later on.

Sure, it\'s alpha, it\'s bound to have placeholders. I just meant that, when people say StarMade did feature X wrong, they usualy have a point.

it\'s hard to add a Minecraft exclusive feature without alot of people noticing

But... who cares? StarMade would than probably take position of game for a limited, yet loving amount of people. Like Dwarf Fortress. It would not be too good, nor will it be nice to listen to someone talking about \"that schema which just copied minecraft\". But that may be a necessary sacrifice for making the game better. And that\'s what we all want - StarMade as the best sci-fi sandox multiplayer game ever! Right?

It costed like that for a reason, didn\'t it? ;)

Reaction score
    Dwarf Fortress

DF = AWESOME!

It costed like that for a reason, didn\'t it? ;)

Yep, Morriwind is now a Collectible.

Reaction score
    And that\'s what we all want - StarMade as the best sci-fi sandox multiplayer game ever! Right?

Exactly. It should just have a bunch of great sci-fi features that make sense, regardless of whether they\'ve been done before. I\'m reminded of this:

Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it.
    -C.S. Lewis

Schema should just try to make the game fun. If that involves some features that happen to be in other games, such as Minecraft, that\'s fine. In fact, it might make the balancing easier to figure out. But if not, great.

Reaction score
    Schema should just try to make the game fun. If that involves some features that happen to be in other games, such as Minecraft, that\'s fine. In fact, it might make the balancing easier to figure out.

WARNING: WALL OF TEXT

Games aren\'t about fun (look at horror games for examples) they are about being engaged(i\'m willing to bet if you played a good horror game, you couldn\'t stop, even though it was clearly, not fun)

I think schema should make this game, not for the community, but for himself, make it how HE would want it.

Minecraft isn\'t really that balanced, TNT is OP, Enchantments are OP, all the mobs (including ender dragon) are UP once you get top tier gear with top tear enchants. however, if he has to have X feature from minecraft for the game to be how HE wants it (note how I said \"HE\" not \"the Community\") then by all means, he should add it. on that note, I don\'t think Redstone, Pork drops from ships, or MC clone mobs will ever be implemented, however I DO think he will add more versatile ship AI, more versatile, and complex AI than MC could ever hope to achieve, and much smoother, better modelled, and more versatile NPCs, as well as much better optimization, yeah MC looks like something from the commodore 64, but somehow I can\'t get more than 10 FPS, whereas in Starmade i\'m always at least 120 FPS. Now if you forget this entire post remember this one thing:

Schema should make the game how HE wants it, to make a game HE wants to play, not a game that the community wants, and honestly, if everybody listened to the community, we would all have rocket launchers that can\'t kill anything, tanks that crumble to bits when you breathe on them, countless MORE COD clones, COUNTLESS MC clones, and nothing even remoteley like the games developers want, nameley; Star Citizen, Kerbal Space Program, Command and conquer (RTS isn\'t the most popular genre) Journey, any horror games, the repopulation (or any sandbox games),or EQ next. We would live in a world where you could choose from limitless Minecraft, COD, Bejeweled, WOW, and Angry birds clones, is that what the community wants? it\'s not what I want, but it\'s what people buy, which means, this is an ACURRATE guess of gamings future, so if you want another minecraft clone, wait a few years, then you can play any number of MC clones you want, until then let the last of the unique games stay unique, Because I promise you that the near future will be COD, bejeweled, and Minecraft clones, and nothing else. IN FACT: It\'s already almost come to that, pick up any 10 shooter games, now play all of them, chances are 9/10 are either almost exactly like COD, or Battlefield, then there\'s the odd Halo, or borderlands, now look at casual games, a bunch of Bejeweled clones reskinned, that, my friends is THE FUTURE! and yes, it sucks. but it makes big corporations money, and now, just one more time: Let Schema make the game how he wants to! and don\'t bother him!

But if not, great.

+1 Nuff said.

Reaction score
    Building is a feature. Voxels are an implementation.

You can validly compare features and implimentations without tying them to a brand.

For example, inventory. This is a feature. If you have collectibles, it makes sense from an interface standpoint to be able to access them. Inventory grid is the implementation. Inventory grid is not new, many games have had it because it is a useful and efficient interface. It does not matter that Deus Ex used it. It does not matter that System Shock used it. What matters is that inventory grid is objectively useful as an interface regardless of the name or type of game it appears in.

If you have a game with features that do not appear in any other game, then you have a broken game that can\'t be played. Arguably you don\'t even have a game to begin with.

Reaction score
    however, if he has to have X feature from minecraft for the game to be how HE wants it (note how I said \"HE\" not \"the Community\") then by all means, he should add it.

That\'s what I was talking about all the time.

Reaction score
    That\'s what I was talking about all the time.

umm..... Can I be excused to facepalm....