Starmade Battles with Imperfect Information

Reaction score
    Knowledge is arguably the most important part of modern warfare, and will certainly be a critical component of future warfare. I believe Starmade might benefit from giving players slightly less information at first, eventually giving them far more at a cost.

Currently there are advanced functions built into your ship's core that you may take for granted, but how did they get there, how do they work? I'm talking about Navigation. Have you noticed that the navigation menu for a large or small ship is exactly the same? No matter whether your ship is a pebble in the ocean of space or a continent, each is as equally blind as the other.

What would I propose then to make this scale better? Sensor Array Blocks!

Sensor array blocks would increase the range of the navigation menu, allowing ships to sense other ships from further out, much as radar jamming does the opposite for that target ship.

At high ratios to target mass, sensors should give the statistical outputs of the target ship, seeing how close their shields are to failing or whether their thusters will allow them to escape. High sensors focused long enough on a target ship should create an overlay, either coloring the enemy ship's areas or rendering target hull blocks more transparent than opaque, allowing you to strategically target system component areas more easily. Another thought that came to me is that the target lock for locking missiles could be linked to information gathering. All else being equal, the ship with the best sensors should be the fastest to lock on.

I concede with all the other things to do, this will be low priority, but I think it would be a fun part of the final gameplay. Again, as with all my suggestions concerning system blocks, threefold purpose for a single block type would be advised. One arrangement of the sensor array blocks should emphasize battle, speeding the target lock for missiles and giving the slight edge on who sees who first, as explained above. A second arrangement might benefit strategy, letting one see the ship guts and stat lines, as explained above. A third might be more domestic, an "Astrometrics" if you will, perhaps giving information on the type of star or planet in your crosshairs, or quickly letting you know what faction's ship numbers dominate a given target sector, when StarMade's politics become more dynamic.

On a flip-side note of making a ship invisible / less visible on navigation (via Radar Jamming/Cloaking) a ship that is marooned on a planet or other such non-battle emergency (such as I have done once or twice when failing to add enough thrusters to my shuttles - hello suicide button!) should be able to "turn on" a rescue beacon, ballooning their navigation profile, the opposite of radar jamming. Since beacons already exist and can be either turned on or off, giving them a third feature such as "send out a distress pulse" might be very fun when the economy side of this game picks up a bit and not every ship will be built for breaking other ships. My clone/heir not being able to find his rightful shuttle prototype again is a bit sad. (Of course, that usually is more caused by dyslexia having a field-day with sector coordinates)

Reaction score
    It would only be limited useable for example pirates wont load if they are further away than 2km and I think it supports suprise attacks without radarjammers.

Reaction score
    I\'d love to see this. It would also make large scale battles much more like modern naval battles where there are ships that are built for things other than going pewpewpew, some ships are built specifically for their scanners and it would be nice to see that variety here.

Reaction score
    Nice, as this would cause the UEI to have more cause to build deep space lineups, as we can do stuff like this. it would also send out a reason for the Recovery one, as currently all that ship does is dock with ships. It also can add more possibilities with ships so that you don\'t have to be an admin if you were flying 250km/h and got killed.

Reaction score
    @Cool3303 - You are correct, all range scaling would have to be balanced accordingly. As for limited usability, any such range scaling, as you might imagine, would inherently impact the usability. Without investing in proportionate sensor array blocks, it would then leave a ship more vulnerable to surprise attack, as you say. Whether that is because of enemy cloaking or radar jamming, conceivably sensor array blocks could be established as the correct counter-build to both strategies.

Given the speeds of some ships, 2km is a fairly small range at which to spot targets. Smaller might feel too small. Then again, if it applies to everyone, even pirates, it wouldn\'t break the game, just lead to more chance encounters. Though there currently isn\'t a very big distance window between spotting them and them spotting you, it is nevertheless present. So why do human players have inherently better navigation than the pirates if their ship core is the same block as ours? In the interest of fairness and competetiveness for AI pirates already a step behind, there should be no first-knowledge window for either side (given equal builds). Given unequal builds, for whichever side builds with a better arrangement or simply more Sensor Array Blocks, they would have the first-knowledge distance window. The size of that respective window, of course, being entirely adjustable by game design for balance reasons. Right now we have the feature already, but it\'s one size fits all.

@Choiced - Yes, yes! Role variety. Providing meaningful close-combat support - while maneuvering to stay out of the crossfire would be a fun role to play! Not everyone has to play the Battleship. The better team should augment with a variety. Now you have me thinking of how to go improve on a classic 10x10 grid 2-player strategy game.

@MarshalPictures... - Nice! Knowing people have already prepared ships with roles in mind that would go hand in hand with this idea is good confirmation that this would meet many expectations. I hope your proud fleet may have the opportunity to continue to grow diverse in a pragmatic way since your aesthetic already has a vision of what could be.

@me - Note to self: I want to set up a distress beacon inside a cloaked minefield! Nothing could be quite so lucrative or fun as trapping would-be Good-Samaritans. Probably right up there with scaring trick-or-treaters. You know you\'re doing it right if they spill their buckets of candy and run. If you end up with more candy than when you started, less candy to have to buy next year...

Reaction score
    i like this it just makes the game bether and yea mine\'s are some what useless agens ships that are buildwell or just big they fly in to it and and up at other side of it with out gettign any real dmg meaby a small hit on the shild but it wont stop them and i just like this ideas about how to manige radar and spotting option for ships

may be cool to combine this whit another idea tha ti have seen on the foruma bout true radar domes and jamming parts just lookfor it has to be inthe list with updated topics