Star Trek Phasers

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Anyone know of a Technique that allows us to build weapons that are more like phaser arrays? or atleast less Big Gun, style turrets?

Reaction score
    Beam - Cannon-whatever-red light works exactly like Star Trek phasers. It's a continuous beam and you can use the mouse cursor to track along the surface of your target.

In fact slaving cannons to just about any beam-thing gets it to continuous. I'm a big fan of doing that to my salvage guns.

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah but is there a way to build them so they work without being massive Turrets on the hulls of my ships?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah but is there a way to build them so they work without being massive Turrets on the hulls of my ships?
    Build the weapon inside the hull of your ship, not as a turret, but as a weapon that is part of your ship. The weapon will be able to fire at anything it can 'see' (like if you put a camera right over the firing aperture). You will have to fire the weapon manually as opposed to having an AI fire it as it would if it were a turret.

Alternatively you can build it into a turret and bury the turret inside your hull such that only the firing face is visible as part of your 'deck'. The turret will still engage. However it will turn on it's docking module creating rather obvious gaps in your deck where it was previously flush, at least until such a time as you straighten them.

Reaction score
    A weapon that is part of your ship cannot hit your ship. So like Panpiper said, if you build the weapon inside your hull, it can still fire. You can build anything you want over the top of it if you want making it look EXACTLY like a ship from Star Trek. Of course, we're still a few years from being able to use such a ship without getting into the murky lawyershark infested waters of copyright infringement, but odds are, nobody will notice. Or they'll notice and just not care. Or they'll point and laugh at you because you built a Star Trek ship when everybody knows a Minbari cruiser from Babylon 5 would totally crush anything Star Trek, never mind what the Vorlon would do...

Oh, and I'd not recommend the turret burying thing. It will only be able to fire out whatever limited hole you left in your hull for it, but the AI isn't smart enough not to waste time and effort (and create ugly clipping issues) by spinning around and pointing at stuff that your ship will block it from shooting at.

Reaction score
    Build the weapon inside the hull of your ship, not as a turret, but as a weapon that is part of your ship. The weapon will be able to fire at anything it can 'see' (like if you put a camera right over the firing aperture). You will have to fire the weapon manually as opposed to having an AI fire it as it would if it were a turret.

Alternatively you can build it into a turret and bury the turret inside your hull such that only the firing face is visible as part of your 'deck'. The turret will still engage. However it will turn on it's docking module creating rather obvious gaps in your deck where it was previously flush, at least until such a time as you straighten them.
    They can also be mounted on fixed docking points, will fire in the 'forward' direction of the docking area. Top and sides - forward is forward, front and back - forward is down, bottom - forward is to the rear.

And as far as I know, unless things have changed, turrets can fire through your ship to hit things on the other side, provided that the turret can turn that far. You can completely cover internal turrets and they still work. Unless you bury them deep, missiles can still take them out without harming your ship.

Reaction score
    They can also be mounted on fixed docking points, will fire in the 'forward' direction of the docking area. Top and sides - forward is forward, front and back - forward is down, bottom - forward is to the rear.

And as far as I know, unless things have changed, turrets can fire through your ship to hit things on the other side, provided that the turret can turn that far. You can completely cover internal turrets and they still work. Unless you bury them deep, missiles can still take them out without harming your ship.
    Things have changed. Internal turrets don't do jack. They'll turn and make really growly noises at stuff outside the ship, and maybe they're actually shooting, but they won't hit anything outside because their weapons hit the mothership and do nothing.

And yes, I really for reals tested this because it's such an obvious cheeseball trick I just had to try it.

Reaction score
    would it be possible to build a long turret inside your ship that would clip halfway into a wall and that way be able to fire through the wall?

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    would it be possible to build a long turret inside your ship that would clip halfway into a wall and that way be able to fire through the wall?
    Nope. Turrets can't shoot through the ship they're mounted on.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Nope. Turrets can't shoot through the ship they're mounted on.
    I think he's referring to a turret that normally sits sideways under the hull, and then when an enemy appears and the turret turns, the output blocks clip outside of the host ship.

Initial Turret Docking:
    ####
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    ####

Enemy in range:
    ####
    #__#
    TTTTT
    TTTTT
    #__#
    #__#
    ####

Reaction score
    I think he's referring to a turret that normally sits sideways under the hull, and then when an enemy appears and the turret turns, the output blocks clip outside of the host ship.

Initial Turret Docking:
    ####
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    #TT#
    ####

Enemy in range:
    ####
    #__#
    TTTTT
    TTTTT
    #__#
    #__#
    ####

Gotcha. And that's why god created heat seeker missiles with explosion effect. In a battle of cheese, its a gouda idea to have whey better ideas than your opponent or victory will nacho be yours.

Reactions: jayman38
    Reaction score
    jayman38 yep that is exactly what i mean.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1424967915,1424967621][/DOUBLEPOST]an array of these turrets behind a decorative wall could simulate a phase array... possibly.