Star System renaming?

How much do you want Star system renaming to be in the game?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Is there any way to rename a star system, as in the star itself? IF so, then ignore the poll and let me know.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    maybe with the new fow system the unexplored systems could be unnamed until visited and named by players.

Reaction score
    Is there any way to rename a star system, as in the star itself? IF so, then ignore the poll and let me know.
    Woooooo
    /o/ /o/ /o/

\o\ \o\ \o\

\o/ \o/ \o/

Yea!

Actually, after visiting a certain amount of sectors and creating a station in a sector they should be able to change the sector name using a faction module on a station.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    Actually, after visiting a certain amount of sectors and creating a station in a sector they should be able to change the sector name using a faction module on a station.
    The system would need to be faction claimed, otherwise you get idiots renaming every last star after @$^%#&.

Reaction score
    The system would need to be faction claimed, otherwise you get idiots renaming every last star after @$^%#&.
    And config options to not allow certain words for sever owners, don't you think? And admin commands for the ones someone doesn't like.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This needs to be moved over to Suggestions. MrFURB ?
    [doublepost=1477591334,1477591247][/doublepost]
    Yeah, as funny as it would be to penetrate a nigh-impassible dark nebula and find yourself in the xX_DICK_VAGINA_Xx system... it'd also ruin immersion. :P

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Done.
    My favorite Starmade system name is Betphinionaprae. I may have misspelled that one a bit. I'd love to rename it to something a little less tongue tied.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'd like to see the name generator tweaked to create less systems called "Betyoucantpronounceitay" as well... Might be a bit tricky though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    And config options to not allow certain words for sever owners, don't you think? And admin commands for the ones someone doesn't like.
    Ha! that kind of makes me chuckle, I used to run a small Trade Wars 2002 BBS and in that game you could fire a Genesis torpedo to create your own planet, which of course you go to name. One guy went around naming his planets things like "Laura's <deleted, something a current presidential candidate talked about grabbing> smells good".

If I remember correctly, as an admin there were no tools for the planets, so I couldn't do squat about it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i wonder if there is a way to make a list of player/ server/ whoever made star system names that the generator can pull from. perhaps a file that can be edited with notepad, for example, that the config file can direct the name generator to use first?

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I have to say, I rather like the fixed names. They give a sense of geography to the galaxy, allowing us to say a name and have that actually mean one, and only one, place in the universe. Player-made names are transient, labels that say who lives there, rather than where "there" actually is. While perhaps a slightly enhanced algorithm may be in order, I don't have any significant gripes with the system as it is. After all, what's more of a cornerstone in sci-fi than long, unpronounceable names?

Reactions: Nickizzy
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    some sort of search option on the galaxy map, that would allow you to search/ plot jump courses for systems/ planets by name would be nice.but make it players side, in that it will only search by name for systems you have revealed the FOW on. otherwise you need coords to plot a course. maybe even make the search work with stations?

Reaction score
    the fixed names [...] give a sense of geography to the galaxy, allowing us to say a name and have that actually mean one, and only one, place in the universe.
    Except they don't. I have on more than one occasion seen several stars with identical names in the same galaxy, sometimes even very close to each other. The name generator itself is a nice gadget that could benefit from a linguistic overhaul, but it's certainly not a pressing issue.

I hope we will get a means to name systems and stars independently from each other just like we can name planets and planet plates.

I'd love to see some automation, too: If you find a star you like, scan the system, and claim it, you get to rename the star if you so desire, and the system itself could inherit the name of the first star, unless or until you rename either the system, or the star. The planets would automatically be renamed <first star's name> I, II, III, IV, ... until you claim each, and again can give them individual names.
    Binary or multiple star systems should allow for each star to have its own name, or share <name> A, B, C, ..., and optionally have a system name that is different from the star's name.
    System names could act as aliases for coordinates, so you could set your waypoint to either "2, 2, 2" or "<insert favourite star name>"... well except you'd end up inside the star. Maybe not such a brilliant (haha) idea.

As it is currently, you can name a planet, and then continue to rename each plate individually, but the planet's name sticks, AFAICT there's no way you can't change it after the fact. Naming the individual plates is a feature I very much like and hope will be retained, because it allows for "continents" or "cities", but there should be a way to rename the planet itself, for any number of reasons - captured in war, fat finger typo, named by a troll, whatever.

Likewise, there should always be a way to rename the stars, and the systems themselves. If it needs to be rate-limited, make it cost time, faction points, money, and/or resources, possibly consecutively increasing amounts.

TL;DR:
    (In a claimed system,) the first star that is given a custom name grandfathers this name down the hierarchy - the system inherits the name, a possible companion star results in the first star's name and a qualifier, likewise the planets inherit the star's name and a number; everything can be renamed however many times is necessary, if necessary at increasing cost.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have to say, I rather like the fixed names. They give a sense of geography to the galaxy, allowing us to say a name and have that actually mean one, and only one, place in the universe. Player-made names are transient, labels that say who lives there, rather than where "there" actually is. While perhaps a slightly enhanced algorithm may be in order, I don't have any significant gripes with the system as it is. After all, what's more of a cornerstone in sci-fi than long, unpronounceable names?
    Nobody is going to recognize the names as generated anyway, and being able to modify them - whether as an admin or as a player - seems like a necessary thing to add. Most of the iconic names in Sci-Fi are not "Raxacoricofalliaptorius", and that particular one is only iconic because the others are not so long. Vulcan, Romulus (Rihan), Kronos (Qo'noS), Naboo, Bespin, Tatooine, Gallifrey, Minbar, Narn... One, two, three syllables, and named by their occupants. If those star systems all had names like Agrumakrantarus and Mordalastofrey and Betascoradracon, they would be neither as memorable nor as interesting.

Even the more obscure ones - Banea, Dinaal, Risa, Onderon, Katratzi, Qujaga... I can go on - generally aren't long, and are easily recognizable if they have some relevance. Most StarMade players, at the moment, don't even know the name of the star system they're in, and don't really care, so we wouldn't be losing anything by allowing claimed systems to be renamed by their faction.

Last edited: