Star-Made Modding API?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Reaction score
    Hello,

I've been playing Star-Made for about a year on and off, and have been wondering what are the ways to mod this game. I love Minecraft, and have modded Minecraft for years with Forge, so I was wondering if there was something similar to Forge or is it a built in feature into the game?

If there isn't an API at the moment, is it a planned feature for the game?

Best Regards,
    TheXFactor117

Reaction score
    Better modding support is planned. Currently, however, there's not much you can do on the programming side, because the JAR is scrambled and there's no "take a look at the source" program like there was in Minecraft.

Reaction score
    Better modding support is planned. Currently, however, there's not much you can do on the programming side, because the JAR is scrambled and there's no "take a look at the source" program like there was in Minecraft.
    Ah ok.

I'll look around a bit and mess with some things then. If anyone has some more information, that be great.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When you try something like http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-HOWTO/Java-Decompiler-HOWTO.html

You will probably get a lot of functions and variables just being named v14242 or f24af3.
    And as the terms of use say de-compilers say, it may be (in your country) only legal with your own programs or open-source...

I don't know if or how good it works on StarMade files (you have a lot of 232.java files in jar (=zip) archives) but somewhere in the internet is a version of shine released around 2009. Just search for the engine or developer on sites like dropbox.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    An obfuscated jar doesnt stop anyone except the non-determined from messing with the code.

Reaction score
    I'm a member of the MCP team: the Minecraft Coder Pack, and just recently discovered StarMade. I'm interested in making a similar project for StarMade, so hopefully I'll be able to secure the blessing of the other project members to reuse a lot of the code. I'll let you know how it goes.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    I'm a member of the MCP team: the Minecraft Coder Pack, and just recently discovered StarMade. I'm interested in making a similar project for StarMade, so hopefully I'll be able to secure the blessing of the other project members to reuse a lot of the code. I'll let you know how it goes.
    :O

@gravypod there is hope!

Reaction score
    I humbly thank Microsoft for the positive impact they have on this community.

:>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Come forth young man, and be absorbed into our great and humble community of epic guys. THANKS MICROSOFT, even if it is at the expense of minecraft, but, who cares :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you need any help, just ask. I'd love to implement some kind of community API.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Ahh predictions are all ready coming true about modders leaving Minecraft.

Reaction score
    Ahh predictions are all ready coming true about modders leaving Minecraft.
    I'm not leaving Minecraft (yet)... I just discovered a new game that's pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

I actually got a PM from someone at Schine earlier regarding the EULA and how it applies to modding. It sounds like they are very supportive of modding, but just to be sure they are ok with how a tool like MCP works I sent some follow-up questions. Hopefully the answers will be positive.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I'm not leaving Minecraft (yet)... I just discovered a new game that's pretty cool and has a lot of potential.

I actually got a PM from someone at Schine earlier regarding the EULA and how it applies to modding. It sounds like they are very supportive of modding, but just to be sure they are ok with how a tool like MCP works I sent some follow-up questions. Hopefully the answers will be positive.
    I have been in contact with schema for some time. He does not mind. If you would like, pm me your skype info and I'll ask if I can make a group for us.

Reaction score
    I have been in contact with schema for some time. He does not mind. If you would like, pm me your skype info and I'll ask if I can make a group for us.
    I generally try to avoid Skype unless absolutely necessary. IRC and/or TeamSpeak would be preferred. It's trivial to setup an invite-only IRC channel if need be.

Reaction score
    A modding API at times like this would seriously help game development along, by a long way, since it would no longer be just schema. Plus if someone makes a very good mod who knows, schema might just integrate it.

Especially during times like this when we are getting a new member spike.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A modding API at times like this would seriously help game development along, by a long way, since it would no longer be just schema. Plus if someone makes a very good mod who knows, schema might just integrate it.

Especially during times like this when we are getting a new member spike.
    If someone really makes such a good mod, does he then not deserve to play this game when it's released?
    Or have one more friend playing? After all he contributed in a way to likely attract more than one new player by this.

Reaction score
    Hmm... seems interesting. I had made a few attempts at Minecraft modding once, though nothing ever came of it. It's a bit demoralizing to want to make a mod to do X, when that thing is done by several other mods out there, which are much larger and better than what I could reasonably create or maintain while still dealing with daily life. Not to mention that the well balanced mods tended to be ignored in favor of the ones at the extremes of OP/tedium.

If official modding support is to be a thing, though, it would be far better to start out early with a mod API once the underlying code for making the game work is more or less finalized (which I suspect it is for the most part).

I humbly thank Microsoft for the positive impact they have on this community
    This is signiture worthy.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Anyone else notice how the agree icon has a little orange - symbol?

Reaction score
    Hello bspkrs! Nice to see you around here :)

Long time Minecrafter, Server Admin/Owner, and modpack maker here :)

I never play without your ArmorStatusHUD amd StatusEffectHUD mods, so you are most welcome here!

Status
    Not open for further replies.