Star-Log 01.124.01

Reaction score
    Greetings, citizens!

My username is Joshy Boy and I am new to the cold frontier of space. I have not played much of Starmade (a friend recommended it to me) but I have seen a fair few videos and the game looks right up my alley. While I am aware of recent updates they made to the game, I have some questions that I would like some answers to or speculations at least. Without further ado, here are the questions:

1. Will NPCs be seen roaming around the galaxy in the new NPC faction update? I don't mean just ships, I mean NPCs who will get out of their ships and do their own thing across the galaxy. Since the release of the NPC faction update, I wanted to know if players would be able to engage in land battles upon planetoids or be able to interact with NPCs they find wandering throughout. (forgive me of my ignorance)

2. Will the planetoids be bigger and more diverse? I don't mean planet-sized planets, but I would like to see planets varying in size (big, small, ringed, etc.). From what I've seen in videos, planetoids have environments like deserts, forests, and artic areas. Will planetoids be more diverse in future updates? Maybe like an ocean planet or a radioactive planet or maybe even a lava planet (I like having planets to explore). Do you think the devs will put secrets on some of these planetoids in future updates?

3. Will there be creatures in future updates? This goes along with the NPC faction update in a way. I heard that there are creatures or were at least hinted at. It would be kind of cool to find some creatures to either discover, tame, or battle throughout my journey across the stars. I remember seeing some kind of spider like creature in one of the intro videos some time ago.

4. Do you think land vehicles will be a possibility in the future? Probably not, but it's nice to hope. The only way I can see that happening is as if the planets were bigger. But do you guys think it is possible to have land vehicles at some point in the game?

Anyway, that's all the questions I have for now. If anyone is able to answer or speculate, that would be fantastic! Thank you in advance and thank you Schine for making Starmade!

Reaction score
    Greetings, citizens!

My username is Joshy Boy and I am new to the cold frontier of space. I have not played much of Starmade (a friend recommended it to me) but I have seen a fair few videos and the game looks right up my alley. While I am aware of recent updates they made to the game, I have some questions that I would like some answers to or speculations at least. Without further ado, here are the questions:

1. Will NPCs be seen roaming around the galaxy in the new NPC faction update? I don't mean just ships, I mean NPCs who will get out of their ships and do their own thing across the galaxy. Since the release of the NPC faction update, I wanted to know if players would be able to engage in land battles upon planetoids or be able to interact with NPCs they find wandering throughout. (forgive me of my ignorance)

2. Will the planetoids be bigger and more diverse? I don't mean planet-sized planets, but I would like to see planets varying in size (big, small, ringed, etc.). From what I've seen in videos, planetoids have environments like deserts, forests, and artic areas. Will planetoids be more diverse in future updates? Maybe like an ocean planet or a radioactive planet or maybe even a lava planet (I like having planets to explore). Do you think the devs will put secrets on some of these planetoids in future updates?

3. Will there be creatures in future updates? This goes along with the NPC faction update in a way. I heard that there are creatures or were at least hinted at. It would be kind of cool to find some creatures to either discover, tame, or battle throughout my journey across the stars. I remember seeing some kind of spider like creature in one of the intro videos some time ago.

4. Do you think land vehicles will be a possibility in the future? Probably not, but it's nice to hope. The only way I can see that happening is as if the planets were bigger. But do you guys think it is possible to have land vehicles at some point in the game?

Anyway, that's all the questions I have for now. If anyone is able to answer or speculate, that would be fantastic! Thank you in advance and thank you Schine for making Starmade!
    I agree with 3

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Will NPCs be seen roaming around the galaxy in the new NPC faction update?
    At the moment no, but I do expect that feature to make it in eventually.

Will the planetoids be bigger and more diverse?
    Yes. And maybe even sometime soon. Larger planets, planets with biomes, and gas giants have all been hinted at or teased, and we can expect at least some of these to be in Starmade come the Universe Update.

Will there be creatures in future updates?
    Yes. There were even a few models teased at for both spaceborne creatures and land creatures.

Do you think land vehicles will be a possibility in the future?
    Yes. Well, I mean technically they are possible now, just extremely hacky and there's really no reason to use them when you could just do everything from a spaceship a hundred times larger and more powerful. The Devs have said that land based activities will be present but won't be a major focus, usually taking a back seat to (or in support of) doing things in space.

Hope that helps. If you've got any other questions let me know.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    2. Will the planetoids be bigger and more diverse?
    3. Will there be creatures in future updates?
    Welcome to starmade Joshy:D
    There is a planet overhaul/rework that is currently in-progress and being worked on by the devs. Due to their small team, we could probably expect to see more progress on it in the next few months.

The devs have already made some modals/worked on space criters.

There have also been some critters trialed in previous versions (you could probably download an older version and find them)>

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    Thanks guys! And I appreciate the warm welcome! Seeing these answers makes me excited for the new upcoming updates for Starmade. I will do my best to keep track of all the news and dev-blogs that are posted on this site. Cheers and thank you Schine for making Starmade!

Reaction score
    Greetings, citizens!

Nice and interesting questions, I can understand why you are curious.

1: No. There is crew planned, but those willl not be npcs as you describe it. The crew update is likely to take another year at least.
    2: Yes, worked on, will be there in maybe less than 6 months.
    3: Yes, no. They plan on implementing fauna. They don't plan on doing it in any relation to a npc as you are describing it. I don't remember any mentions when they are doing it.
    4: No. No. This feature is somthing nice, but it will, if Shine would think on implementing it, only be implemented at a very late point of development, as they are many other more important features on their list.

Sources:
    1. Frequent Suggestions Megathread
    2. StarMade Development Direction

Explanation:
    The Shine team appears to work on the following items in this order: Universe Tick, Planets, Power, Faction enhancements. Other features seem to come after this near future ones are fleshed out.

Disclaimer: I might sound like I know things, but those are just my guesses from what I've gathered.

Reactions: Top 4ce
    Reaction score
    Nice and interesting questions, I can understand why you are curious.

1: No. There is crew planned, but those willl not be npcs as you describe it. The crew update is likely to take another year at least.
    2: Yes, worked on, will be there in maybe less than 6 months.
    3: Yes, no. They plan on implementing fauna. They don't plan on doing it in any relation to a npc as you are describing it. I don't remember any mentions when they are doing it.
    4: No. No. This feature is somthing nice, but it will, if Shine would think on implementing it, only be implemented at a very late point of development, as they are many other more important features on their list.

Sources:
    1. Frequent Suggestions Megathread
    2. StarMade Development Direction

Explanation:
    The Shine team appears to work on the following items in this order: Universe Tick, Planets, Power, Faction enhancements. Other features seem to come after this near future ones are fleshed out.

Disclaimer: I might sound like I know things, but those are just my guesses from what I've gathered.
    Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for your input. I really do hope that NPCs will be present in later updates. But I suppose that if I wanted planetside/spaceship interior/space station battles, it would probably be best to join a multiplayer server. It might be a while before I join one, though. I'll be learning this game like I learned Minecraft; experimentation style.