Standardized Docking Sizes?

Reaction score
    Has anyone made up a list o' standardized docking sizes yet?
    If not, I think it'd be useful to have a few 'standard' docking sizes so you can build shits to fit other people's shuttle-/fighter-/titan-bays.

I don't want to be limited in creative use by standard docking sizes... Especially on small ships, carriers, and other tight dock spaces.
    The idea is a list - made right here on the forum - of generally agreed-upon sizes for docking modules; so you can more easily add compatibility for other people's ships if you so desire - completely optional.

It'd be helpful if people here posted the usual sizes of their ships - drop pods, shuttles, fighters, corvettes, frigates, cruisers, titans, etc.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Zeno9141
    Reaction score
    Anyways, sure, why not? If implemented into the actual game, it could be in the form of ship classes.
    Maybe, but I was just thinking for now we'd (erryone on the forum here) would agree on five or six sizes for docks.

Then you can build ships to those sizes, be all like 'My ship holds one standard-size shuttle', people could build docking bay prefabs to those sizes, etc.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    If it was implemented as a ship class, then the class naming system should be very general. Everyone calls their ships by their own system. It should be something like Class A dock, Class B dock. Etc. Or something similar. Greek letters? :P That would be cool. Theta Class Dock. That is ridiculous and awesome. People can still call their ships whatever and put down the Docking class size in their stats.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I don't want to be limited in creative use by standard docking sizes... Especially on small ships, carriers, and other tight dock spaces.

Reaction score
    The idea is a list - made right here on the forum - of generally agreed-upon sizes for docking modules; so you can more easily add compatibility for other people's ships if you so desire - completely optional.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Oohhh. I thought you meant an actual feature in the game that has standardized docking sizes.
    My bad. In that case, I completely agree.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I've always thought it would be pretty funny if we used the Isanth Zero's longest dimension as the standard for the average dock on all dimensions, having standard docks be "Isanth Zero Compliant" so to speak.

This actually makes me wonder what the average personal ship's dimensions are. Might be an interesting study if someone can compile some statistical data.

Reaction score
    This actually makes me wonder what the average personal ship's dimensions are. Might be an interesting study if someone can compile some statistical data.
    That would actually be pretty useful for this; we could have players grab the sizes of random ships from the servers they play on, so we see what sizes they trend toward

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I developed what I call a 5x5 docking system, for externally docked structures. There are one or two doors, 5x5 in size. The docking block is three blocks away from the center edge of one door, and if there are two doors, the docking block is in the center.

Here is a slightly more graphical layout to explain how it looks.

Code:
    DDDDD     DDDDD
    DDDDD     DDDDD
    DDDDD  X  DDDDD
    DDDDD     DDDDD
    DDDDD     DDDDD
    Legend: D = Plexdoor, X = docking block. There are two blocks of material between each door and the docking block, normally grey hull.

Here is a graphic representation of a vertical 5x5 dock.

Code:
    DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD

X

DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD
    DDDDD

As is usually the case, one of the two doors may be excluded.

For internal docks, I have so far either used a simple 7x7x7 cube behind a 7x7 door, or a larger hanger with at least one 35x25x35 area for handling an Isanth. Generally speaking, smaller craft built by players, such as shuttles or small dropships, will normally fall within that Isanth-standard size (35x19x31).

Reaction score
    For internal docks, I have so far either used a simple 7x7x7 cube behind a 7x7 door,
    How do you get a 7x7x7 ship through a 7x7 door? It never works for me. I can only fit through a door if the door is 1 block wider than the ship.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    That would actually be pretty useful for this; we could have players grab the sizes of random ships from the servers they play on, so we see what sizes they trend toward
    I need to get into the habit of recording my docking zones and all ships. Typically when I write up ship stats I include all docking zone sizes based on their "L Rating" as well as ships intended to be docked. Bigger ships are harder to figure out exactly so I haven't been bothering.

It's a little out of date but you can see I've listed all the dock ports based on my classification system.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How do you get a 7x7x7 ship through a 7x7 door? It never works for me. I can only fit through a door if the door is 1 block wider than the ship.
    Generally, anything that is going there is not going to fill the whole space, so while the docking zone is 7x7x7, the actual docked structure will probably only be 5x6x5. If it is a docked energy pod or some other small utility pod, I might dock the core block first, and then build up the pod while it's docked in its docking zone.

Edit: Even when building in-place, the game will restrict you by preventing you from building at the outer-most faces of the docking area, saying that it is blocked by the host structure.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Has anyone made up a list o' standardized docking sizes yet?
    If not, I think it'd be useful to have a few 'standard' docking sizes so you can build shits to fit other people's shuttle-/fighter-/titan-bays.
    IDK, I think it would be best to just specify the longest distance from core in each direction.