Spray painting blocks and changing block color on already built structures

Reaction score
    I would like the ability to make color changes to ships and stations that are already constructed.

The best way I know of to do this is to make a "spray paint can" or "spray paint gun." The paint gun would be placed inside a factory with the same materials that you would need to changing the color of hull/armor. The paint gun would be able to store all colors, and you would cycle through the colors the same way you cycle through armor stacks.

Each production cycle of the factory would add one charge of color to the paint gun, and each factory enhancer connected to the factory would add one additional charge.

The goal is to make the materials used the same, regardless of the method you use to color your blocks. The other option is to make the use of the paint gun less efficient than a factory and cost more per charge. The use of a paint gun that needed to be charged in a factory would ensure that the time needed to change the color of each block would remain the same and would prevent players from skipping the construction time for colored armor.

If you have two paint guns you can split a color into two groups just like you would with separating armor stacks, but the difference is you would drop the spray paint directly onto a different paint gun. This should eliminate the need to make new item ids for each spray paint color.

Any ideas to improve this concept will be most appreciated.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    All you need is a paint gun tool. Right-click on it to open a menu and set the color, and then left-click to paint. It could consume paint cans from your inventory. Starmade keeps all materials and paints in handy, ready-to-use capsules so I don't think there's any need to involve a factory just to load a paint gun.

Reaction score
    All you need is a paint gun tool. Right-click on it to open a menu and set the color, and then left-click to paint. It could consume paint cans from your inventory. Starmade keeps all materials and paints in handy, ready-to-use capsules so I don't think there's any need to involve a factory just to load a paint gun.
    The only reason to involve a factory is because a factory is involved to create colored armor blocks. Without it, players could skip the time consuming process of using a factory to change the color of grey hull. If the production time is not important, then by all means skip the factory step.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I have never liked the fact you need different minerals to create different colored hull blocks when realistically all you need is some spray paint.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The only reason to involve a factory is because a factory is involved to create colored armor blocks. Without it, players could skip the time consuming process of using a factory to change the color of grey hull. If the production time is not important, then by all means skip the factory step.
    The production time would be replaced with the time it takes to spray each block individually.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    But why? Is the game any more fun because producing colored ships requires a "time consuming process?"

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can already do this using advanced buildmode, where right clicking replaces the selected cube with the one on your hot bar

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Exactly: requiring resources for colored hull does nothing but restrict building, as there is barely any advantage gained from the differences in color.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Perhaps it would be better as an addition to the already implemented advanced build mode function where you can either change block type or simply color for all blocks you click

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Being able to change the color of a ship hull without removing blocks would be really useful for different factions. They could use a common hull and paint it with their own scheme. Kind of like how different airlines buy a plane from Airbus or Boeing and paint it in their own livery.

Reaction score
    I think some method of changing the color of a structure without replacing blocks is a good idea. Mr.Steam is right that it is how its done in RL just paint the bloody thing. Having different resources needed just make all of the different colors is a bit silly to me.

Reaction score
    I think some method of changing the color of a structure without replacing blocks is a good idea. Mr.Steam is right that it is how its done in RL just paint the bloody thing. Having different resources needed just make all of the different colors is a bit silly to me.
    This is the entire reason for this post. Currently, it takes time to change the color of something already built. The idea for the paint gun was to save time by not needing to rebuild for a color change.

You can already do this using advanced buildmode, where right clicking replaces the selected cube with the one on your hot bar
    I did not know this. It helps and is good to know, but I still want the ability to paint something already made.[/QUOTE]