Splitting Faction Block Rank Based Access

G

GDPR 302420

Currently, faction blocks allow members to set who can access the entity with the faction block based on rank. If you were to set a station to Rank 4 and Above, only those with rank 4 and above could interact or edit the entity. You can even set an entity as personal to allow only the owner to edit or interact with it.

This is a good start, but unfortunately the only access you can give is full unrestricted access or no access at all.

My suggestion is to split the faction block rank based access control into 3 things.

"Faction Block Config Edit" Will determine what rank is needed to edit, delete or otherwise interact with the faction block.

"Edit Entity" Will determine what rank is needed to place and remove blocks, as well as change what is blocks are linked to what (with c + v) as well as use the "Undock all" and similar commands in the entity structure menu.

"Interact with entity" Will what rank is needed to interact with blocks on the entity, such as get into the ship core, activate buttons/logic blocks or doors as well as open storages or factories.

The faction block menu interface would look a little something like this.

This suggestion, if implemented will allow factions to have much more ability to control what members have access to what, an essential mechanic for public factions and factions that recruit.

An extention to the original idea - added 29/9

I would also like to propose a "log" of faction member actions. This would be avaliable to the faction founder by default and could assign others to access it by adding their IGNs to a "whitelist"

This log could be used as a means of interal auditing for security purposes and tracking activity. Some things that could be logged include.

• Factionmember has entered/exited [insert name of entity owned by faction here]
    • Factionmember used "undock all" command on [insert name of entity owned by faction here]
    • Factionmember changed faction permissions on [insert name of entity owned by faction here] to [insert changes] from [insert old permissions]
    • Factionmember attempted [action] but was unable to as he did not have required permissions
    • Factionmember in the entity [insert name of entity owned by faction here] was attacked by [Entity Name] which caused an automatic war declaration against [factionname]
    • Factionmember attacked [entity name] which caused an automaticl declaration of war against us by [factionname]
    • Factionmember has deconstructed [insert name of entity owned by faction here] by either deleting the last block or deconstructing it using a shipyard
    • Factionmember has accessed [Storage name] on the entity [insert name of entity owned by faction here] and withdrew/deposited [insert items and number of items deposited here]
    • Factionmember has started production of [blockname] in [factoryname] on the entity [insert name of entity owned by faction here]
    • Factionmember invited [playername] to join the faction
    • Factionmember undocked [entityname] from [entityname]
    • Factionmember activated/deactivated Bobby AI on entity [insert name of entity owned by faction here]
    • Factionmember activated/deactivated [factoryname]/[shipyard name]/[insert other faction infastructure that was turned off/on here]
    • Factionmember conducted a trade with [factionname] by purchacing [commodites] in exchange for [credit amount] from the players personal bank/faction credit storage/shop credit storage

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: MeRobo and Crusade
    G

GDPR 302420

This is a necropost

Also, I have added an extention to this idea in the original post

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reactions: Reilly Reese
    Reaction score
    This would be a highly useful idea.

I don't play with larger factions on multiplayer servers mostly because I've always been more of a loner (and haven't played much at all recently but also because I don't generally trust people.

This makes it a lot easier to trust people.

Well, it makes it easier to mistrust people and then have your suspicions confirmed, but same difference, right?