Split engines into different types with different effects. Also, add "Item levels/tiers"

Zeveryn

The Devious Traitor
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Fighters no..
    bombers yes.

Most space battles the Figthers and Bombers of the fleet pose the biggest threat to Capital ship:

Capital cant turn fast enough.

Usually capitals dont have those kind of turrets VS fighters, mostly against cruisers or Corvette.

So in order to defend the capital you need gunships AKA Flak

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Tech tier wise, I like it, but it shouldn\'t be the ship as a whole. Higher tier = less grouping for the same performance. Essentially, higher tier blocks are more efficient. Of course, it\'ll widen the gap between veteran players and their ships and the newer players and theirs. But I guess that\'s what happens. I\'m just sick and tired of building a big capital and having to chuck a huge amount of power blocks, shield blocks and weapon blocks just to get a little more performance per block, especially for ships with expansive interiors.

Armor, well... armor. At the stage of the game as of 8/3/13, armor is for looks and nothing less. AMC\'s and missiles chew through them like a hot knife through butter. Armor needs a nice buff.

As to the fleet idea... 3 or so fighters/bombers should never, I repeat, never, be able to take out a well built capital. Bombers, in my mind at least, should be here to significantly damage exposed systems. They swoop in after the rest of the fleet has done some damage and take out said exposed systems. To do this, I\'d like to see a new weapon; a plasma torpedo. Essentially, a unguided, medium speed bomb that can ignore shields and does decent amounts of module damage. Basically, the bomber aims their ship at said module, clicks, peels off and watches as the torpedo damages systems. Modules, as in engines, shields, power blocks, weapons, cockpits, weapon CPU\'s, etc. It\'d only be effective in numbers, but when it hits, oh, does it hit.

Also, for looks, I\'d like to see a beam weapon. Basically a reskin of a AMC that fires a beam. RoF wouldn\'t be constant, more towards damage per second. It\'d do more damage but at a cost of less RoF and the need for lots of grouping. Essentially a salvage beam that does better damage haha.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I wouldn\'t be surprised if that got tested out a bit in the near future, since schema apparently is messing around with missiles a bit on the side of his main project.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Instead, we get a new weapon which I still need to try out. That new effects system he apparently coded to have the pulse use sounds good. He also messed with missiles a bit more, and supposedly the dumbfires are now twice as strong as the homing missiles.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I really like the idea of ships not naturally being able to hit the speed limit. The tier system sounds nifty for a lot of items. The idea of \"Manuevering Thrusters\" is also a good one, but a simpler method than calculating engine position compared to the core and facing, or adding another block type may be to simply change from using total mass to mass/thrust in the turn speed calculation. Obviously some tweaking in the code would need to be done to use this smaller number but that should be simple. Thrusters have diminishing returns as far as I can tell so while using mass/thrust super massive ships shouldn\'t ever be able to be as maneuverable as much smaller ships.

With this system you could add more engines, upping your thrust, to increase turn rate. Or you could choose to be more powerful in other ways.

A more complicated calculation should be used so \"fighters/bombers\" turn faster even with an equivalent mass/thrust ratio to a \"titan\". For example my current fighter is 147.5 mass (not counting turrets, I\'m not sure if they add to the total mass) and it has 204 thrust so that ratio is .723. With the current system it takes ~25 seconds for this ship to do a 360. I\'d like that to be around 10 seconds I think (I\'d need to play with it, but with this system a ship could be easily customized to turn at a rate you like, within reason). However if a ship had 72303 mass and 10,000 thrust it would also have a .723 mass/thrust ratio; but it shouldn\'t be able to turn as fast as the fighter, so some sort of consideration must be taken to prevent titans from turning like fighters.

Maybe a tier system: 0-300 mass = fighter, 301-600 = bomber and so on, each with it\'s own configurable speed multiplier. These are totally off the top of my head so feel free to suggest different tiers, or make them configurable (I love messing with config files). So a \"fighter\" could have a tier rating of 1 giving a calculation of (147.5/204)*1 so a .723 ratio. Whereas the \"titan\" could have a tier rating of .5 giving a calculation of (72303/10000)*.5 equaling a .3615 ratio. Then maybe make the ratio be 36 degrees per second * the ratio, giving my \"fighter\" a turn rate of 26.028 degrees per second. That would make it take ~14 seconds to turn 360 degrees. The \"titan\" would therefore turn at 13 degrees per second or one rotation per 28 seconds (that seems fast, maybe make the tier smaller?). Again, these are off the top of my head numbers that seem to work so if you have better ideas I\'m open to suggestions.

Edit: I\'m a derp, this works for my little ship because it has more thrust than mass, but if a ship has more mass than thrust the equation makes bad things happen. Like a 10,000 mass titan spinning at 10 revolutions per second >.<