Speed, Fight

mou

Reaction score
    I think big ships should be much slower than fighters while its not traveling and fighters should be much faster in that case

then when traveling with a hyperspace/wrapdrive whatever you want big ships are much faster than small ships

thats what happend in many sf series and it would create a new strategy

for now fights are basiquely going anywhere at max speed and sh** (its not really cool...)

Reaction score
    I don\'t think speed should be dependant on mass...Larger ships should be as fast if not faster, just very slow to turn. More thrusters = more thrust, duh

mou

Reaction score
    in every sf movies its like that a mothership can\'t reach fighter speed in 10 seconds or stop in 5 seconds

fights are fucked up admit it

mou

Reaction score
    and as I said big ships will be faster when traveling

Reaction score
    Fights are fucked up? Well as it stands the game is fucked up. A pissy little ship can take down some of my ships that are 50x larger than it. tell me whats wrong with that?

Lets just say you have a figher and a titan

both have 50 thrusters on them, The figher will move faster and the titan will prolly not even move.

If thrust was dependent on mass it would be annoying. The larger the ship the slower it turns and rotates, isn\'t that enough? the more thrusters on a ship means faster accelerate. you people all just want things to have limits and be limited based on other variables on the ship.

This is a voxel game where sometimes things wont make sense, deal with...stop complaining. it\'s also in alpha and things will be balanced around mid beta when schema has most of the base mechanics fixed and done

mou

Reaction score
    then you find that normal:

in fights we are always at max speed, this means we can\'t fire missiles (speed of missiles + locking reset while sector change)

you can\'t escape even with big ships because you go up/down/right/left as fast as forward and backward

want more in this list?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    i agree with Hatter. it is not fair if a small ship can take out a ship 50 times it size. because if that would be the case then it would be way more cost effective to just build small fighters, instead of big battleships. and where is the fun in that?

big ships already turn like flying bricks, yet people still want them to fly slower and shoot slower. if schema does implement that, then building big ships would be a waste of time and recources since fighting small ships with it would be next to impossible, and it would also become way more boring to fly a titan.

you just shouldnt be able to take out a titan with 1 fighter. a mouse will never beat a elephant, a dwarf will never beat a giant and smaller army\'s will always lose when they fight bigger army\'s ( of course, there are exeptions). why should starmade be different and let fighters be able to kill titans?.

would it be fair when small ships get obliterated by titans? hell yes it would, because you are able to do something about it. you are able to build a big ship yourself, and get revenge.

im sure people are going to give me examples of when smaller things did kill big things, like when a small plane dropped a bomb on a battleship and destroyed it in one hit.( but keep in mind that that was ship vs plane, which is a huge difference. when the plane was a ship of that size then the battleship would oblitirate the small ship) but i do hope i made my point.

i hope that titans will not become obselete. being able to build big ships that are good looking and effective is what made this game fun to me. right now, fighters are able to kill titans. i am okay with that, since it is very hard to do, but please do not make it easier by making titans shoot 1 in 20 minutes and go as fast as a snail.

Reaction score
    Anyways it makes sence that the big ships (with alot of engines) move faster in hyper space and fighters slower. You know you can add turrets to big ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Big ships should really have a faster maximum speed than small ships, but probably smaller acceleration, though played by ratio. For instance, a 100 block ship with 10 thrusters should accelerate ten times faster than a 1000 block ship with 10and equal speeds with a 1000 block ship with 100 thrusters.

Big ships should have the advantage, of course, but \'with great power comes great responsibility\' as it were. A single fighter taking down a big ship should be entirely possible, otherwise the game would be no fun without the credits, but while a big ship may be able to take down a fighter in a single shot, the fighter should need around five minutes and clearly superior skills.

The only way a small fighter could really take down a big ship fast would be to deliver nuclear/antimatter payload into a sensitive area of the larger ship, and I have no idea if that\'d ever be added.

Ideally, a squad of around 20 fighters should be about even with a huge ship, but good luck getting 20 fighters together.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think it should be thruster dependent with no auto deceleration,velocity should be constant,

also to your point,by this logic a bottle rocket should be faster than saturn 5.

Enterprise is faster than the shuttle,in space max speed is that of light,a bottle rocket with unlimited fuel can reach the same speed a saturn 5 with unlimited fuel,the bottle would just be slower.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You\'re confusing speed with acceleration.

Smaller ships have more acceleration in that case, not necessarily speed.

Acceleration in this game depends on the ratio of the number of thrusters to the mass of the ship.