Space Stations Preview - Part 4

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello and welcome to StarMade
    A little detour was taken, but now things are back on track with more performance and less memory usage. Also, the new recycle module is done.

Space Stations Progress

Performance Upgrade
    As I was testing with bigger and bigger objects, the space stations proved to be an excellent benchmark. I couldn't resist to implement some performance tweaks. As I was checking the code for hotspots, I realized that my caching method for segments wasn't actually turned on, which means, that every time, a segment comes into vision, the complete lighting was recalculated. Turning that feature on speeds up the loading process of segments multiple times!

Memory
    I also did some upgrades to the memory management of segments. After few bit fiddling tricks I managed to squeeze a segment in even less space, resulting in a way better scalability

The Recycling Module
    This module is the first "active" module in the game. If a player places modules in it, the recycling module will automatically convert that object over time into a more valuable module, which can either be used, or sold in the shop. In the future, this module will be used to create unique items.

What comes next
    Next, I'm going to tackle some long awaited features, mainly: Block Orientation. The technical basics are already implemented, but the logic and the graphical representation is still missing.

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    schema