Space Stations Preview - Part 1

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hello and welcome to StarMade,
    The next few news will feature a preview of what to come in the next update. I can't release it until it's done, since it would only be barely usable.

Space Stations
    Well, now StarMade brings Space Stations into the mix. Space Stations will either be completely procedurally generated, or build by the player from the scratch. Of course, generated space stations can be customized. Space Stations will also have a unique set of modules, that can only be placed there.
    There will be Space Station slots for players to inhabit and to set their spawn point there.

Space Station Blocks
    There will be a lot of blocks taken over by the ship. All the weapon and missile blocks, as well as the power and gravity block are available to place in space stations. I want to point out the gravity block in particular, since this it's intended way of use is within Space Stations. A lot of new blocks will enhance that module.

Introducing the first unique Space Station block: The Landing Module
    This module is similar to the docking module but with one decisive difference: A landed ship is affixed to the landing block. That means, that you can edit your ship, without having to worry, that it might float away. You can also use gravity to edit your ship from the ground. Use scaffolding and all the tools a block world provides to make your ship even more awesome. Then just get in, undock yourself from the landing module and fly out into space (that is actually a pretty amazing feeling, at least for me)

Teaser
    The next preview is going to feature new Modules that help you get around on your space station. Look forward to the "Lift Module".

Thanks for playing StarMade,
    - schema

Reaction score
    It looks pretty cool, I am facing a couple problems though. First, docking doesn't seem to work when a shield generator is close by. Not sure if this is by design or a glitch. Second is that the ships can often times combine and every once in a while get stuck, or usually end up with the mother ship flying away with a fair somtimes huge velocity. I think this is due in part to the velocity of the ship being docked teleporting into the mother ship creating a simulated gigantic ram into the mother ship. I tried docking with the module away so the the docking ship would only ever touch the module and the mother ship ending with a velocity of 60 pulling my ship along.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thanks for the detailed description.
    I'll try to fix that in the upcomming version