Space Exploration - The great unknown

Reaction score
    One of the best parts about StarMade and other space sim type of games is the exploration elements of it. The great unknown of space can be an awesome prospect. As of now, you can explore space and find the following:

Abandoned Space Stations

Pirate Space Stations

Shops

Planets

Sun

Asteroids

Pirates

Trade Ships

While there is a cool exploration element with visiting different planets with different biomes, there are not enough things in actual space. The only real reason to explore at this moment is to mine for more space stations / pirate space stations. Also, going from shop to shop. Where is the unknown? The variety? We need some more of it.

Let's think about this for a moment. Space stations, Pirate Stations, and Planets all have these fixed parameters. We need some variation in things. Perhaps different space stations. Perhaps more NPC factions... some hostile, some peaceful. Perhaps different NPC factions can have different ships. Perhaps NPC factions can have a home planet. Adding things like different shops would be cool also. I understand why uniformity can be nice when it comes to things that players visit often (like shops) but a slight variation from shop to shop would be welcome. Having the shops look slightly different- maybe have a ring instead of a line. Maybe have slightly different blocks.

Also, space. Space has a lot of cool stuff that can be added. Asteroid fields that span across many sectors like a wall, different color nebulas you can hide in (jam sensors maybe), comets, actual moving rocks, abandoned ships (damaged)- all this could be added. Black holes, moons, wormholes, whatever. If a wormhole is the same as a black hole forgive me.

I want to explore and be able to find cool things. Maybe super rare to find stuff also. Add super rare materials that can only be found certain areas. Add collectables. Add more logbooks to find. Maybe add alien species. The sky is the limit! Alright- space is the limit.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
    I want to be the pirate.

Run, little traders, run. I\'lll get you, and your little cargo hold, too.

NPCs, specifically pirates can currently draw from player blueprints to make up their force. The AI for some of these might benefit from a personality toggle? I don\'t always build warships. I\'d like to see some AI run away from me rather than toward.

That\'s all. Reverse magnetism.

Reaction score
    I would put ideas down but there are so many I would be reported for spam (also I t would take to long to type).
    I reckon that every single one of the ideas that you suggested would be perfect though, and should be definately be .added. +10 for support.

Reaction score
    I agree. However, maybe some real science could be added too, such as researching plants and breaking down blocks. Just a thought.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    /faction_join_id Yarp -1

To become the founder and make a faction home etc - /faction_mod_member 5

Reaction score
    I definitely think that being able to be a \"bad guy\" should be an option here. Being able to somehow join the pirates or a pirate faction could be like joining the dark brotherhood in Skyrim. If you kill a trader ship, you get invited to the Pirate\'s faction. ;)

This is one way to add depth to the universe. There are all sorts of exploration elements I want to see added ontop of this though. Having different pirate factions would be really cool.

Reaction score
    It\'s definitely a good point you make. Having the crew do trivial and repetitive minigames to add to the ships efficiency is definitely boring. That\'s why I think having the crew do more interactive and fun tasks would be better. If you think of some of the more popular multiplayer games (even MMOs) there are different roles. In WoW, you have a healer, a tank, and a few DPSs. In this game, you have a Pilot, Gunners, and maybe an engineer. Each have a significant role. If in StarMade you gave each roll something to make them feel like they accomplish something by filling that roll- make them feel important- than it will be enjoyable. Just like a healer in WoW or a Support player in League of Legends doesn\'t get the glory of getting the \"kills\", it is still an enjoyable roll because of the fact that the player feels important and needed. They feel like they help the overall mission or objective. They feel like without them, they would be missed. Engineering could have the roll of repairing as well as managing ships power distribution or whatever. It\'s not one game of \"repair this, repair that\". It\'s more like repair, distribute power, modify ships systems, etc. Tactical could be looking at the battle and doing things I outlined above, and let\'s face it that would be a lot of fun. Also, the pilot gets to fly the ship which is interactive. Any sort of gunner is always having fun shooting things. Repair can be boring if that\'s all it is, and if it is a mini game scenario than yes you are going to get tedious. Who wants to sit there and lock pick in Skyrim for hours? Nobody. We want to play StarMade and feel important.

It\'s hard to make a player feel important if they are increasing numbers but not seeing results. If they are increasing DPS in a system via a minigame but don\'t see the result than how do they get a sense of accomplishment? I think there should be rolls added that actually add depth, strategy, and also fun!