Space Chickens

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hello again. I've been thinking about the types of alien species that would live on the planets, specifically, the non-sentient (using the scifi meaning of sentience) creatures wandering around. I base most of my ideas on traits that are highly successful in nature evolution-wise, that have been around for millenia, and also what I think would just be cool. Here's my list of ideas and reasoning for each one:

-Space Chickens! As the first colonists set out to populate the Americas, so too did they set out to populate the stars. They brought with them animals that could serve a purpose, and chickens seemed one of the most logical domesticated animal they could thing of. A cow would never survive long terms without gravity to hold it in it's grazing patterns, but a chicken with wings... Oh man. They would thrive. As a result of their long terms, and their multiple generations of space flight, they have evolved slightly. With even shorter wings, and longer toes to grab onto things, even their eggs started to bounce instead of simply crack when dropped. Some of their caretakers even made chicken space suits for their chickens, and they became quite common... with a compartment to hold the eggs. They left groups of them wild on many planets they visited. These chickens became some of the most prevalent colonists in the universe, and are still kept as pets on many spaceships.

-Spiders! It is said that if spiders were the size of cats, they would quickly put humans on notice as the top predator on Earth. The only limitation they have? Gravity! Their exoskeletons couldn't handle it. Now it's reasonable to think in an infinite universe, spiders have grown into many infinite numbers of forms, including the sentient space-faring species of their world... But what if there were a few stowaways on one of the early colony ships? These spiders, moving from ship to ship, over time would have grown to enormous sizes, and become so efficient, even in the low and zero gravity environments of colonized space stations and moons, they are suddenly the size of cats or larger. Oh my.

-Tentacle monsters. Much like octopodes and their 10-tentacled squid cousins, these creatures would be the perfect predators in their environment. Intelligent and able to squeeze through tight spaces, using their tentacles for low-gravity locomotion, they could grab and squeeze the life out of their victims. In the gravity of planets and moons, they opt to stay underground where they can support themselves, and will reach outside through cracks and crevices to grab unsuspecting prey with their tentacles, pulling them under the ground to be consumed.

-Dinosaurs! C'mon, you granted our wish for Minecraft in space, now add some dino-behemoths to the surface of some planets!
    • Special request: Velociraptors. These super fast and super intelligent creatures will hunt you down if it perceives you as a food-source, or enemy. But if you are careful, you can reason with these guys, and even employ them as your protectors. They have prehensile fore-claws, so they can even be taught to wield weapons, although, they really don't need them.

-Leaches: These wouldn't be the blood-sucking leaches though, blood is not similar enough between the many space-faring species to be useful... plus those pesky space suits make it really difficult. No, these leaches float around like space debris with minimal thrusting capability, and when they get close enough to a space ship, they latch on and suck out your power. If you've been having power outages, lights going off, doors malfunctioning, weapons not firing... it's time to pull out your personal weapons and go for a space walk. You might find a few dozen of these slurping the sweet taste of fission reactor power right out of the navigation relay nodes.

- Space Whales. These have appeared in many forms in Science fiction, but the basic idea is that they can propel themselves through the void for long journeys, consuming the dark-matter particles and the deuterium and tritium let off of stars. These beasts have large pressurized inner cavities that some space-faring creatures have hitched rides in. Some have even been enslaved and used as warships.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    You had me at "space tentacle monster".

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'm telling you right now, space whales are confirmed. @Calbiri won't be able to see a final release without space whales :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    sooner or later, this game is going to have to pick up a full-time staff and push this into Full release. By then, things like this will be cakewalk.

The one thing I hope they don't do though is to try to limit the universe based on a small group's preconceived ideas of genre. That was Minecraft's downfall in my opinion. Instead of giving people better weapons, faster building tools, ways to save things, and movable blocks around which you could build vehicles, like boats and catapults, they pretty much stuck to the basics of basics. Now Minecraft is dead in the water until they come out with Minecraft 2 (right...?). They could have taken mine craft into the stars, and this game would be lost in the nothingness of what could have been.

Reaction score
    sooner or later, this game is going to have to pick up a full-time staff and push this into Full release. By then, things like this will be cakewalk.
    Exactly this. I'm not sure there is enough funding yet though.

Also a MAJOR shitstorm will happen when Space Whales are added. Calling it now.

As a shitstorm meteorologist I can tell you straight up that the shiticipation chance is 90% with a heavy chance of ragequit to follow, with many angry forum posts affecting large parts of the southern area of the forum.

Most affected by this storm (Called hurricane Ex-Lax) will be the 'realism crowd' areas with most areas reporting 'biological impossibility' and 'ruining the feel of the game' despite many reports to the contrary. Better pack an umbrella kids, it's gonna hit hard.

The one thing I hope they don't do though is to try to limit the universe based on a small group's preconceived ideas of genre. That was Minecraft's downfall in my opinion. Instead of giving people better weapons, faster building tools, ways to save things, and movable blocks around which you could build vehicles, like boats and catapults, they pretty much stuck to the basics of basics. Now Minecraft is dead in the water until they come out with Minecraft 2 (right...?). They could have taken mine craft into the stars, and this game would be lost in the nothingness of what could have been.
    Exactly this. IMO the thing what made MC MC was that you could do quite a lot of things with it, the potential of the game was what made it strong. Instead of adding even more creative potential the added small tidbits and pieces that took waaaay too long to program in. So eventually people were dissatisfied and bored with the game, leading to its demise. I doubt starmade will go there, but I do hope Schema tries to appeal to a rather large fanbase instead of pandering to whatever group screams the loudest (A common problem with early access games.)

Minecraft would have been better if they gave it to a competent development team. There, I said it. There was so much potential just squandered through lax holidays and long programming times, with bugs piled on top. This is why I like Starmade, Schema is clearly competent and listens to his fanbase but does not pander. Here's hoping the man continues to make good decisions, eh?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Please no spiders or tentacle monsters! I want the creatures to look kind of cute, but be very deadly at times. I'm already scared of spiders in minecraft, please don't add them to this game! :(

I do like space whales.
    Wait... How dare you not list laser shooting space squids!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    what about robotic space whales the cleaners of space. they are made by a al faction called space cleaners united. I would like cows that die in space. I would like more things flying around in space but I just can't see organic life forms floating in space alive unless im given a reasonable reason why they can.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Call the wales Borons and add evil terraformers from early human space expansions which now have a programming error and attack you.
    Then add a mysterious tentacle-alien race which build their ship out of (semi-)triangles and call them Xenon. no wait, X2-The-Treat had such a race!

Better call the wales "Space Sheppards" and the tentacle(spider)monsters "Spacenet Invaders" :D

Why did you not listed Space Rift Worms and ... Space Cats!!!

Reaction score
    what about robotic space whales the cleaners of space. they are made by a al faction called space cleaners united. I would like cows that die in space. I would like more things flying around in space but I just can't see organic life forms floating in space alive unless im given a reasonable reason why they can.
    Automated cleaning ships belonging to a scrapper faction would be cool. Imagine having to fight off a weak ship trying to steal your spoils post pirate fight! Or buying half price scrap off of them for factories, or having them give you recipes or...I'm thinking too hard for this...

@FunnyBunny14 I got attacked by a bunny in Minecraft, every time I see your posts I get PTSD triggers :( Bunnies are the real villains...

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Sorry FunnyBunny, but Spiders are a PERFECT alien creature. They would fit so well, and would give real threat in dark, cold ship corridors, on planet surfaces, in abandoned stations. Bring on the terror! I'm ready to squash some bugs with my rocket launcher!

Maybe for those of a sensitive nature, maybe the game launcher could have a "cuddly monster" mode which uses sheep and ostrich models instead of spiders and squids?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What? No squids in the cute and cuddly mode? Now I'm upset! Well, not if they look creepy, then I don't mind.
    I'm guessing that there will be folders for the creatures. If you don't like one, you could then simply delete it from your game files.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What? No squids in the cute and cuddly mode? Now I'm upset! Well, not if they look creepy, then I don't mind.
    I'm guessing that there will be folders for the creatures. If you don't like one, you could then simply delete it from your game files.
    Or replace with a new model and skin. I can imagine a whole cottage industry in the community centered around creating new creatures. But the first person to make a Care Bear or My Little Pony is gonna get a Laser blast to face!

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    DELETE only causes the game to re-download it Funny Bunny

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Really? Doesn't it ask gefore it downloads?
    @jayman38 : That was actually the first thing I thought of when I first heard of modular creatures. Oh, so many mods!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Randomly generated alien creatures to populate planets is planned. Genetic manipulation is also a future possibility. I'm hoping the planned random factions system could incorporate this, allowing for randomly generated INTELLIGENT alien races.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I hope they don't have retarded unexplained elephant seal noses.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I hope cows are effected by push effect I want to make cow catapults to distract people.

Reaction score
    I hope cows are effected by push effect I want to make cow catapults to distract people.
    I can see the youtube videos now...who needs rockets when you can fire COWS! Moooooooooo....You could even automate it with Logic! Anyone seen bench around here?

@jath Seems to be a thing in video games. They don't make anything scarier, only more retarded. If you want a good alien sound, well...