Space bombs

Reaction score
    We need a space bomb block. That shoots space bombs. The define charachteristic would be that it continues in the direction you dropped it. All it gets is the momentum of your ship, with no slowdown.

The tradeoff is that it makes a big boom. Making it possible for a squadron of small bombers to be a threat to capital ships.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    + shield hardeners.

Shield hardeners make you more vulnerable to your own weapon types, but less to all others. As a tradeoff, you can\'t use these other weapon types neither - or at least with less efficiency.

As small ships don\'t shield vs bombs but evade them, they don\'t need this protection. Big ships would more likely protect themselves vs long range weaponry and add more guns vs bombers.

Reaction score
    yeah its too bad that all the capitals move at the speed of lght during a fight, so this would be useless.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    yeah its too bad that all the capitals move at the speed of lght during a fight, so this would be useless.

then make every object with 10 times your size project a part of it\'s own speed as limitless-increase on smaller ships close to them.

5 times your size: effect is 0%. 10 times your size: effect is 100%. Your speed can get buffed this way to 200% at max.
    The maxEffectDistance is 2 times the Big one\'s dimension

Example:

\"Big\" flies at 100% in +x direction, has 7\'000 mass and is 20m wide, 25m tall, 140m long (500 blocks per x/y, 90 required for hull, so they should be common values)

\"Small\" has 1\'000 mass, flies 30% in +y direction and is 200m behind and 10m apart the Big one\'s x axis in the big one\'s orientation.

// Ignore docked, things with almost no thrust/mass ratio or stations for performance reasons.

massEffectFactor = (big.mass/small.mass -lowerLimit ) *upperLimit/100;

// (7000/1000 -5) * 0.1 = 0.2

if(massEffectFactor

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Space bombs... Why, haven\'t you heard that collision damage is the only damage type that ignores shields? Doesn\'t that give you wicked ideas with AI guided torpedoes, bomber-dropped munitions, or even large, multi-phase kinetic/explosive anti-capital missiles? Sure did for me.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Space bombs... Why, haven\'t you heard that collision damage is the only damage type that ignores shields? Doesn\'t that give you wicked ideas with AI guided torpedoes, bomber-dropped munitions, or even large, multi-phase kinetic/explosive anti-capital missiles? Sure did for me.

They are target-able. With core, the required 0-AMC weapon cpu, an AI module, 1 waste thruster (which adds almost nothing to thrust before adding a second) you already have 4 blocks.

• If you don\'t add shields, a Dis-Integrator will blow up instantly from a single hit.
    • AI stupidly flies directly (no circling) into a target, so you need a lot of shields and thrust to reach that in time.
    • Collisions only let Dis-Integrators explode, if they are exposed.
    • Collision damage is awful. Compare it to space engineers ones - they do almost no damage!
    • Dis-Integrators need to be stacked to do more damage. If you got enough, you need a lot of shields to survive, because evasion=0.

multi-phase kinetic/explosive anti-capital missiles?

How do you get an explosion to pull the missile into the target? I think it doesn\'t work currently. Not without killing your own ship :)

Maybe you need breakoff...

And we need a repair-yard, or most servers won\'t add collision damage=true in their settings.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I\'ve currently got a large AI guided torpedo with a couple hundred blocks of rock as a kinetic warhead, a casing for the core compartment, with disintegrators surrounding the core in a sphere and a single thruster group behind it all. The most expensive part is the disintegrator warhead surrounding the core, which you can replace with whatever else you want, shields or even more rock to keep things on budget. With the only blocks costing anything being the computer guidance provided by the 1-block pulsator, the ship core, and it\'s thrusters, cost no longer becomes a major issue. It\'s a very cheap way of making sure the enemy ship now has a big gaping hole in it and a lot less power/shield blocks, maybe even a missing computer or two.

I find that these are not only a good tool to bypass traditional capital ship defenses, but can also be used to ward off unwanted engagements, as most pilots that see a torpedo coming after them will try to get rid of it as quickly as possible, most likely moving away from it to give themselves time, letting you get some distance.

Hope I helped explain some of the strengths of torpedoes.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With the only blocks costing anything being the computer guidance provided by the 1-block pulsator the ship core, and it\'s thrusters

Wait, you don\'t mean a cpu+core+reactor+3thrusters+docking module ship with a docked 9x9x9 disintegrator-cube?

cost no longer becomes a major issue

Some rebalance in Dis-Integrators price?

Your post confused me a bit more than I was before :D

Reaction score
    I did make this once. In the old version though, without collision damage, so it didn\'t really do anything. The dis-integrators could safely explode in the hold without the bomber shields going down.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Disintegrators are laughably expensive compared to the reusability of missiles. The only reason I have them on my larger torpedoes is because \"what the heck, screw logic.\"

95% of the damage a torpedo does is it\'s thrusters putting constant pressure on the enemy ship, causing it and the torpedo to suffer constant collision damage until the enemy deals with it or retreats away from it. For a price-effective torpedo, leave out the disintegrators and use more cheap materials instead.

In addition, smaller torpedoes with more efficient thruster groups don\'t need their own power, as charging off of the mothership and the base 20,000 energy they bring with them can get them to the next star system if need be.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    95% of the damage a torpedo does is it\'s thrusters putting constant pressure on the enemy ship, causing it and the torpedo to suffer constant collision damage until the enemy deals with it or retreats away from it. For a price-effective torpedo, leave out the disintegrators and use more cheap materials instead.

LOL with collision damage... Yes, I might think a bit more about it.

I think you only need 1 reactor per 7 thrust, might not be that expensive to add a few.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I haven\'t combat tested my torpedoes against players, only AI. I\'ll probably refine the designs a bit more once they get cheewed up by players.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is the trade station a giant torpedo thing? :)

Could cheat with max AMC-block rules on RP servers ^^

Reaction score
    well untill they do or dont u have to be stuck either freefall dumb bombs.. OR try ur luck either a homemade missle and a pulseator(request that you tread carefully might back fire xd)
    so enjoy your ai kamikazies ill stick with my freefall disintegrater bombs the size of mini vans