Sound Scripting Idea...... Blocks

Reaction score
    I came up with an Idea for sound add ons. We've all been in a big ship wanting to hear the heavy drone of the engines, or hear computers beeping, or have custom laser sounds. What if a sound block can be created to activate a script that runs a .wav or .mp3 file off of the users pc? For example the file set up would be C:/programfiles/Star-made/mycustomsounds/Stardestroyerengine.wav I think this could be a good idea and a simple way so everyone can have their own sounds.

Reaction score
    or you have a block which generates the sound itself like synthesizers sequencers and stuff, it then could be loaded with soundblueprints so you can share your awesome soundwork

Reaction score
    Sorry to revive, but this is really good stuff and very necessary. Right..? Right!
    Let's pretend we have a sound block, which plays sound in a small area.

We can choose what sound should be played, volume, maybe radius, and if it should loop until deactivation.

I would totally have a sound-block in my bridge, saying "Welcome Captain" (in a woman digital voice, of course) linked to an activation block, that also turns on the lights.
    And the engine room!
    So many possibilities to give your ships and stations more personality.

I do not know if "sound blueprints" would be possible, but I'm all in if it is! :)

This is the way to go, to solve the sound problem this game has, in my opinion, at least.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Why not Display Block commands?

Displayblocks are pretty useless atm exept of noting something or showing power and shield status.
    Why not making it triggerable with logic? Activation block to display block connection.
    When the display block now gets a positive signal it should play a sound when written something like
    [playsound=mycustomsound.mp3]

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would be pleased to hear some basic info about my ship, like shield down, insufficient power, enemy ship spoted (scan result) etc.

It could use ogg format, its more java friendly.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What if a sound block can be created to activate a script that runs a .wav or .mp3 file off of the users pc?
    could work, but I'm not sure if java can read .mp3 without an mp3 codec plugin.
    It could use ogg format, its more java friendly.
    I agree with oog. mp3 is proprietary.

When the display block now gets a positive signal it should play a sound when written something like
    [playsound=mycustomsound.mp3]
    A speaker block? Then it needs a speaker texture!

I would be pleased to hear some basic info about my ship, like shield down, insufficient power, enemy ship spoted (scan result) etc.
    That would require more logic in other blocks as-well.
    I support this - then you could combine it with rails too (next stop, bridge, machine room, ... :D)

We've all been in a big ship wanting to hear the heavy drone of the engines, or hear computers beeping, or have custom laser sounds.
    You can already have custom lazer sounds, but just for all weapons at once. (replace the sound file in SM's data directory)

But computers beeping... would also require some distance-setting or you would have white noise+lag+sound-scratches.

Also louder sounds may hide quieter sounds to further reduce lag and annoyingness?