Sound files

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I've noticed some interesting sound files in StarMade directory, such as "0022_spaceship user - lightspeed space wind", and many, many more other unused sounds. Do we have some info on that, or is it just not-well-informed me? ;)

Reaction score
    • Arrrty Gold
    I have no idea, though I have been tweaking with it, replacing sounds with sound effects of my own. 0022_spaceship user i believe is an unused file, maybe for the planned warp drives or some such.

Reaction score
    How do you add music though??? I was looking into that but found no results in "how too..." I know where the sound folder is but what about adding music to it, do I need to make a new folder there or what??? I had been suggesting adding music for a little while, with no response or even acknowledgement as far as I can tell.
    I was having a serious star made/sleeping problem for a while... First it was fall asleep trying to build because of the lack of sound and the background noise as I was out of build mode... Then it was play music on windows media player in the background but that would sometimes cause serious lag even in sandbox mode... so any idea how to add the music to the file would be good...

Reaction score
    You don't. If a feature isn't there, it isn't there.
    I would like to say you are right but at the same time I am inclined to say your not because of some of the things I've seen/heard while watching others live streams or videos where they added a music file to the game. Now we all know that things running in the back ground can cause serious lag to the game... But if you add a music tracks of .ogg's or .wavs to the sound file it shouldn't really effect the game unless the tracks are too big... like hour or two long say...
    I've been running Windows Media Player in the background and after roughly four hours, there is a minor case of lag jitters... nothing too too serious but it is noticeable... at six and change the game tends to bog down a little bit, saving takes about a minute instead of instant and it's pretty much time to kill the music or reset the computer to clear the ram.
    But there is some work being done right now to possibly add music to the game so people are not falling asleep at the construction yard... Or worse, in the heat of battle...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like to say you are right but at the same time I am inclined to say your not because of some of the things I've seen/heard while watching others live streams or videos where they added a music file to the game. Now we all know that things running in the back ground can cause serious lag to the game... But if you add a music tracks of .ogg's or .wavs to the sound file it shouldn't really effect the game unless the tracks are too big... like hour or two long say...
    I've been running Windows Media Player in the background and after roughly four hours, there is a minor case of lag jitters... nothing too too serious but it is noticeable... at six and change the game tends to bog down a little bit, saving takes about a minute instead of instant and it's pretty much time to kill the music or reset the computer to clear the ram.
    But there is some work being done right now to possibly add music to the game so people are not falling asleep at the construction yard... Or worse, in the heat of battle...
    I'm sorry, but they just play music in the background... And most people who live stream starmade videos are playing on a very powerful server... So no, there is no way to add music to the game.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    all those sounds schine own the licenses to use in starmade. The reason they don't is their waiting for features to be more finalized before deciding what sounds to play where, so they can chose the best sound to fit the job.

Reaction score
    well to put it simple I was watching a live stream, a song sounded like it repeated, the admin typed in the chat area something and it brought up a playlist of tunes, it was then stated "nope, it's not repeated, it's merely a similar sounding tune..." he then typed another command and the song changed to the next track... What little I could see of the blurred chat window is a couple of .ogg's and other code. I would love to know how they did it but it's no big deal. I did see a thread where Schema was presented some music files and he is currently considering it, but its not anywhere near the top of the list because of possible problems it could cause. And to live stream a well populated server with a music player like Vlc or Media Player playing in the background would tax the streamer's computer and at one point their game did crash but they got it back up and running and got the music started back up... Idk... It's just what I observed... And I do know some are messing around with the sound files, not just to put in their own sounds but to add music files as well.
    After a few minutes of building in complete silence, other then the random placement sounds, puts a person to sleep. Some music would be nice but nothing like the Minecraft tunes... Talk about putting a person to sleep... LOL!!!

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    well to put it simple I was watching a live stream, a song sounded like it repeated, the admin typed in the chat area something and it brought up a playlist of tunes, it was then stated "nope, it's not repeated, it's merely a similar sounding tune..." he then typed another command and the song changed to the next track... What little I could see of the blurred chat window is a couple of .ogg's and other code. I would love to know how they did it but it's no big deal. I did see a thread where Schema was presented some music files and he is currently considering it, but its not anywhere near the top of the list because of possible problems it could cause. And to live stream a well populated server with a music player like Vlc or Media Player playing in the background would tax the streamer's computer and at one point their game did crash but they got it back up and running and got the music started back up... Idk... It's just what I observed... And I do know some are messing around with the sound files, not just to put in their own sounds but to add music files as well.
    After a few minutes of building in complete silence, other then the random placement sounds, puts a person to sleep. Some music would be nice but nothing like the Minecraft tunes... Talk about putting a person to sleep... LOL!!!
    That was likely a wrapper.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Oh, how the music of minecraft plays at the most annoying of times... You could be in the middle of a monster invasion and that stupid music you here while you're near water would still be playing.

Starmade music has to play at better times! We can't become another minecraft!

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Oh, how the music of minecraft plays at the most annoying of times... You could be in the middle of a monster invasion and that stupid music you here while you're near water would still be playing.

Starmade music has to play at better times! We can't become another minecraft!
    Dude, really? MUTE BUTTON. Here. SOLVED!