Something Different-A Trip to the Pod Races

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I'm not the best at building large ships. And I wondered What can i do with small ships so thought:

Whats everybodys favourite bit of the least favourite Trilogy is the podraces. They were kinda cool, and looked like a fun time. So what better than to try and build a track!

POD RACES

Hoping to make it for about 6 pod racers, but the track will only be wide enough for about 2 and a half to encourage bashing.

heres a cock pit view of my prototype pod racer

I thought the Glass wedge 1 block infront would look good as a windscreen, but im still tinkering with it, and wondering what to do with power, and wonder what class rules should apply to pod racers, to make it a fair ish race but sabotage ok.

Im thinking of making the Power supply be at the back so that if power drain beams are at the front, you can try and slow your oppoent down by draining their power.

Hopefull the pod race track will include hole avoiding, underground sections and im trying to think of a good way to start the race.

Reaction score
    Maybe you could set up powerdrain turrets, or even normal laser turrets as obstacles along the path. Another idea that might possibly work is setting up explosives in the ground and/or walls of the track, so if people are able to shoot them they might be able to damage am opponent.

I don\'t actually know how well either of those would work, probably not well, but I like what you\'re doing here.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I just popped a bit of explosives down, they make massive crators, good for terra forming, not great i dont think for traps.

All ideas welcome!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I had this idea the other day and started thinking of ideas but only just thought to check if someone had already beaten me to it. Well done.

The start of the track is looking good! Have you made any more progress?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Try to figure out an average for your racers (average mass and thrust with a couple small guns), and then make the rest of the lineup around with, adding and cuting back as balance dictates. Rather than try to give several weapons to any craft, specialize for different classes/playstyles. For instance, the fastest craft should be the most vulnerable, and probably have no real weapons. A well-armored racer should be slower. Getting the balance just right will be the trick, mostly where speed is involved. You need to make everything almost the same speed, or else the fastest craft will always be the best choice.

A couple suggestions:

1.) Average power-drainers should probably have more weapon blocks than average antimatter cannons. Guns should be relatively weak, because block destruction takes time to deal with. Drained power will recharge without permanent damage, so it\'s okay to make it a little bit more powerful.

2.) In most cases, don\'t put more than one type of weapon on a racer. Each one should be unique and specialized, so they should have a different loadout.

3.) Minimal shields. If there are going to be any missles involved, you probably want a little bit of shielding to prevent them from being an instant kill. Find a balance where the first missle or two won\'t destroy anything, bit will cause enough damage that the next one might be a complete kill.

Trap Idea: Plexdoors make a toggle-able obstacle that can be activated with the docking beam. Some can be closed by default like a shortcut that someone can open, others might be open until someone shuts them in an opponent\'s face. With the latest update, you can faction-lock the map and then make only a single Plexdoor accessible to the racers. For instance, you can have a single spot in the wall marked by a light that someone can shoot with their docking beam. That spot trails through the ground to door that is toggled on or off. Keep the door itself faction-locked, but make the marked spot on the wall accessible to everyone with the new permission block.