Some thoughts on what I think is currently most important

Reaction score
    So, I've been with the game for a while, but only lurked in the forums. I've observed the discussions and now would like to talk about what I personally think is most important to address in future updates.

A balanced economy
    ...not. I know lots of people want to see that one soon, but I think it's both unproductive and not really feasible right now. I mention this since I often see the "the Titans should be balanced by the economy". No, they should not. At least not only by the economy. I agree that a Titan should be very powerful for a very high price, but "whoever has the most money can build the most Titans can destroy the most Titans, and whoever is bankrupt first loses" isn't a balanced system.

Now on to what I really believe should be changed soon:

Movement
    I saw that one in a thread here about shields being overpowered, and for some reason I still don't understand everyone acted like it was completely unrelated and wouldn't help at all. It wasn't, in my opinion. I'm not saying we shouldn't change shields, and I think the current setup of having two blocks instead of one for storage and regen is a great starting point, but I can wholeheartedly agree to the general idea that we can't really talk about balancing ships, especially balancing survivability of ships, while the moveset only allows for combat to be on the level of "one ship goes forward, one backward, both hold LMB". So yes, we need some sort of evasion, and no, I don't think that this should only be the case for fighters. So for example, if we have a Titan with a really big and powerful gun, and a frigate is dumb enough to run in front of it, it should easily be killed. But if it can avoid the beam because the Titan moves very slowly, it can survive. Same for ships closer in size to one another. I find it very obvious that a 100m ship should be able to avoid some weapons of a 800m ship. Those that it can't avoid (tracking missiles, rapid fire, etc.) it should be able to hold off for a good while with it's shields.
    So yes, I think the most important part of combat balancing right now is somehow changing movement so that piloting matters, instead of just balancing shields and weapons just because in the current system, one constantly hits the other anyway.
    Which brings me to the next two points:

Big weapons vs. small weapons
    I agree that ship combat should be slow. It should be about planning and using the tactics and weapons a situation demands. I DO think though that ships shouldn't be limited to using small weapons to achieve that. There should really be this giant, powerful death laser your ship can use and it should be so powerful that it can easily tear your enemy to shreds; it only has to be hard to do so in some other way than absolute damage numbers (see, for example, evasion)

Big ships vs. small ships
    I don't think a small ship should kill a bigger ship. At least not the Titan vs. Fighter scenario people commonly mean by that. I remember a thread about that problem where the author said that everyone wants to feel like the hero, which means they'll use the most powerful ship - I think that applies here as well, people want to feel like a hero, destroying the Titan all by themselves, but I don't think that's good balance. Not even if only a really good Fighter pilot can shoot a really dumb (or even afk) Titan pilot. They just shouldn't. The problem here is that if a good fighter pilot can kill a dumb Titan pilot, then a few good Fighter pilots can just roll over a good Titan pilot, which simply shouldn't happen. I like the "Luke attacking the Death Star" scenario as much as the next guy, but the point here is that this is a really unique achievement happening... well, two times... while for the mechanics of a multiplayer game it would mean that this somehow has to ALWAYS happen. Smaller ships have to get more useful, and for example a 500m ship should be able to kill a 700m one, but not a fighter. It's just wrong.

Transport/Travel
    I like the general idea of what was laid out by the devs, but the execution - as we see it in the Dev build as well - not really good.
    My general thoughts:
    - There should be exploration, we shouldn't just jump to whatever sector we like.
    - There should be a certain sense of "infrastructure", see the former, so that we have a sort of "frontier" with people exploring, mining and salvaging and the "inner realm" where factions settle and fight. (and probably a innermost, safe circle for newcomers)
    - You shouldn't have to sacrifice a huge part of your ships for jump drives.
    How to do that?
    Jump drives should only need a computer, no blocks. They should consume power, and lots of it. Also, fighters should only jump a few sectors, bigger ships more. Essentially, the bigger the mass, the bigger the power consumption, the farther the reach, BUT no blocks needed to jump.
    Gates should be completely changed, while the idea of having those rings is cool, it's just not viable ingame. I propose that we get gates and Beacons. What do they do?
    Gates: Ships can travel from and to them. They are more alike to the Mass relays in Mass Effect, so they don't need the ring; but they need more blocks the more mass they want to transport.
    Beacons: You can only travel TO Beacons, but not from them. Beacons can be set up with a simple usable item you can buy from a shop, and appear as a premade structure (the owner can modify it, but I want to discourage ugly few-block-designs due to laziness). Whoever places the Beacon can name the "system". This encourages people to explore and build a infrastructure for other ships to come later.
    "Systems" are newly introduced. To disencourage, people from placing a Beacon in every sector (thereby making traveling meaningless again and not actually "channeling" the flow of where ships move to), a certain distance has to be held from another Beacon. All the sectors in half of that distance then belong to that "system" (the other half obviously to the system of the other sector). Admins should be able to decide whether Beacons are public or can be owned by factions. That would bring in another interesting part to faction warfare, trying to own systems. (The same restriction for distances would be made for Gates, it would just be a greater distance.) From a gate, you can travel to ANY beacon. Or at least a very, very big radius so that you might for example, when traveling from one end of the known galaxy to another hop to two others gates on the way first. (Also, it should somehow be discouraged to lay out a simple grid relay; it should be more akin to branches growing from the center of the universe.)
    Also, we need a star map with the sectors and systems displayed, on which we can then travel.
    The jump drive should also work with that map, and you should only be able to jump to known sectors (because calculating safe paths yadda yadda technobabble). Sectors with Beacons are automatically known.

To summarize, travel at the "edges" of the known galaxy should be slow and more or less just be done the normal way, with thrusters and overdrive, while the "inner realms" can be quickly traversed through a network of Beacons and gates or by jumpdrives.

The hyperdrive, as currently explained to us, seems completely useless. I'd cut it out.

Cloaking/Jamming
    I really wonder why nothing has be done about that yet. These are my thoughts on the two:
    - We shouldn't need both for the intended effect.
    - EVERY ship should be able to completely cloak and jam AND do so permanently. Yes, you read that right.
    - Cloaked ships should be vulnerable while cloaked and immediately after being uncloaked.
    - While all ships should be able to cloak, smaller ships should be faster to be battle ready again.
    - There should still be advantages for ships explicitly built for Stealth warfare.

Why do I think this? My most controversial point will probably be to cloak huge ships. I just think that in a battle, it'd be a really epic feeling when there is this fleet, trying to attack another, seeing their slight advantage over them, and suddenly this huge Titan reveals itself and the opposing pilots just think "oh shit" before being blasted into bits. I really, really like this idea of being able to make ambushes with a ship that can really pack a punch instead of just having small reconnaissance fighters.

What do I propose? Jamming and Cloaking get two completely separate purposes. Cloaking does what it does now plus what jamming does now, thereby hiding the complete ship, no matter the size; BUT it also cripples it.
    Jamming does what it does now, thereby essentially making it immune to AI-driven-turrets (if we can later add crew to turrets, those would still be able to hit them), and maybe seeking missiles; BUT it can't be permanent.

What does cloaking do to a ship exactly? I think it should be like this:
    - you're unable to fire weapons; if you do you get uncloaked; you can only use the defensive effect of stop
    - stored power is lowered to x percent; stored shields are lowered to x percent. X increases with size, so that a fighter might have nearly full shields, while a Titan may run at 10% shields.
    - shield regeneration is deactivated; power regeneration is deactivated (or rather, reduced to the current thruster consumption, so you can essentially still fly around, but not save power)
    - you can't use gates or the jump drive
    - when uncloaking, those effects disappear (but you still have to fill the tanks again)

So essentially, you can be clocked all the time, and you can travel while doing so, but if you uncloak, you're vulnerable for a bit of time, and even worse, when you're forcefully uncloaked. If you get hit three times, you get uncloaked. Also, shield regen delay kicks in normally. Essentially, if your cloaked Titan gets spotted and hit by another Titan, you have no chance to win.
    In general, normal cloaking would be much more valuable for Fighters, which can quickly jump in and out of it without losing much, while for a Titan it might be useless in a fight even to escape since it can't escape quickly enough to not get uncloaked before; and would loose massive amounts of shields and power if trying to cloak and surprise his opponent in an early stage of the fight.

Now what for dedicated stealth ships? They can install a second computer, with stealth blocks linked to it, require count increasing with mass.
    Those would lend the following effects:
    - firing while cloaked, and using all effects
    - power- and shield-reduction lowered
    - you can jump and use gates while cloaked, but only at a maximum at 50% of normal range
    - spotting distance reduced to down to 50%
    - Immunity to long range scanners

Spotting distance? Long Range scanners? Yes, those are new methods for ships to spot cloaked ships.
    Spotting distance: If one approaches a cloaked ship, at a certain distance it'll automatically appear to the approaching ship (but not uncloak to everyone else). That distance is greater the bigger the ship is, so for a Titan it might be 100meters.
    Long range scanners are computers one can install in their ship. They'll show THAT there is a ship, on the minimap, but not how big, and not show it's core signature. When getting near it three times it's spotting distance, the core signature appears.

The pilot of the cloaked ship probably should get a blinking alarm when getting spotted.

Ship-Core/Docking
    I honestly don't understand why we're still sticking to this idiotic core system as it is now. The most annoying part is probably the whole one hit to the core, the whole ship is dead mechanic, but luckily the HP system is already planned.
    There are two others horribly annoying aspects though:
    - The ship core shouldn't be from where you pilot. We need a dedicated piloting seat from where to enter Flight mode
    - The ship core shouldn't determine where to dock. It's dumb to have to build both you docking system and your ship according to the placement of the core. We should be able to determine "Here's the airlock where the ship docks, here's the point on the ship that shall dock to the airlock". That would also make it possible to dock the ship sideways instead of always with the bottom of the ship to the docking station.

I think those are currently the most important parts to address. Cloaking and movement because of how they will have to be done before deeper combat balance can be established; travel because it'll influence how to build the universe, faction warfare and the economy; ship-cores and docking because of how they influence ship design in the long term.

There are other aspects of course that I think need to be addressed. For example, the problem of detailed interiors reducing efficiency could be solved if we could designate "rooms", like for example in Dwarf Fortress or Prison Architect, that also raise effectiveness (e.g. a weapons room for better weapon efficiency, an engine room for a slight power boost, a core room as a requirement, a bridge as a requirement, etc.) And/or give bonuses for a certain percentage of the ship being decor, hull and air in general.
    Or the whole "turrets sharing shields or turrets not sharing shields"-thing: I'd propose giving the turrets shield points from their carrier equivalent to half their block count (so, as if half the blocks were shield capacitors), and regeneration equivalent to the same, but they drain both from the main ship and regen is delayed both when the main ship and/or the turret get hit.
    Armor-efficiency and survivability in general (HP system). The economy, faction warfare, etc., but I think those can wait, while the above mentioned are more important right now.

Opinions?

Last edited:
    Reactions: HerrColonel
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    why did I read that. I like the way cloaking and jamming is now, it uses a lot of power, when you fire at a ship you become uncloaked. The problem with cloaking and jamming is there is no way to find the ship, you could make a light show with power drain beams and use that as your defence.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Too long, didn't read.

Please highlight the parts which you really want to have
    The economy, faction warfare, etc., but I think those can wait, while the above mentioned are more important right now.
    Why do you write it together with everything else?

Reaction score
    Well, okay, the tl;dr-version:
    Better movement to bring more strategy into combat. Jump drives with just a computer instead of additional blocks. Stargates that are not limited by size, but by mass. One-way beacons that you can only travel to from a stargate, but not the other way round. A star map. Permanent, total cloak for everyone at the price of crippling your ship and providing countermeasures for discovering cloaked ships. Boosts for dedicated Stealth ships. Making the ship-core a true core and providing separate blocks for piloting. A docking-receptor block, that the docking station block attaches to.

Reactions: NeonSturm

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    star-map = "p" .... not THAT hard to figure out either. (hint "c" is important)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well, okay, the tl;dr-version:
    Better movement to bring more strategy into combat. Jump drives with just a computer instead of additional blocks. Stargates that are not limited by size, but by mass. One-way beacons that you can only travel to from a stargate, but not the other way round. A star map. Permanent, total cloak for everyone at the price of crippling your ship and providing countermeasures for discovering cloaked ships. Boosts for dedicated Stealth ships. Making the ship-core a true core and providing separate blocks for piloting. A docking-receptor block, that the docking station block attaches to.
    Green: like
    Red: dislike
    White: I think we have that already
    Orange: Dunno if I should like or dislike.

As of latest dev I tried, Star gates require massive amounts of power-storage dependent on mass, greatly outnumbering the number of gate modules for a huge (ugly, but cheap to decorate with terrain-blocks) gate.
    The one-way StarGate is the same as a Stargate that connects to a 4-module 1 computer gate.

Reactions: Fiddlejam
    Reaction score
    One thing here:
    If we're actually going to be realistic then I suggest the removal of left click as a fire option (seriously a mac cannon firing 45 degrees off to port?) and the addition of fire spread for weapons like machine guns and auto-fire weapons.

Reaction score
    star-map = "p" .... not THAT hard to figure out either. (hint "c" is important)
    I was aware of that one, so let me reword it: A new Star Map that fits the system I talked about better.
    Green: like
    Red: dislike
    White: I think we have that already
    Orange: Dunno if I should like or dislike.
    Stargates: By mass, not size, I meant eliminating the need to build a ring to fit the ship through.
    For the one way Stargate, as you can see in my original post above, it was meant to be a easy to set up system for exploration. Essentially, right now, you don't really have a reason to build such a one way Stargate. The system with the special Beacons that you can only travel to, but not from, and with zones where you can't place beacons/Gates around them are essentially meant to keep people from just setting up a full-sized Stargate in every sector. It's essentially a method to control the way people will set up infrastructure, so that we have many of those beacons, and a few gate hubs inbetween.

Jump drives for everyone: As I laid out in another thread, I believe that we shouldn't restrict "utility" parts of the ship through block count, only "power"-parts.
    So power would be energy, weapon power, shield power, effects, etc. You have a certain limited space on your ship and try to balance which distribution of blocks fits the thing best.
    Meanwhile, I think when we have exploration and economy in the game, everyone will simply NEED a jump drive. (or we'd have to allow lots and lots of Stargates, which I consider to disruptive to establishing a "flow" of ship travel) In other words, if there's no one who doesn't have jumpdrives, why try to balance the people who do have them against those non-existing who don't have them?
    See, I think it's different with, let's say, a effect module. You can place those, or you can decide not to and have space you can use for something else instead. But when everyone has a jump drive, and has to have a jump drive, everyone uses that space.
    Maybe an example to illustrate what I mean: Take an RPG. We implement a debuff to everyone wearing armor and weapons, because we want to balance them against those who don't. Point is, everyone will wear armor and weapons. So there's no real reason for the debuff.

For the cloaking, I'm still thinking on how to do that. My biggest concern is how currently, stealth ships look like shit and aren't as useful as they should be. I'm still thinking whether we should truly allow EVERY ship to cloak with just a computer. I generally think that every KIND of ship should be able to cloak - and for a long time, if not permanently - no matter whether Titan, Frigate or Fighter (just, as laid out above, with bigger penalties the bigger the ship gets). The question is whether every SETUP of ship should be able to do so. As said, every ship should jump-drive, since it's utility, but stealth is evidently more than that.
    I would still like to see fully dedicated stealth ships and such that kind of have a "beginners stealth kit". And that those would need at least a bit of additional stealth blocks, so that we essentially have three kinds of ships: The fully dedicated Stealth ships, Ships with just enough stealth blocks for the basic properties laid out above, and ships completely unable of stealth.

The system of having "capital ship points" as laid out by the Devs could come into play, just not with the whole debuffing your speed to zero thing. More like "We have a limited amount of additional systems we can introduce". Think of FTL (the game), where not all ships have enough rooms for all subsystems. So that could work the same. Install a stealth computer, or use the "point" for another system.
    I actually think such a system, probably with upgrade options would be really easy to do and balance. All the "power"-parts are still regulated by block count and space, subsystems like stealth, jump drive, and other systems that might get introduced in the future are regulated by those "attachment points".

Reaction score
    I personally thing cloaking should have an animation (maybe 2~6 seconds depending on ship size-- maybe a block that changes that value) and an auto-uncloak if you get shot. That makes going invisible in the middle of a battle harder.
    And maybe like in EVE you can't fire a couple of seconds after uncloak-- again, something that may be controlled with a block.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I personally thing cloaking should have an animation (maybe 2~6 seconds depending on ship size-- maybe a block that changes that value) and an auto-uncloak if you get shot. That makes going invisible in the middle of a battle harder.
    And maybe like in EVE you can't fire a couple of seconds after uncloak-- again, something that may be controlled with a block.
    Please only by config options and not per default.

Probably we should have a no-escape default settings pack and a hit-n-run settings pack with so many different settings everywhere :D
    But we can simply do that ourself with the programs diff&patch and a simple folder with diff files and apply.sh or apply.bat for Linux + Windows.

Reaction score
    I've suggested auto-uncloak on getting hit in my system as well, just after three instead of one hit. Essentially, when you hit the shield, you still see the animation of that (just without the ship uncloaking), so at least you know you hit "something". Then after the third hit, it uncloaks completely.
    I just think it gives a better feel to the experience than someone just randomly firing into space in hope of uncloaking a ship.
    Instead, it'd be, you shoot, you see something getting hit, you don't know what yet, so you shoot two more times and suddenly this giant, hidden Titan appears and you can think "oh fuck". Then it destroys you.

Concerning cloaking animation: It would probably be useful for bigger ships, but those probably get hit to often to cloak in fights anyway (see my explanations above). And for Fighters, they would heavily nerf the benefits of cloaking during fights.
    My thoughts about cloaking are essentially:
    Fighters can should easily go in and out of cloak without losing much.
    Bigger ships should lose more and might not be able to escape a fight by cloaking at all.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've suggested auto-uncloak on getting hit in my system as well, just after three instead of one hit.
    Makes no difference. I would install anti-cloak scatter-guns which do not do much damage (thus cost few power) but have many cannon-missile(shotgun) arrays per cpu.

It would make a difference if you de-cloak when your shield drops by x% over a given time, of if the enemy can see the hit block for some time (if you have no shields left)

Reaction score
    It would make a difference if you de-cloak when your shield drops by x% over a given time, of if the enemy can see the hit block for some time (if you have no shields left)
    But since we allow Titans to cloak, that would mean they could stay cloaked despite being hit for a rather long time.

I mean, at the end it's more or less a matter of how it "feels" and maybe how easily a a fighter can cloak while being shot by turrets. Gameplaywise it probably wouldn't be that relevant for anything greater than that. So it's mostly the feel of not just "shoot, whoops, ship appears", but more along the line of "There's this feeling that 'something' is there, but you don't know what yet."

Reaction score
    "Systems" are newly introduced. To disencourage, people from placing a Beacon in every sector (thereby making traveling meaningless again and not actually "channeling" the flow of where ships move to), a certain distance has to be held from another Beacon. All the sectors in half of that distance then belong to that "system" (the other half obviously to the system of the other sector).
    Star Systems already exist, as well as "Void Systems" for areas outside a star system. I think they are 16x16x16 sectors in size, not sure on that one though.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    0..1 %16 = 0..1 = void
    2..14 %16 = 2..14 = star
    15..17 %16 = 15,0,1 = void

Reaction score
    0..1 %16 = 0..1 = void
    2..14 %16 = 2..14 = star
    15..17 %16 = 15,0,1 = void
    Not quite sure what all that means. Modules 16 result of sector number = 0,1, & 15 are void, the rest are star? For which co-ordinate positions?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Not quite sure what all that means. Modules 16 result of sector number = 0,1, & 15 are void, the rest are star? For which co-ordinate positions?
    Every system containing a 0, 1 or 15 in x, y or z or anything modulus 16 which results in 0, 1 or 15 in x, y or is a void system.

324, 436, 273 %16 = 4, 4, 1 = void system (because of the 1)