Some suggestions for the shield problem

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    As of the most recent dev build, shields now have a radius. Anything outside that area isn't covered at all.
    At first, I hated this idea, but after thinking about it for some time, I realized it could be good if modified.

First, instead of having areas where there are no shields at all, have a system where shields have an effectivity radius, meaning the shields would take different amounts of damage depending on where they are shot. For example, if I shot at an area of a ship that doesn't have as much shielding as some of the more important systems do, the shields would take more damage.

Second, a way to focus shields. If I was starting to take a lot of damage on my left side, I would be able to redirect shielding to there. Basically, it would be some kinda interface where I could decide where I want most of my shielding, and could have presets for different setups corresponding to different combat situations depending on the enemy. You could select certain areas to focus more shielding, and the more areas you selected, the more it would take from a shield balance percentage. This percentage would act as a sort of tool that would let you know if your shields are spread too thin over too large an area. Again, all areas of a ship would be essentially covered, but depending on where it is shot, a weapon might be more or less effective. This would encourage players to find weak points in ships.

Third, nerf the hell out of weapons. With the current shield system in the dev build, if I shot a really powerful weapon at an unshielded portion of a ship, it would overheat it, regardless of how powerful it's shielded sections are. This would be a good idea ESPECIALLY given the current reactor mechanics, as there is no capacity, meaning if I build a bunch of mega weapons on a ship with low power, they would still work, as I could switch between them to negate the whole recharge problem.

Ideally, large ship battles should have massive warships firing at each other being supported by smaller frigates and fighters. My suggestion would make bombers actually useful (if there was some kinda feature to tell ai drones WHERE to fire at on a ship), as you could send a couple out to attack the weak point's in an enemy's shields. Right now, most experienced players can one shot each other, and so it becomes a contest of who can shoot who first. If weapons are nerfed, and a few extra ai features are added, the entire crappy combat problem would be solved.

If you can think of any other good ideas for this, let me know and I'll add em to this post.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    wait wat, have i missed some news update?? you have any official info on this new shield system apart from the dev build?

Non

Reaction score
    First, instead of having areas where there are no shields at all, have a system where shields have an effectivity radius, meaning the shields would take different amounts of damage depending on where they are shot. For example, if I shot at an area of a ship that doesn't have as much shielding as some of the more important systems do, the shields would take more damage.

Second, a way to focus shields. If I was starting to take a lot of damage on my left side, I would be able to redirect shielding to there. Basically, it would be some kinda interface where I could decide where I want most of my shielding, and could have presets for different setups corresponding to different combat situations depending on the enemy. You could select certain areas to focus more shielding, and the more areas you selected, the more it would take from a shield balance percentage. This percentage would act as a sort of tool that would let you know if your shields are spread too thin over too large an area. Again, all areas of a ship would be essentially covered, but depending on where it is shot, a weapon might be more or less effective. This would encourage players to find weak points in ships.
    I like this, not a ton, but its better than both current system and the stupid new system.
    Third, nerf the hell out of weapons. With the current shield system in the dev build, if I shot a really powerful weapon at an unshielded portion of a ship, it would overheat it, regardless of how powerful it's shielded sections are. This would be a good idea ESPECIALLY given the current reactor mechanics, as there is no capacity, meaning if I build a bunch of mega weapons on a ship with low power, they would still work, as I could switch between them to negate the whole recharge problem.
    Don't nerf weapons, strengthen shields and reintroduce capacity or some method of balancing for what capacity did. Just nerfing weapons makes armor and hull harder to break for smaller ships, which I don't feel is a good idea, while not improving what armor does for larger ships. What you want to change is large ship battles, but a weapon nerf will probably affect small ships the most.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    wait wat, have i missed some news update?? you have any official info on this new shield system apart from the dev build?
    Dev-Thread: New Shielding System in devlopment

The system is still in heavy development, and according to some things I've heard there may be massive changes, but this thread explains how it works so far.

This sounds... rather backwards, honestly. Think about it. Hitting someone near the edge of their shielding will do more damage to the shield per point of raw damage? o_O

A somewhat more sensible way to do what you're roughly getting at would be to have shields only absorb a certain percentage of damage beyond a certain radius away from the shield generator or hypothetical new projector block. The remaining damage would be passed on to AHP (if applicable) and then block HP as normal.

Last edited:
    Reactions: aceface

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    The remaining damage would be passed on to AHP (if applicable) and then block HP as normal.
    This would be fantastic. Instead of shields tanking all the damage, shields couldn't be "taken down" by an enemy ship, but would only negate 95% of the damage.

Don't nerf weapons, strengthen shields and reintroduce capacity or some method of balancing for what capacity did. Just nerfing weapons makes armor and hull harder to break for smaller ships, which I don't feel is a good idea, while not improving what armor does for larger ships. What you want to change is large ship battles, but a weapon nerf will probably affect small ships the most.
    This is true, thank you for pointing this out.

Ideally, a titan would have much difficulty killing another titan without any support. A proper battle would involve fighters protecting bombers which would do bombing runs on an enemy capital's weak point. Some way to organize fleets in formations with specific roles would be nice for this. For example, I could have a drone fleet where the fighters would protect the bombers, and the bombers would attack an enemy's specified weak point. This would also pave the way for future updates adding more ai features and crew.

Reaction score
    Problem? What problem? The new shields system looks great.

TheDerpGamerX

Lord of Lawnmowers
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Please tell me you are being sarcastic. And if you aren't you didn't read the thread.
    The problem with this system is that if I were to shoot an unshielded section of a ship with a decent titan weapon, it would instantly overheat the ship, making shields completely useless.

Granted, that is already the case with current shields. Schine needs to buff shields or nerf weapons. They are too strong and make for less of a titan fight and more of a 3 second lagfest.

Non

Reaction score
    Honestly, tell me what it is you do in this game, it might help us better address why this shield system sucks in a way that is more applicable to you.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Please tell me you are being sarcastic. And if you aren't you didn't read the thread.
    The problem with this system is that if I were to shoot an unshielded section of a ship with a decent titan weapon, it would instantly overheat the ship, making shields completely useless.
    If your reactor, stabilizers, and chambers are in an 'unshielded area', gods help you. "DerpGamer" would be an understatement.

Remember: SHP is going to be removed, except for reactor-related blocks.

Reaction score

Granted, that is already the case with current shields. Schine needs to buff shields or nerf weapons. They are too strong and make for less of a titan fight and more of a 3 second lagfest.
    If you're leaving sections unshielded your ship deserves to be vulnerable.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    With the current shield system in the dev build, if I shot a really powerful weapon at an unshielded portion of a ship, it would overheat it, regardless of how powerful it's shielded sections are.
    I refit a heavy fighter in the latest build. Before, it took a two or three volleys from it's missile launchers to take itself out. In the new build I more than quadrupled the shields(complete coverage) and increased the size of each missile tube(8 tubes), now it can one shot itself with less than half its missiles. I'd assume the same holds true for larger ships. You're right, something has to give or it will be a "who shoots first wins" contest.

Reaction score
    I refit a heavy fighter in the latest build. Before, it took a two or three volleys from it's missile launchers to take itself out. In the new build I more than quadrupled the shields(complete coverage) and increased the size of each missile tube(8 tubes), now it can one shot itself with less than half its missiles. I'd assume the same holds true for larger ships. You're right, something has to give or it will be a "who shoots first wins" contest.
    i don't know for sure but i read somwhere in the forum that with the power update they changed weapon power consumption and damage per block... i think it was 3 times the former damage...

so if you made the weapons wich were probably already 3 times stronger than befor even stronger its no wonder it one hit itself ;-)

Reaction score
    It seems like the new shield system will make it a lot easier to damage a ship.
    They really need to add a proper way of repairing ships first. It's a pain in the ass to have to scrap a ship and rebuild every time it takes some damage.

Reaction score
    It seems like the new shield system will make it a lot easier to damage a ship.
    They really need to add a proper way of repairing ships first. It's a pain in the ass to have to scrap a ship and rebuild every time it takes some damage.
    Build a shipyard... but yea ther should be some public stations with shipyards to use or maybe shops could have shipyards...
    the ships original state could be stored in the core every time you leave build mode so you could repair a ship without bluepring...
    but thats litterally a point for another suggestion.