Some Server questions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hellow everybody!

Me and my romate just recenlty started playing, Rightnow he currently is hosting our server on his pc... However we are lagging it to hell.

I am currently thinking about renting a server for us and all of our friends to play on and was wondering who are reliable and trusted server host?

Let me know what you all think, I have been shopping around and not sure who to go with.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    PingPerfect hosts infinite havoc, my public starmade server. They are reliable and have the best support team ever, you can genuinely sit down and have a conversation with them. The are low cost and have server locations all over the world. They are the only hosts that I recommend.

PingPerfect.com

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you want the best performance, always go with some place that sells dedicated servers or VPSs. Shard hosting companies are just over priced and dont give you what you pay for in terms of resources.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Or find a good host who isn\'t a scum bag. In the long run, you can end up paying twice as much for a vps/vds as they don\'t know what you\'re doing with it, get no support if you don\'t understand what is wrong with the game itself as they don\'t support it, and for windows you\'re usually left to buy the £200 license key

Reaction score
    Dedicated servers are more expensive because you are basically reserving an entire physical computer. This is really only necessary for people that need room for large communities of people, otherwise you are wasting hardware power and money.

Shared hosting is literally just virtual machines on a single server hardware platform which makes better use of the hardware. Because you are only renting a portion of a physical server, you aren\'t paying the premiums you would be if renting a whole server. Its like, why pay for a whole apartment building when you only want 1 apartment?

Further, for simple game hosting, again, unless you have to support a whole community, a group of friends will never no the difference between a virtual server vs a dedicated server. The only thing that might be noticable is your interations with the support people, which granted could make or break an experience with any company.

Reaction score
    Actually all our game servers run off our own dedi boxes not \"VPS\" (Virtual Private Servers) and they are all monitored constantly to ensure that the servers arnt being overloaded.

Shared Hosting = What most GPS\'s do - brings the price down for customers. However this can be configured to your excacting standards, you could theoretically rent out the whole dedi with a big enough gameserver.

VPS = A share of the dedi\'s resources that you can access and do what you like on, other VPS\'s can burst into what your not using if the server is not managed effectivly

VDS = A share of the dedi\'s resources that you can access and do what you like on, resources cannot be used by anything other than your VDS (What we sell)

Dedi = Physical box that you host services on, most expensive but will have many more resources than any of the others.

Its important to note that any of the methods above will be suitable for a gameserver although bigger communities may indeed want their own dedi/vps as they can use it for other things as well. There is absolutly nothing wrong with using shared hosting for any size of server so long as the company your hosting it with are responsible and know what they are doing, which if therimmer96\'s comments are anything to go by it looks like we do which is nice :)

Hope thats been informative and useful

James - Pingperfect Technical Director