Some New Player questions

Reaction score
    I apologize if these questions have appeared before, but I havent seen them.

1. How do you calculate "DPS" of a weapon?

2. If I have say a 50 module cannon and want to increase its power, I have no idea how to figure out beforehand if it is better to add 50 more cannon units, or an overdrive effect with 50 overdrive modules.

3. "Piercing" seems similiar to "punch-thru", except punch thru completely destroys the blocks it hits first, while piercing spreads its damage through the blocks and may not actually destroy them. Right? Is there a formula for calculating how much piercing damage you get per block, and over how many blocks? And what is the intent of this sort of weapon?

4. I have looked for descriptions of how weapons combine, and it seems its all outdated. What is the most current place to get a description of what happens when you combine weapons with various supports?

5. Is the purpose of power tanks to store extra power for something like damage pulse? Is there any other use?

6. If I want more shielding, how can I calculate if it is better to add more shields, or add a passive ion effect?

Thanks in advance for any answers. I have had this game a few weeks now, and its by far the best $3 I ever spent on a game! Frankly beats any $50 game I can think of.

Reaction score
    1. This info is displayed in the structure tab (although not always accurate, I believe), and maybe in the weapons tab after selecting the respective computer.
    2. Effect modules count as weapon modules.
    3. Don't ask—I recently was told by Calbiri that the piercing effect never worked as intended, and the punch-through effect was changed recently.
    4. http://star-made.org/news/patch-day-starmade-0-15
    5. Nope, they only increase your maximum power. You will need that when building the weapons for a medium sized ship.
    6. Well, the Ion effect consumes power, the shield capacitors do not. The ion effect is supposed to reduce shield damage by the specified number of %. I don't know how much power ion consumes, but shields take 10 times their idle power when recharging.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    What happened to punch-through? I never use it, so I don't know what happened to it. Would you care to elaborate on that? Please?

Reaction score
    What happened to punch-through? I never use it, so I don't know what happened to it. Would you care to elaborate on that? Please?
    Armor calculations have changed—I don't fully understand how, because I didn't really have the time to play since then. Somehow every hit block's armor will additionally reduce damage, greatly reducing the overall length of the hole drilled.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Punch through seems to spread the damage out more. I have no idea what it used to do. If you want I actually did a test with some of my ships comparing equally sized weapon systems on four different ships in a video. Punch through gave lots of splash damage. Piercing was concentrated of course. Explosive just destroyed more of those blocks.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    $6 on July 12, 2014

Reaction score
    Thanks for the answers!

Yeah I bought it for $3, but only played a few weeks. I guess I bought it before July 12 but didnt get into it right away. I started fooling with space engineers for a bit. But this has a lot more possibilities.

I hope the different effects like pierce and punch thru get clearly defined roles. Or, if not, than have one taken out, because it would be confusing. I will start doing a few tests in single player to see for myself what they do.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    With 6$ per license it needs a half billion players to get minecraft's value of 2.5 billion $. That is 1/13? of the world population.
    EDIT: With 1$ being (3/4)€, you need abotu 375"000"000 buyers.

But wiith 1 million paying players (about 1/80 of germanys population, was some time ago I checked it) you have income others get in their life-time by working really hard.
    ((EDIT: As a german with 1 million germans paying 6€ each. Might be similar in the USA with $ ))

Last edited: