Some mechanics questions from a newbie.

Reaction score
    Tried to look for an answer to these on the Starmade wiki but it's pretty crap, needs updating.

1. AI behaviour, if I create a "drone" ship designed to be flown by the bobby AI, and stick an AstroTechno-thingy-beam on it, will it fly around and heal my ship when it takes damage?

2. Do power drain beams and power transfer beams benefit from stacking the blocks in groups like other weapons do? And does anyone know the exact numbers for these two systems and how they scale, like one of those useful tables for the AMC Array math on the wiki?

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    AI drones with Astro-tech do work (although a Damaged block must be within their View range and they can not repleace broken blocks). They also can not redock on their own, and will float lifelessly if they can not find a valid target.

Drain and Supply beams do benefit from grouping (More e/s transfer), But I dunno the formula * ^* could always test this yourself with a little bit of Math and experimenting :p

Reactions: Saxopi and Vakna
    Reaction score
    Formula for a single Powerdrainarray/-supplyarray:

n=Number of Blocks in the Array

7/(n^1.2)=Time between each tick

With each tick hitting for 10 000 energy:
    10 000*7/(n^1.2)=Energydrain/supply per second

Edit: To use powerdrain/supply effectivly the array should have atleast 100 blocks. Since e/sec per block keeps increasing you should always use a single array (except you want to hit multiple targets).

Last edited:
    Reactions: BDLS and Vakna
    Reaction score
    You're a star Drag, thanks a bunch. :) And thanks for the confirmation about the healing drones Cyber!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If it hasn't changed and I remember correctly power drain is cut down to 20% (takes 5 times longer) if the power drain beam is hitting anything except power generator blocks or maybe power battery blocks.

Reaction score
    Another question - when you save a blueprint ship with docked turrets, you automatically buy the turrets when buying that blueprint as well, would the same happen if I docked fighters in my ships hangar and saved it?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Another question - when you save a blueprint ship with docked turrets, you automatically buy the turrets when buying that blueprint as well, would the same happen if I docked fighters in my ships hangar and saved it?
    Yes on both accounts.

Reaction score
    Another random question - does a Bobby AI module control systems placed in the 3^3 cube surrounding it, or just the 6 faces they can touch?

Top 4ce

Force or Ace?
    Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Another random question - does a Bobby AI module control systems placed in the 3^3 cube surrounding it, or just the 6 faces they can touch?
    Bobby AI controls the entity that it was placed on, regardless of placement. Just place one anywhere in build mode, and you can access it in person or through the AI tab. You can control the AI of docked turrets and ships through the structures tab.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Yep, you probably saw that on youtube (the vid is outdated). The boby AI module can be placed anywhere, just like the faction block :D