Some info regarding imports/exports of sectors

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    ### Making this thread cos I saw a guy asked years ago how to do it, and he hasn't been around for 3 years according to his profile, so I figured I'd make an info post for anyone looking to do it ###

Ok, so you've got a server, and you're... Idk, doing a reset where you bring peoples' sectors over. You're migrating machines entirely, but the world is WAY too f***ing huge to bring over (Ballpark figure, around 10 gig of data cos of the age of the world)... So you want to import the sectors. Here's how, in simple terms.

Step 1: Run the export command (/export_sector). This is how it should be, without the quotes: "/export_sector YourSectorName".

Step 2: Head to the FTP (basically the files) of your server, and head to the directory "/starmade/sector-export" and download the smsec file for your sector to export.

Step 3: Move over to the same directory on the FTP of your *new* server, and just drop it right on in. Nothing special here, jsut upload into the folder and you're done.

Step 4: This one took me a little bit to work out: To import, use this command, again, sans quotes: "/import_sector X Y Z YourSectorName". The breakdown of this one is simple: the X Y Z cords relate to the destination, so if you want to paste in a new spawn you can... Just make sure that you clear everything you don't want to lose first, as it will overwrite the entire sector's data. Also, make sure you don't have the sector loaded on the server when you do the import, or it won't work, apparently. Easiest way to do it: Reboot the server and be the first one to rejoin and run the command.

And... that's it! You've just successfully transferred a whole sector over, items and all.