Some form of classification system

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I think it would be very good to have a classification system in the game.

Firstly I think that one should at least currently try to avoid using the typical names, frigate, battlecruiser, dreadnought etc etc. Currently some people's dreadnought is another person's frigate.

The reason I think we should have a classification system is simply so that one could easily by reading a code would be able to understand approximately what kind of ship it is.

I think one should take into account two factors:
    - mass
    - blueprint statistics points

and make it into some kind of abbreviation for ships.

Example (just an example):
    Class 1 OFF

Class 1 could mean come certain weight class, then the OFF, would be some kind of abbreviation for the priorities the ship has in the different statistics, example very good offensive capabilities.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    No solid classification systems in the game, please.

The Blueprint point system that we're getting just needs to be fixed up so we can have a good idea of how offensive/defensive/maneuverable a ship is - I believe that was the original intent.

I think we're supposed to also be getting some sort of tools for server owners to be able to set classification guidelines up using the point system after it's finished...?

Reactions: Lidren
    Reaction score

The Blueprint point system that we're getting just needs to be fixed up so we can have a good idea of how offensive/defensive/maneuverable a ship is - I believe that was the original intent.

I think we're supposed to also be getting some sort of tools for server owners to be able to set classification guidelines up using the point system after it's finished...?
    I have to agree with this. One of the reason the OP gives for having this is exactly why this wouldn't work, one persons frigate is anthers dreadnought. Depending on various things like server settings for max ship size, or RP a standard classification wouldn't work.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor

Yep, I agree.

Plus, lets face it, there is absolutly zero need for such a system. What more is it going to add?

Reaction score
    Still trying to wrap my head around how one person's frigate is another's dreadnought when the size of an astronaut is fixed.

What is the pro to this mindset of not wanting classifications? Is it a roleplay thing? I can't really.. figure it out.

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    Still trying to wrap my head around how one person's frigate is another's dreadnought when the size of an astronaut is fixed.
    You take fifty different Sci-Fi series, and you get fifty different ship classification systems. What's a frigate in EVE Online is a fighter in Star Wars, and a frigate in Star Wars is a destroyer in EVE, a cruiser in Star Trek doesn't even have a set size because all the species have their own scaling system, etc.

NFD and Thryn, for instance - an NFD scout ship is slower than Thryn's slowest capital ship, and is a good three times the size of a Thryn scout ship.

Reaction score
    You take fifty different Sci-Fi series, and you get fifty different ship classification systems. What's a frigate in EVE Online is a fighter in Star Wars, and a frigate in Star Wars is a destroyer in EVE, a cruiser in Star Trek doesn't even have a set size because all the species have their own scaling system, etc.

NFD and Thryn, for instance - their scout ship is slower than Thryn's slowest capital ship, and is a good three times the size of a Thryn scout ship.
    I thought that's why OP said to not use a previously implemented system, you could for example say that for every power of 10 mass the ship has, it is of the next 'class', for each tier above 100, so
    1-100 C1
    101-1000 C2
    1001-10000 C3
    (ok, maybe not the best idea since there's a lot of wiggle room after 10,000-100,000, but the concept is there)

As to someone asking what value it puts, since you CAN already see the mass of the ship from the nav window... Not much, though it would be nice to not have to read the number, glance at the call out of a C3-O, and know it's somewhat big, and geared for offensive...

*shrug* I see some value.. enough to not write it off entirely. I mean, they did implement statistics ratings so I don't see why this is too abhorrent a concept

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Classifications can be good for providing targets and restrictions.
    Creativity flourishes with both.

How many posts would there be that pop up for best x class y?
    Hell look at the drone thread as a example.

Reactions: Control

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I've got a few slight changes for this idea. Why force a particular naming system when the devs can give us in game tools to setup our own? This way the devs can avoid hard coding names for different levels of ships and stations into the game but at the same time give us a way to custom build our own naming system into the game. :) This would give us what we want without forcing the devs to do something they are trying to avoid. :D

Reactions: Lidren

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I've got a few slight changes for this idea. Why force a particular naming system when the devs can give us in game tools to setup our own? This way the devs can avoid hard coding names for different levels of ships and stations into the game but at the same time give us a way to custom build our own naming system into the game. :) This would give us what we want without forcing the devs to do something they are trying to avoid. :D
    Because you can do that now by tacking it onto the end of blueprints names. I have my own classification system (and so do a lot of factions) that works on set rules similar to what OP is describing. It factors in size and role to create the ships classification, exactly like op stated, the only issue is that it's not uniform across everyone. If you give people creativity in their ship classifications, they will be useless and might as well be part of the name like they are now, because everyone will use different systems. The only way to make this work well would be to force everyone into the same rules with the same outputs.

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Even just some defined mass stratum would add a lot of structure, even if they are just numbers.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Devs have SPECIFICALLY SAID there will never be an official classification system.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Devs have SPECIFICALLY SAID there will never be an official classification system.
    However they never said they wouldn't give us a tool for making our own defined classifications in game without having to add it to the name. :)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    However they never said they wouldn't give us a tool for making our own defined classifications in game without having to add it to the name. :)
    Why would we need that, though? Just add it to the name.