Some figures for Missiles.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi, i'm French, so I will try to make some improvements in the future.

I made a French Tutorial here that, I'm trying to translate : http://www.starmade.fr/threads/guide-info-appelez-%C3%A7a-comme-vous-voulez-les-missiles.674/#post-7077

You're may wondering : What's the best way to do efficient damages with missiles ? Do a 10 missiles launchers of 10 blocks ? Or only one of 100 blocks ?

I'll try to answer this. That why i made this board :

The last line "Différence de DPS" means how many damage deals missiles per second comparing with the previous (This is proportionnal, I mean, 2 cannons of 10 block deals 1 DPS more than 1 of 20).

All theses values are picked In-Game, and all missiles types have the same values. Shape of missiles launcher doesn't matter.

The first thing I noticed is that from 5 blocks, every time you double the numbers of blocks you have in your missiles launchers, you add 50 damages points. It means the more block you have, the more blocks you will need to increase the damage ! (To double the damage of 100 blocks, you will need more than 4000 blocks to add !)

So, what the most efficient ?

Here is a board that can help you (it summarize the last lines) :

I failed in the last line, it's 5 000.

Now, if you don't like board and figures, you will maybe like charts :

The speed of missiles seems increase slowly ....

instead of the reload speed, that reduce significantly !

Oh, and, just a note : More missiles are better if they, mostly all hit the target, but with a large one, the DPS is depending mostly of the numbers of successful hit.

With 10 missiles launchers of 10 blocks, you have a potential of 1500 damages, instead of one with 100 blocks, that can deal 316 damages. And if only 3 missiles hit the target, that deals even more.

But, with a longer missiles launcher, you will increase the speed reload, the speed of the missiles and the radius.

I found the best size for missiles launcher (for the best DPS) : 12 . Remember that's a proportional DPS.

Meaning that a 10 missiles of 12 blocks are better than 12 of 10 blocks.

Just, dont make your missiles longer than 50, that's just wasting blocks.

And don't forget, as said more down, missile have radius, that why you take them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Thanks ! I will try to to the same for Salvage Cannons an Antimatter Canons.

Reaction score
    Missiles are mostly meant to put big craters in ships once the shields are already down or mostly down. Speed is the most important stat past a certain size so they can get there quickly and hit the target while it is weak, and it seems to scale really poorly.

Reaction score
    Impressive research and translation. This will help people a lot, especially with missile based ships

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen

I edit the topic, the best missiles\' size is 12 for DPS. (Proportionnaly)

Reaction score
    Missiles are harder to evaluate than antimatter cannons , which have a basic dps curve (single block is best) and steadily increasing range / speed. Radius is important when destroying large ships , but not small ones.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    True, missiles size are depending of how you will use it.

Reaction score
    I wasn\'t even looking for this, but I\'m glad I stumbled across it! Very good info...

Reaction score
    And is there a way to make the output where i want it? (like you can do by AMC)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think yes, but I\'m not sure. Output for missiles and AMC are pretty buggy for me.

I will post tomorow more figures about Storage, AMC, Salvage and maybe Thrust(Shape matter :[ )

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Double-checked myself, noticed what you said was the best block count for missile DPS (12) didn\'t match up with my calculations.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArfBRDTBNF_LdHlYN1NkYzZ4UENnV1RaNk5iVHlxWUE&usp=sharing

I recorded the data for 1-21 blocks worth of missiles (SD-KBs, initially), then 3^3, 4^3, and 5^3 collections of missile blocks, and then checked D1000s and SD-BBs, which had the same exact values for everything.

There are of course other factors than merely proportional DPS. If you want to know how much damage you can do, you might consider the damage per block, which appears to peak at size 3 and go down from there. However, the missile speed is so low and reload so high at that point that it is probably pointless to use such slow missiles on anything that isn\'t stationary and out of firing range (or unarmed). Of course, a shotgun-pattern blast of several hundred size-3 d1000s could probably put some nice holes in a station still, and if you wanted to max out your missile alpha damage against stationary targets (as opposed to your ability to repeatedly fire salvos that are dangerous to spaceships), lots and lots of size-3s might be the way to do it (assuming you don\'t lag the server into simplifying or ignoring your missiles, of course).

Reaction score
    You need to take the radius into account for your DPS. In my own testing I found doing Damage * Reload (in seconds) * Radius to give a better mark of DPS.

I found the \"sweet spot\" being between 14-30 depending on if you want more or stronger for your build. The damage for these was about 575-600 dps per 100 blocks (so 6 x 15 for example, or 4 x 20)

Winterhome

Way gayer than originally thought.
    Reaction score
    I\'m actually working on a ship that has a series of missiles stacked behind eachother specifically for drilling purposes - through ships, specifically. If shields or hardened hulls are an issue, you can just remove radius in favor of damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t know if we can count the radius for the DPS and if damage are the same in the radius, but as a missile, its goal is to explodes structures. DPS isn\'t Reload * Damage, in missile, but Damage/Reload, reload in \"Seconds\".

I will add a lign for DPS*Radius.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I totally agree, that just a potential firepower, actually, that can just work on stationary object.

I rely on your calcuations for the 11 (I don\'t know how I manage to delete the files).

As you said, Damage isn\'t all, Speed and Radius are important values too.

The hard thing in a lot of small missiles is to put them in the ships, without ruining the estethic of it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s monstruous how fast the bigger missile reloads for gargantuously more damage. Fire rate is one thing I think should have a treshold at which point it should either stops/grows slower or start becoming invertly proportional to size.. I mean. Especially with missiles, it doesn\'t make any sense.

Personal thought aside, really useful numbers, thanks for your work :)