Solved! - Starmade Starter causing computer crash/extreme slowdown

Reaction score
    EDIT: I found out the cause of the problem with some help. The problem was caused by having both a 64-bit and a 32-bit version of java, I am now using just the 32-bit version, and it is working fine.

Hi, I have been experiencing a, intermittent bug where opening the starmade starter causes my computer to go into a super slow mode. This occurs about 50% of the time when I open it. Run as administrator does not solve it. Pressing ctrl alt delete occasionally works, and task manager shows low ram use, low cpu use, nothing out of ordinary. When ctrl alt delete does not work I wait 2-3 minutes then get this message:

"Log on process has failed to create the security options dialog" and it goes on a bit.

Then, sometimes 10-15 minutes later, starmade starter opens, if I wait that long.... but the computer is still really slow even then. The only solution is to hold down the power button for 10 seconds.

The other 50% of the time, starmade starter opens immediately and works fine.

Computer details: Dell inspiron 15R intel i5-3210, AMD 7730, 600GB free HDD, 4GB ram, windows 7. (I have tried updating drivers, i think i have the latest versions)

Ask if you need more info to help solve this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    the simplest solution would be to up your ram to begin with as windows 7 uses 2gis of ram straight of the bat i no you stated that ram useage is low but you could be getting spikes in usage also between your cpu and graphics cards as both are used to drawer ingame images if what your loading has a high drawer rate that could be your problem also if you have a lot of ziped backups and save games in your starmade folder that can also cause slowdowns just a few sugestions please excuse the wall of text grammers not my strong point

Reaction score
    Thanks for your reply Demsbones, this problem is happening before starmade starts though, I doubt the starter UI is too much for the gpu (either) or overloading the ram. The HDD light flashes at about the idle rate while this is happening too.

Reaction score
    Periods are useful because they can help tell others when sentences end and it gets really annoying when the entire paragraph is the sentence while people are trying to read it and cannot find the end to the sentence while continuing to read and it gets really annoying to continue reading something something that doesnt end because its annoying

See what I did there?

Reaction score
    Have you tried to use different computer components? As in, did you try swapping out ram/harddrive/vidya card/motherboard/processor?

Reaction score
    Crusader, this is a laptop. Also, clearing my java cache did not seem to work.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I have seen the same thing, but with slightly different patterning -- with CPU usage as an issue. It may not be the same exact issue, but I think it\'s related.

I don\'t think it\'s a RAM issue at all. I periodically start up the game (single player) and it will hang at 99% while loading up, then finally load and then... everything... becomes... a bad ... Kirk... joke.

I managed to get Task Manager up (after a long wait) and to my great surprise it wasn\'t RAM at all... but CPU time. 100%, both cores, eaten up by the JVM process (javaw.exe) and svchost (.dll) process. Also causes my CPU to run really hot, so as soon as I realized it I shut the game down and gave my computer a break. The GPU was sitting doing nothing, incidentally, which I found odd. Cool as a cucumber.

My best unprofessional guess is that there\'s some sort of glitch introduced in the latest patch that periodically causes the game to load in wrong and continue to run some process forever, repeatedly, keeping the CPU infinitely and recursively busy until it causes the entire computer to grind to ... a... halt... Jim. As soon as the game is shut down, the problem vanishes, but just to be on the safe side, whenever it happens I reboot before I start the game back up again.

Hope this helps.